Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 04:28 PM

11 posts, read 33,901 times

Advertisements

I cannot beilieve that the moderator closed my thread! I would like to talk to you MR. Moderator!

Like others said I just want to live in a nice area with peolple like me!

Why does everyone have to make it a race issue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2009, 04:30 PM

1,141 posts, read 3,545,849 times
same thing happened to me, only they didn't close it they "moved" it. My question was about the banking hours for this city data board for Fort Myers. I don't understand why it was moved, and where they moved it to. All I wanted to know was are the banks in this area open on Saturdays. I guess I made somekind of faux pas, I didn't understand.

Old 12-14-2009, 04:33 PM

455 posts, read 979,148 times
New here, are we? Take a chill pill. All it takes is a couple of knuckleheads to hijack your thread and start talking trash and it will get closed for being racist or offensive. You've got your other thread going, just pick up in that one.

Old 12-14-2009, 04:39 PM

thanks, I am new here. just trying to find out info about the area and schools!

Old 12-14-2009, 06:18 PM

1,210 posts, read 3,283,882 times
thats the issue, if you just want to have a conversation about something, but slip in an innocent comment regarding religion, politics, or race, the thread will get highjacked.

if you are catholic, consider parochial schooling. I've lost track of the conversation..sorry if this has been said already...but I offer this formula

- come down and drive around a lot, and if you are tied to a specific job location, drive that area in rush hour in season, and ask future collegues what the good areas are for persons in your income range
- rent for the first year...even better, month to month. For sure you are going to want something different after being down here for a year and be a better buyer.
- buy in the off season

Old 12-14-2009, 06:36 PM

6,218 posts, read 7,729,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantparsley View Post
I cannot beilieve that the moderator closed my thread! I would like to talk to you MR. Moderator!

As was mentioned, all it takes is someone else to take things off on a wrong tangent. I wouldnt take it personally. The mods have to make a judgement call when things look like they're getting a bit too close to the edge of stepping on the TOS rules.

I'll ask a few questions here to attempt to get things on track so you can get some info you can use.......

We know the basics of your family's size, what about the size of home you are in now?

Where are you coming from? So we have an idea of what kind of comparisons you'll be making. Chances are someone on the board here is from your area, and can help you make more coherent comparisons.....

what is your budget for housing?

would you consider renting for a year, until you get to know the area better?(I highly recommend this course of action)

Your original post mentioned wanting to stay within 40 miles of Ft myers. Thats almost all of SW Florida.This area is very unlike almost any other "metro" area. You cant go west, 40 miles east and you're in the middle of very rural areas, south or north you're in totally different counties, with totally different vibes, and a rather congested Interstate is the only real option for going north/south. Commuting here is perhaps nowhere near familiar with the commute you have where you live now.

Hopefully this gets the ball rolling in the right direction for you.........

Old 12-14-2009, 06:37 PM

135 posts, read 407,963 times
I agree with kroeran. Rent first. You will be amazed at all the different areas down here......give yourself a year or so before you buy.

Again, schools are a huge issue. I don't know where you are coming from, but we moved from up North and the schools are nothing like they are up there. You really need to research and get info. on them before you move. We had a terrible first year with our children down here trying to get them settled in a school. Remember, Lee County does school choice. Just because you live close to one school doesn't mean you'll be able to send your children there. I can't stress enough to do the research.......especially if you are a bit picky about where your children are attending school. I highly recommend private if you can swing it. Would help you with housing areas if I knew exctly what you were looking for and what price range you were looking in.........

Old 12-14-2009, 06:44 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,933,960 times
One thing nobody mentioned is that questioning a moderator is in violation of the rules. Remember, City-Data is free for our enjoyment. Nobody is forced to post here.

Old 12-14-2009, 06:50 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,534,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantparsley View Post

Grant,
As others have said, do not take it personally. We moderators make judgment calls daily based on how the forum complies with the rules, known as the Terms of Service that everyone has agreed to when joining.
Sometimes a thread "takes off" and it only takes a few posters to ruin or derail a thread. Add to that Trolls, etc, and our hands are full.

We as Mods have many ways in which we deal with threads, posts and posters. Closing a thread is a very mild option.

You have to realize that certain posts invite problems, and that by careful wording, one can sometimes avoid those problems.

Also know that Mods, including myself, are not perfect. We "Mod" hundreds of posts a day. We do this in our "free time" as volunteers.

Also, please take the time to reread the Terms of Service. In there you will read that it is against the rules to criticize a Moderator, or any of his actions. Please take this as a kind rebruke..I am showing some grace here.

If your question was not answered, feel free to start another thread, but please phrase it in a non controversial way. Also, in the future, if you have a question to ask a Moderator, it is usually smarter to use the D.M. feature.

Frank (MR. Moderator.....)

Old 12-14-2009, 07:35 PM

Frank,

Sorry for the misunderstanding, I understand where you are coming from. In the future I will be more careful on how I word my threads and posts.

Have a Great Day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area