Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2009, 09:35 AM

376 posts, read 910,404 times

Advertisements

another expert calling the bottom ~ sooner or later, someone will be correct:

Resale home inventory lingers - cape-coral-daily-breeze.com | News, sports, community info. - Cape Coral Daily Breeze
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 10:02 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,089,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobums View Post
another expert calling the bottom ~ sooner or later, someone will be correct:

Resale home inventory lingers - cape-coral-daily-breeze.com | News, sports, community info. - Cape Coral Daily Breeze

I just got back from the cape on friday. Although I saw a lot of good signs such as more people working on their homes, and some previously uncompleted homes getting bought up and finished. I was a little concerned that the previous for sale signs were replaced with for rent signs. I also noticed a large increase in listings that are no longer short sales, or foreclosures at low prices which is largely attributed to "flipping".

Even on my street there was a house that sold for 72k and was only lived in for 6 mos before being resold for 97k within the same year. It's not going to help inventories if they are being put back on after being sold.

I just ran an MLS search for "active" listings in cape coral (single family homes) and it was 2048 listings. The net reduction has been running at 200 per month. The inventory is obviously not going to run all the way to zero. I haven't determined yet what would be a normal amount of inventory. Some use the figure of 8-9% of total housing units, others would use 3-6 months worth of sales. Without too much thought I would guess 2400-2800 being what the inventories should be.

Calling a bottom is hard. "affordable housing" has already bottomed and has headed upwards. Mid range 200k-300k seems to have stabilized. Higher end homes are still heading down and need to drop at least another 20% before they reach a price that people are willing to buy. So do we have to wait til all segments of the market stop falling before it's officially the bottom? If so we are not there yet. Also Cape Coral has a lot of open land, with no construction this will not bottom any time soon either.

Last edited by nhkev; 11-03-2009 at 10:28 AM..

Old 11-03-2009, 10:40 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,089,107 times
although I read a lot of realtor blogs I think this team is one of the best. They seem to really understand real estate not just how to sell houses. They seem to do a lot of research and are willing to share it. I get the opinion that they call it as they see it. you can read some of there other recent posts as well.
It’s Official-3rd Quarter Sales Sets All-Time record | Southwest Florida Real Estate Updates
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area