U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 08:46 AM

1 posts, read 1,780 times

Advertisements

I am looking for a mechanic in South or Southeast Charlotte to do a 60,000 check on my 2004 Outback. I'm not having any problems but I don't want to pay $750 that Folger's want to do it.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2009, 08:53 AM

2 posts, read 3,388 times
Why not search among "services" in various classifieds sites?

Old 09-24-2009, 09:45 AM

320 posts, read 1,072,847 times
I actually have to go get my 75,000 mile service done on my Toyota Corolla.

I'd suggest taking it to the service department at the dealership. They usually know your type of vehicle best. I had new rotors put on about 8 months ago at an independent shop and now my brakes are squeeling.

Old 09-24-2009, 11:46 AM

22,583 posts, read 50,984,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vvaillancourt View Post
I am looking for a mechanic in South or Southeast Charlotte to do a 60,000 check on my 2004 Outback. I'm not having any problems but I don't want to pay $750 that Folger's want to do it.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
My husband was an auto mechanic for years and years and years in Lee and Collier counties. A foreman, too. I wish he was still there, for your sake. We don't know anyone up in that area, and even in his past areas, the good ones have moved away. I'll tell you what, though, $750 is beyond ridiculous.

Chicken Wing: That scenario can go either way. Some dealerships are very good, but most will charge more and some will cheat you just like an independent can. The dealership mechanics do know your model, because they do it over and over, but that doesn't make them great mechanics. Some are great though, and some have the "assembly line" mentality. If you give them another kind of car and ask them what's wrong with it, they don't know what to do.

Sorry. I know that none of this is much help. But, once again, $750 is crazy. Are you sure about that price? Are they doing something else to the vehicle? What, specifically, do they say they are doing? I'm going to ask my husband about this when he gets home.

Old 09-24-2009, 12:38 PM

14,267 posts, read 17,605,002 times
I agree with Hiknapster, unless there were some repairs included. I thought the $390 for a my 30,000 mile Camry service was outrageous, so I got the "limited 30,000 service" for $199. I don't have an Outback, so I obviously can't tell you what a dealership charges, but $300 sounds more reasonable to me. I know some very honest mechanics in Fort Myers & Naples, but that's probably too far for you to travel.

Old 09-24-2009, 01:08 PM

6,222 posts, read 7,139,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I know some very honest mechanics in Fort Myers & Naples, but that's probably too far for you to travel.

To save $300-400.00 driving an extra 30 miles doesnt sound like a bad deal to me......at 14 mpg in town, I'd drive farther than that to save that much coin.

Old 09-24-2009, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtcare View Post
To save $300-400.00 driving an extra 30 miles doesnt sound like a bad deal to me......at 14 mpg in town, I'd drive farther than that to save that much coin.
Well, I highly recommend John Campbell at Campbell's Auto Center in Estero. Waiting room isn't very fancy, but it it's a nice day, you can sit outside on a bench and read a magazine. It's on 41 near Corkscrew. Ask for John. In Naples I had an emergency when I worked off of Pine Ridge Rd and Joe, the owner of Aline's Regal Tire & Auto, was very honest. I mean, how many tire shops tell you your tires are okay and you don't need new ones? They also have an auto repair shop and work on both domestic & foreign cars. I like straight talk from a mechanic, not a sales pitch. I drew a blank, but just came back to add Master Tech Imports in Naples. They're not cheap at all IMO, but they seem to know what they're doing.

Just a warning!! I had a Hyundai Sonata and didn't want to spend the extra $500 to replace the timing belt. The owner's manual suggests changing it at 60,000 miles. Maybe that's why your estimate is so high. If it is, $750 isn't that far off. I'll tell you why. I had 54,000 miles on my Sonata when the belt broke and crushed the valves in my engine. The car was a very large paper weight after that.

Last edited by justNancy; 09-24-2009 at 02:09 PM.. Reason: add another name

Old 09-24-2009, 04:45 PM

Since we run our own business, we have the official estimator. It's Mitchell 1 and it's right on my computer.

We looked up the Subaru.

The most you would pay in labor, with us, is about $150. If we replaced the air and oil filter and the air cleaner and changed and added all the fluids, it would be about another $150. Bear in mind, though, that we charge $25 (!) an hour.

ATTENTION MODS: This is not an ad. We live 700+ miles away. Just helping some friends figure out what to do about their vehicle!

Old 09-24-2009, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Since we run our own business, we have the official estimator. It's Mitchell 1 and it's right on my computer.

We looked up the Subaru.

The most you would pay in labor, with us, is about $150. If we replaced the air and oil filter and the air cleaner and changed and added all the fluids, it would be about another $150. Bear in mind, though, that we charge $25 (!) an hour.

ATTENTION MODS: This is not an ad. We live 700+ miles away. Just helping some friends figure out what to do about their vehicle!
I should do the math and see if it's worth driving from Florida to Tennessee. I'm not so sure my tires will make it, however. Don't know what's wrong with this car. I've had 2 four wheel alignments and all 4 wheels balanced more often than with any other car. 2 sets of tires in 35K miles. Ready for a third.

Old 09-24-2009, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I should do the math and see if it's worth driving from Florida to Tennessee. I'm not so sure my tires will make it, however. Don't know what's wrong with this car. I've had 2 four wheel alignments and all 4 wheels balanced more often than with any other car. 2 sets of tires in 35K miles. Ready for a third.
You're welcome to come visit anytime!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area