Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 09:17 AM

10 posts, read 30,734 times

Advertisements

Sami - fresh water boating in CC is alot different than salt water, right? Just putt-putt on the pontoon up and down with no place really to go,5 mph, no wake. However, home prices on fresh water are considerably cheaper than gulf canal sites so I guess it's a money issue. Do I have this correct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2009, 09:29 AM

1,802 posts, read 8,162,611 times
Another Florida wannabe here. I've visited this area, as well as the Port Charlotte and North Port areas, Homosassa Springs, Crystal River and Inverness areas, Ocala, and on the east coast - Fort Lauderdale, and as far north as Jacksonville (where I have family). I have narrowed my prefered areas down to the gulf coast, although I haven't ruled anything out yet. I am retired, and will be visiting again the end of January to look at some properties. My budget is around $100,000 (although less would be better). I'd love to live somewhere that's walkable (shopping and restaurants), and close to beaches as well as biking and hiking trails. Any suggestions specific to Cape Coral or Fort Myers?

Old 12-13-2009, 05:35 PM

10 posts, read 39,496 times
It would be public courses only. Thank you for the list!

Old 12-13-2009, 07:45 PM

282 posts, read 1,008,818 times
Cape Coral is awesome, I lock my doors more where we live full time than I do when we are down south. We started out with a house on a freshwater lake and within a year and a half knew we really wanted gulf access. We sold our house and bought a gulf access in the SW area and it's great! We could have bought anywhere but decided we really liked Cape Coral. Gulf access is the way to go for sure.

Old 12-17-2009, 06:44 AM

132 posts, read 557,140 times
Ihurst: Where in upstate NY? I'm from a small town about 45 minutes NW of Albany (Broadalbin). I've been here almost 15 years and love it. Golf is wonderful here. It's pricey in the winter/ early spring but dirt cheap in the summer and fall.
Coral Oaks, Magnolia Landing, Eastwood, and Westminster are all very nice public courses. Coarl Oaks and Eastwood were once top 50 public courses according to golf digest.
Hit um straight!

Old 12-18-2009, 03:50 AM

MkeP, My farm is south of Syracuse, north of Ithaca, fingerlakes area. I was thinking that I would have to get used to paying more than a buck a hole to play down there! Spoiled up here with the prices and lack of people on the courses, if it wasn't for winter I would stay!

Old 12-18-2009, 06:17 AM

132 posts, read 557,140 times
You can't play for a buck a hole, but you can come close in the summer. You'll pay $20 - $30 for the courses I listed earlier in the summer (with a cart) and some of them throw in lunch for that price! There are also deals where you can get on really nice private courses for cart fee only (usually $25 - $30) in the summer. You often need to buy a play card or pass for those deals, but it's well worth it. Many of those courses charge $150 - $300 "in season".
It's hot in the summer, I bring a towel to keep my hands dry but the courses are empty and you can't beat the prices.

Old 12-18-2009, 03:42 PM

Can I say that I am used to Hot when we have baled hay on the 4th of July in 100 degree plus weather? It dosn't happen often but been there done that. Will I be able to adapt? The cold is way worse than the hot! Its frezn here!

Old 12-19-2009, 08:59 PM

6 posts, read 15,539 times
I live in the SE Cape, right off Del Prado really. As a true CC native, I've lived in the NE area right off Del Prado and now SE. It's great. There are MANY nights I forget to lock the car doors. I even once left the passenger side door open to my mini van and no one stole anything.

My aunt used to work out of Heron's Glen in NFM and said it was a great course. There are a few others too, but the names escape me as I don't golf. In the area that Heron's Glen is there are quite a few courses. Heron's Glen, Pine Lakes, Lake Fairways, etc. There is also a course right off Hancock Pkwy that is $20 a round.

As for canal's, my g-parents lived on a fresh water one off Hancock Pkwy. They liked it, it led to several small lake areas. Shamrock Lakes as one of them. The canals are quite extensive, there is even a canal map if you can find one. It depends on how much you plan to boat and the type of boat you'd like. A small tiny boat I'd stay in the fresh water canal areas. Or one a canal w/ Gulf access/Caloosahatchee access.

Good Luck!

Old 12-20-2009, 09:21 PM

225 posts, read 493,953 times
Default Hancock

Is the Hancock area a good place to live?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area