Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 04:59 AM

317 posts, read 772,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post

"From these definitions and examples, it can be seen that the total unemployment figures cover more than the number of persons who have lost jobs. It includes persons who have quit their jobs to look for other employment, workers whose temporary jobs have ended, persons looking for their first jobs, and experienced workers looking for jobs after an absence from the labor force (for example, a woman who returns to the labor force after her children have entered school)."
Hmm. Interesting that it would include those who've quit their jobs. While I guess they are still technically unemployed, it doesn't reflect a loss of jobs just an unwillingness on the persons part not to do that particular one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2009, 10:28 AM

6,218 posts, read 7,729,420 times
Okay, it's getting too technical, and hair splitting for me now.

In the end, the number is an "indicator", something Hiknapster alluded too many threads ago.....

The point I was going after, is that the numbers reported in the MSM, is typically higher by some percentage, that is also averaged, using alot of those same hair splitting statistics.

All of that notwithstanding, the rate has continued to climb. Watching this rate over the next couple of months, will begin to tell the tale as to what is happening within the local economy.

Old 10-17-2009, 12:39 PM

Not disagreeing with any of that... the only reason I brought up how employment numbers were calculated is because a previous poster said that he thought it was *too* high because of people who aren't looking for work.

Old 10-17-2009, 08:05 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Exactly. It is an indicator, because we really don't know how accurate it is. We all agree on that. I remember from the early 80s and that recession; they believed even then that the real numbers were higher. I can remember Linda Ellerbee saying that on the overnight news.

All we really know is that it goes up and it goes down, and some counties are worse than others. The state statistics are meaningless unless you live in Rhode Island, and maybe not even then. There is too much territory to lump everyone in together.

But I haul out the explanation because inevitably someone starts asking what that includes, usually implying that the number is too high and that unemployment isn't THAT bad. Always.

And everyone thinks they are special and the numbers don't apply to them. Everyone else is a lazy Bozo but they are the sharpest nail in the tool box.

Old 10-19-2009, 11:19 AM

433 posts, read 1,012,013 times
I've been on unemployment and I know how it works. Whether or not the number that is released pertains to those actively looking for work or not it is not overly accurate. Of the people on unemployment the fact is that many of them are only looking for "certain" types of jobs. There were many places I could have gone and probably scored a job when I had unemployment but I used the time to try to find a really good job..

So my point is that if someone is looking to move to Florida or anywhere else and just make ends meet so that they can stay there, they shouldn't be that concerned with the unemployment rate .. especially since Florida has a tourist season and certain area's have a peak season during the winter. It's one of the few area's in the country where it's more likely to get a job in the winter than in the spring/summer/fall. Many jobs are held by college kids who leave for winter break and that coincides with anticipated increases in tourists and other events during the winter that require restaurants, bars, and other service area's to hire. Most of you people and the people on unemployment don't even know that because you would never do that type of work. It's easier to just type doom and gloom on an internet forum.

Old 10-19-2009, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^Eagle^ View Post
I've been on unemployment and I know how it works. Whether or not the number that is released pertains to those actively looking for work or not it is not overly accurate. Of the people on unemployment the fact is that many of them are only looking for "certain" types of jobs. There were many places I could have gone and probably scored a job when I had unemployment but I used the time to try to find a really good job..

So my point is that if someone is looking to move to Florida or anywhere else and just make ends meet so that they can stay there, they shouldn't be that concerned with the unemployment rate .. especially since Florida has a tourist season and certain area's have a peak season during the winter. It's one of the few area's in the country where it's more likely to get a job in the winter than in the spring/summer/fall. Many jobs are held by college kids who leave for winter break and that coincides with anticipated increases in tourists and other events during the winter that require restaurants, bars, and other service area's to hire. Most of you people and the people on unemployment don't even know that because you would never do that type of work. It's easier to just type doom and gloom on an internet forum.
You've lost me. Who are you referring to?

You are assuming. You have no idea who worked in service jobs in the past or present. Further, even the people that haven't would certainly know that the Lee County work force is based in the service area and there is a "season." You don't have to wait tables to figure that out.

Old 10-21-2009, 10:26 AM

433 posts, read 1,012,013 times
Quote:
You've lost me. Who are you referring to?

You are assuming. You have no idea who worked in service jobs in the past or present. Further, even the people that haven't would certainly know that the Lee County work force is based in the service area and there is a "season." You don't have to wait tables to figure that out.
My point is that the unemployment level is treated by so many people on this board as such an indicator of the toughness to find a job but it really isn't. I'm in the service industry. The hardest hit area's of your state are not in the service industry. They are in things like real estate and construction. Most construction and real estate workers on unemployment are looking for like-wise jobs and are not going to end up barbacking or waiting tables in the service industry. Service industry people with service industry experience will end up working those jobs and those jobs really start to hire around the middle of December. Yes the bad economy makes people spend less and no the tourism probably isn't what it used to be but it's still a heck of a lot better than in most states in this country in the months of January, February, and March.

I'm just tired of the people who watch the news and are all doom and gloom the world will end don't relocate to Florida over the unemployment rate and news of economy. For some unemployed it's just a excuse not to look very hard for work. It just makes me sick how sheeplike a lot of people are.

The reality of the fact is that the jobs in this entire country, many of them are gone for good. The soonest there will be some sort of job recovery will be in 2012. A while ago they were saying 2010 and now it's 2012. If you guys want to put your life on hold and feel sorry for yourselves because of what the media spoonfeeds you -- be my guest. Not me. I'm going to head down to FLorida and I am going to get myself a job within the same month. Then I am going to come on these forums and rub it in everyones face. Crying about the economy is for lazy negative people. Yes some people have been totally screwed and are in a desperate situation but there are many more who arn't and just think they are.

Old 10-21-2009, 11:56 AM

Quote:
I'm in the service industry.

I'm going to head down to FLorida and I am going to get myself a job within the same month. Then I am going to come on these forums and rub it in everyones face.
Well, bless your heart. You sound young. I am sure that you will do well. We are really discussing older people with families and responsibilities. Bury that attitude though, or you are going to get really crappy tips!

Old 10-21-2009, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Well, bless your heart. You sound young.

Bury that attitude though, or you are going to get really crappy tips!

Old 10-21-2009, 02:04 PM

1,210 posts, read 3,283,882 times
Quote:
I'm going to head down to FLorida and I am going to get myself a job within the same month. .
yes, the other way to look at it is that there is 87% employment.

Assuming you are not quitting a secure job and sticking your neck out with mortage and kids to support, you may be right. Your twenties is the time to take a few rolls of the dice, and as well, where you start to put roots down is where you will be stuck.

Secret indeed is wearing out shoe leather, having no visible tatoos or piercings, dress like a disney employee, project a sense of energy and be capable of smiling and have basic manners.

I think Florida is worth fighting for if you are very motivated, assuming you are willing to trade the weather for lower income, put up with the summer and are willing hustle.

If I was in your shoes, assuming you don't have spanish, I would try Orlando, Tampa or Jacksonville rather than further south. With spanish, I might consider Miami. Get spanish anyway.

In school, maybe try to get some health care creds.

anyway, observations of an outsider
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area