Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2009, 08:59 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,873,168 times

Advertisements

In spite of all the crime in the area,I'm seeing mostly dope and break ins.I'm really not seeing any viloent crimes unless they know each other and usually drug related.The news press posts arrests every day and most of the crimes involve property.I don't see a lot of need to worry.....I think Ft Myers/Cape is a lot safer than most people believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2009, 12:45 PM

1,210 posts, read 3,283,061 times
I would think anyone doing daytime touristy things South of Page Field won't have any trouble.

if you are heading downtown (which is looking really good!) after dark, take McGregor rather than 75&Palm or the 41/Trail, otherwise stick to restaurants along 41/Trail at Daniels or areas and routes you know, and don't go "exploring" unfamiliar areas after dark.

regardless, I havn't heard of any of my fellow tourists/snowbirds getting into trouble of any kind.

Old 10-12-2009, 01:30 PM

455 posts, read 978,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samiamnh View Post
In spite of all the crime in the area,I'm seeing mostly dope and break ins.I'm really not seeing any viloent crimes unless they know each other and usually drug related.The news press posts arrests every day and most of the crimes involve property.I don't see a lot of need to worry.....I think Ft Myers/Cape is a lot safer than most people believe.
I think everybody's noticed that. Seems like 9 out of 10 times, when it comes to something like a Home Invasion, somebody knew somebody had drugs or money in the house, etc.

Then, along comes some really tragic case like the Sheriff's Explorer killed at the convenience store.

That's not to say there's some REALLY creepy areas that people would always be wise to avoid but that stuff happens in any town of a decent size.

Old 10-12-2009, 03:04 PM

455 posts, read 978,672 times
Typical acquaintance crime. I feel so bad for the victimized children.

Children fend off man who broke into Lehigh home | news-press.com | The News-Press

Old 10-12-2009, 06:25 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,267,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kroeran View Post
I would think anyone doing daytime touristy things South of Page Field won't have any trouble.

if you are heading downtown (which is looking really good!) after dark, take McGregor rather than 75&Palm or the 41/Trail, otherwise stick to restaurants along 41/Trail at Daniels or areas and routes you know, and don't go "exploring" unfamiliar areas after dark.

regardless, I havn't heard of any of my fellow tourists/snowbirds getting into trouble of any kind.
Just one word of caution, here. Just south of Paige Field is Pine Manor. That area is not safe. Other than that, I agree with with everything else posted by everyone so far.

Old 10-13-2009, 09:01 AM

206 posts, read 449,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samiamnh View Post
If that's the case, and it seems to be so why are so many people on this board so paranoid about crime and intruders and feel the need to have loaded guns within reach to shoot someone.

Some of you make it sound like you live in a war zone.

Old 10-13-2009, 06:13 PM

18 posts, read 110,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby24 View Post
If that's the case, and it seems to be so why are so many people on this board so paranoid about crime and intruders and feel the need to have loaded guns within reach to shoot someone.

Some of you make it sound like you live in a war zone.
I was wondering the same thing. I've lived here just a couple of months, from a "rough" neighborhood in Boston, and the way people talk, it seems like half the population here are serious criminals and we shouldn't leave our houses. Half the yards seem to be protected by pit bulls and security systems. But when I look at the police log in the paper, it's mostly drug arrests or parole violations. I've never felt safer.

Old 10-13-2009, 07:07 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,267,233 times
I think it has to do with perspective. If you are from a rough neighborhood in Boston or Detroit, then Fort Myers is Mayberry. I'm from a small town in Mass. It had very little crime and I am certain of that because I was the crime reporter.

I also think it depends on your neighborhood. Some are horrible and some are fine.

I first moved to Orlando. That was a complete shock! Lots of crime. In the end, though, I liked it more than Lee County. More to do, friendlier folks, more and better jobs.

I HAD to move to Fort Myers.

I just thought that most of the area attracted a lot of "trash" and people that seemed to be looking out for Number One, sometimes trying to reach into your pocket at the same time. Every place in America has those people but there seemed to be a disproportionate amount of them.

A lot of the people down there come from the same area. I find it interesting that a lot of people on the forum don't find the people to be rude. I suppose if you are used to those people than it doesn't seem like a complete shock.

Some places fit like a glove for some people.

The bottom line is Lee County is not a war zone. It has a high crime rate, though, and not all of it is reported in the news. I highly doubt you are going to get shot while going to the grocery store, though.

However, it's pretty low rent.

Old 10-13-2009, 08:21 PM

515 posts, read 1,589,956 times
There is one crime that doesn't seem to go away. People who go the the beach and leave their possessions locked in their cars at the access parking supplied by the cities are getting broken into left and right. It seems to alway be in the news.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area