Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 07:36 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,491,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtcare View Post
Not tryin' to be uppity about it Frank, but that's actually route 301....I'd hate to see you blow a 35 year streak because you thought you were on the road without the speed traps......
Oh Yes! Yachcare, you are indeed right, and I stand corrected. that route does look tempting to Leesburg, but everything I have read about that devils triangle of speed traps makes me avoid it. I'm more of a get there fast turnpike type, so I think this time I'm taking the 95 to 4 to SR-46 route over to 441 to 27.

Anyway, I do not want to hi-jack this thread...i know it is about the Ft. Myers area....

Frank
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2009, 07:26 AM

1,210 posts, read 3,269,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
I try not to go 5 miles over the speed limit, although if I'm not paying attention my foot will get tired and I will go a little faster. Therefore on long trips I use my cruise control. Rt 390 is one of the biggest speed trap areas I've ever been on!
although I myself may run 5-9 miles over the limit, I wonder, in the event of an accident, if the police or insurance could prove you were speeding, by means of traffic camera or taking some sort of reading from the car electronics, would the insurance be invalidated and you would be on the hook for the costs and liability of the incident?

Old 10-11-2009, 02:23 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,033,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kroeran View Post
although I myself may run 5-9 miles over the limit, I wonder, in the event of an accident, if the police or insurance could prove you were speeding, by means of traffic camera or taking some sort of reading from the car electronics, would the insurance be invalidated and you would be on the hook for the costs and liability of the incident?
I think about that all the time. They can tell how fast you were going. They've been able to do that for years. So my GUESS is even though a cop may not mind you going 7 mph over the speed limit the insurance company surely will nail you. They are just LOOKING for a reason. I don't want to give them one.

It's nice to see I'm not the only one that thinks that way.

Old 10-11-2009, 08:59 PM

2,305 posts, read 3,017,061 times
Being the owner of a trucking co. with trucks traveling form southwest florida to the northeast my drivers all take I-75 to 331 (SE Williston rd) in Gainsville which turns into 24. They then get on 301 in Waldo, the place you all dread so much. Not one of them have ever had a problem through there because they know to just do the speed limit like in alot of small towns in america. Then you cross under I-10 taking 301 north to Callahan. Taking Florida A1A you go east until you run into I-95.

In all my years of driving both truck and my own personal vehicles I have tryed almost every route and I always find this to be the easiest and most peaceful route. I have not been on I-4 in probably 10 years and I hope to never have to go on that road again if I don't have to.

Old 10-11-2009, 09:16 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,825,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I think about that all the time. They can tell how fast you were going. They've been able to do that for years. So my GUESS is even though a cop may not mind you going 7 mph over the speed limit the insurance company surely will nail you. They are just LOOKING for a reason. I don't want to give them one.

It's nice to see I'm not the only one that thinks that way.
Depends on the state and its laws. Some won't pay the driver if he was negligent and caused the accident. Other states use what's called comparative negligence that allows an injured party to recover some damages for his own injuries, even if he was partially at fault. What I mean is that, if an injured person is partially at fault for causing his own injuries, his damages are reduced by the percentage of his fault. OTOH, you should always carry Personal Injury Protection & Uninsured Motorist Protection in FL since Florida is a "no fault" state. (Then it doesn't matter who is at fault) However, if the other guy was at fault, your insurance company will try to collect from his insurance. Your insurance company will probably dump you if you are high risk or raise your rates, however. . Just keep the maximum coverage you can get.

I'm not even sure I even understand what I just wrote.

Last edited by justNancy; 10-11-2009 at 09:26 PM.. Reason: corect typo

Old 10-21-2009, 04:15 PM

376 posts, read 906,268 times
Okay ~ thanks to everyone. We took 29 to 27 right to 4.... it was a LOT better than 75 to 4. Thanks for the heads up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area