Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 04:59 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,931,918 times

Advertisements

Have you considered a move to AZ? It's very sunny there and a lot closer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2009, 05:09 PM

1 posts, read 2,573 times
I moved down here 8 years ago from Los Angeles/New York to be closer to my family. I'm not that old, a young 50. What a mistake, I wanted to rent and the realtor convinced me to buy a house on the water with gulf access. I'm used to the culture, good food, GREAT food, art, activities that a big city delivers. Though hopping in the boat and catching a beautiful sunset and maybe a dolphin or two with your honey isn't so bad. I can do that while on vacation some where. If you want to get some food down here, basically it all SUCKS!!! Unless, you spend a fortune then it isn't so bad. It's not a bad place to live, but if your from up north I guarantee you you'll soon be questioning if you made the right decision. I suggest renting something at first and see if it's a place you can live in. As for me, I'm a creative. And this place is a creative vacuum, a media mediocrity. This place is so far behind the times they think they are leading the pack, but it's not a bad place to come to die.

I can only sum it like this. "If a man were to come down here and say he had an idea for an animated mouse....... they'd put him in jail down here. And one of us from up north would have to go and bail "Walt Disney" (rest his soul) out.

Lost in Florida

(New York here I come)

Old 12-24-2009, 05:49 PM

1,210 posts, read 3,283,678 times
yeah, if you place more value on creative and fictional representations of things and events, more than actual personal experience and adventure, and the wanna-be hangers-on culture that attaches itself to the so-called creative community, and the idolatry of fame, then SWF is not for that.

Old 12-25-2009, 06:02 AM

3,418 posts, read 7,788,532 times
Drummer-

Now that we know more about your situation we can give more specific advice.

I agree with the others and rent first. You'll do fine. I do think the heat will be a problem for you.

It sounds like you'll be leaving every spring and summer so a house would entail extra expenses when you are not there. You have to pay someone to mow the lawn, watch the place, etc. A condo has someone else take care of that, although you'll pay through the fees.

Consider renting seasonally the first year. You'll pay more per month but you can look around and if it is not for you you can just leave.

Old 12-25-2009, 07:41 AM

1,087 posts, read 1,947,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooyoungtodie View Post
I moved down here 8 years ago from Los Angeles/New York to be closer to my family. I'm not that old, a young 50. What a mistake, I wanted to rent and the realtor convinced me to buy a house on the water with gulf access. I'm used to the culture, good food, GREAT food, art, activities that a big city delivers. Though hopping in the boat and catching a beautiful sunset and maybe a dolphin or two with your honey isn't so bad. I can do that while on vacation some where. If you want to get some food down here, basically it all SUCKS!!! Unless, you spend a fortune then it isn't so bad. It's not a bad place to live, but if your from up north I guarantee you you'll soon be questioning if you made the right decision. I suggest renting something at first and see if it's a place you can live in. As for me, I'm a creative. And this place is a creative vacuum, a media mediocrity. This place is so far behind the times they think they are leading the pack, but it's not a bad place to come to die.

I can only sum it like this. "If a man were to come down here and say he had an idea for an animated mouse....... they'd put him in jail down here. And one of us from up north would have to go and bail "Walt Disney" (rest his soul) out.

Lost in Florida

(New York here I come)
. . . . . . . . . .LOL

Old 12-25-2009, 12:05 PM

1,087 posts, read 1,947,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kroeran View Post
yeah, if you place more value on creative and fictional representations of things and events, more than actual personal experience and adventure, and the wanna-be hangers-on culture that attaches itself to the so-called creative community, and the idolatry of fame, then SWF is not for that.
I agree with kroeran..... philliesfan78, life is what you make it. In spite of crime, high unemployment, foreclsures etc, Florida is number 3 with happy people according to a recent Poll by the CDC, we choose when and where we want to be happy within our circumstances, bec some situations are beyond one's control, so you deal with it and make the best of it. However, there are others that are just not happy, so it doesn't matter where they go, it will be the same for them thus find fault in everything/everyone else. Go figure.

Old 01-06-2010, 08:49 AM

7 posts, read 10,573 times
Default tommy 105

Thanks....... Seems a bit like the government... controlling and restrictive....

vernon

Old 01-06-2010, 11:01 AM

1 posts, read 2,237 times
Default Lee county news

It could be Worse there is no soup lines yet..
South West Florida shortsale,LEE COUNTY
But jobs are far and Short, Southwest Florida's unemployment surged to 12.7 percent last month.

Collectively, Manatee, Sarasota and Charlotte counties posted a November jobless rate that was nearly a half-percentage point higher than the previous month.
Employers continued to shed jobs even as the holiday season approached and after the region's jobless rate had dropped from 12.5 percent in September to 12.3 percent in October.
But there also were some signs of hope: Initial claims for unemployment dropped in all three counties to their lowest level of 2009.

Old 01-06-2010, 11:30 AM

1,133 posts, read 2,930,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaotix View Post
I agree with kroeran..... philliesfan78, life is what you make it. In spite of crime, high unemployment, foreclsures etc, Florida is number 3 with happy people according to a recent Poll by the CDC, we choose when and where we want to be happy within our circumstances, bec some situations are beyond one's control, so you deal with it and make the best of it. However, there are others that are just not happy, so it doesn't matter where they go, it will be the same for them thus find fault in everything/everyone else. Go figure.
Don't forget Port Charlotte was named "The number one place in America to retire" last year!!

Old 01-06-2010, 03:43 PM

160 posts, read 498,904 times
I can pretty much tell right of the bat, whether people will enjoy Southwest Florida or not based on their self-description and what they are looking for in a community.

It is a great place in my opinon, but no it's not for everyone so maybe instead of moving blindly you should visit and see if you enjoy it first, before you make a life changing decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area