Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2009, 08:00 AM

206 posts, read 449,567 times

Advertisements

I couldn't help but feel somewhat vindicated in my low opinion of this guy.

I emailed him last week as a new taxpayer in cape coral with my displeasure on some of his opinions and I guess I knew what I was talking about.

Cape Coral councilman arrested on fraud charges - Florida AP - MiamiHerald.com (http://www.miamiherald.com/news/florida/AP/story/1386035.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2009, 08:50 AM

1,210 posts, read 3,283,678 times
taxpayers get the politicians they deserve

get involved, do something about it

Old 12-18-2009, 12:59 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,931,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kroeran View Post
taxpayers get the politicians they deserve

get involved, do something about it

Not so sure that's true. I mean, if it were up to me, I'd toss out just about everyone in Congress with a few exceptions. (I like Alan Grayson) Sometimes we don't have much of a choice or, when we do, we lose anyway. Maybe Ruby is very active in her community.

I never know when it is appropriate to discuss politics here, since there is a political forum. I guess as long as it is SWFL specific, then we're safe. Anyway, Kroeran, you aren't even an American, so how would you like it if I began criticizing Canadians for their bad choices? I walked my little feet off last Oct & Nov. Getting involved helps, but it doesn't always bring the results desired.

I do agree with you, however, that a lot of people who complain about the way things are don't even vote! True. I can't tell you how many people I met last year who said "I'm not even registered" or "I don't believe in voting. It never matters."

Old 12-18-2009, 01:44 PM

301 posts, read 1,154,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby24 View Post
I couldn't help but feel somewhat vindicated in my low opinion of this guy.

I emailed him last week as a new taxpayer in cape coral with my displeasure on some of his opinions and I guess I knew what I was talking about.

Cape Coral councilman arrested on fraud charges - Florida AP - MiamiHerald.com (http://www.miamiherald.com/news/florida/AP/story/1386035.html - broken link)
I'm consfused by the short article. It says he transferred the money paid to his business into a personal acct to pay bills, expenses, etc....
If it's his business, doesn't he have the right to do this, being a private business owned by him? Maybe I'm reading the article wrong...?

Old 12-18-2009, 04:35 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,931,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvelte View Post
I'm consfused by the short article. It says he transferred the money paid to his business into a personal acct to pay bills, expenses, etc....
If it's his business, doesn't he have the right to do this, being a private business owned by him? Maybe I'm reading the article wrong...?
The way I'm reading it is that the money was for investments. In other words, if he was a stockbroker and clients paid him to invest it in stocks or mutual funds and he paid off his own bills, then it would be fraud and grand theft. Here is the way the News-Press worded it.

"Lee County Sheriff's Office investigators arrested Grill, 44, Tuesday, alleging he took more than $65,000 from clients through his construction business, used that money for personal expenses and lied to the clients."

Anyway, for tax purposes, you probably should keep business & personal accounts separate depending on how you file, especially if you have employees. I'm just guessing, but I bet there's a lot more to this story than what's been reported so far.

Old 12-18-2009, 06:57 PM

1,133 posts, read 2,930,923 times
As a former business owner, I know I had to keep business and personal expenses seperate, but I always thought that was for the IRS. Unless this guy took deposits for clients and spent them elsewhere and didn't deliver what he promised, I'm not sure how he could be charged with fraud. There must be something else going on here that we're not privvy too.
mrs.cool

Old 12-21-2009, 08:50 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,532,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcoolmrcool28 View Post
As a former business owner, I know I had to keep business and personal expenses seperate, but I always thought that was for the IRS. Unless this guy took deposits for clients and spent them elsewhere and didn't deliver what he promised, I'm not sure how he could be charged with fraud. There must be something else going on here that we're not privvy too.
mrs.cool
From what I heard a few months ago he took money but didn't deliver what was promised.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area