Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 01:56 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times

Advertisements

Food prices are much higher moving from CT to Florida. Period. That goes for Melboune, Orlando, Fort Myers and Bonita Springs. Food is cheaper in Mass and CT.

I don't live in Florida anymore, but my dad does and he still complains.

My Fort Myers relatives were just up here in Knoxville. They wandered around the beautiful new Kroger's and marveled at high low the prices of food were.

Prices are higher for homes in CT and FL. Don't forget your home insurance. That will be higher, too. Car insurance won't be less. Might be higher. Lots of accidents with the crazy drivers and older folks.

All and all, you have to sit down and figure out what is cheaper and what is not. If you already have a job, then that is one thing. At this point, go whre the job is. It's better than nothing. Figure out where you'll have it better and what will be worse in your budget.

But if you are moving to swFlorida thinking that you are going to have a better shot at a job, compared to CT, no way, it's not happening. And the pay will be much, much worse. If you get a job. Walmart is not hiring.

And no, not everything is cheaper in Florida. Not by a long shot.

If I had a choice, go back to New England or go back to Florida, I would already be on my way to CT. No second thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 02:03 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kroeran View Post
should there be a sticky read-only posting that summarizes the discussion and conclusion?

it could be called "How to loose your shirt moving to SWF"

or "Moving to SWF FAQ"
At first I thought you were being a wise-guy, but I don't think I always understand you.

I read RMD3819's post and I think it should be a sticky. I now think that is what you are saying.

Nothing. Nothing sums it up quite like that. Nothing.

There was a couple up in the Sarasota thread that was warned about this stuff. Over and over. Guess what? They started a thread about how hard it is to find a job. Amazing. People just don't think it will happen to them.

Another one got on and said she had all kinds of job offers. Yeah. The kind you get as spam. No real job offers.

Be careful folks. It's a great place to retire to and if you are being transferred then go for it.

And never forget about the schools. Florida schools are not the equivalent of other schools across the country. Their SAT scores are terrible.

And those unemployed and undereducated young adults are now banging around the area with nothing but time on their hands.

Old 12-30-2009, 02:25 PM

12 posts, read 27,631 times
I would think about moving anywhere right now without a job!!!!!! Unemployment in this country right now is awful. I don't care what state you live in. There is no tax on food in florida. I know because i live in the Melbourne area. I lived outside of Knoxville TN. and the tax on food was 9.5%. I wish you all the luck in the world. Yes Florida is a nice place to live. You need to go on the Tampa forum and ask the people that live around the area. I'm sure someone will help you.

Old 12-30-2009, 02:31 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,654,155 times
Very true about the jobs. I had 3 job offers almost 3 years ago. Now? I doubt I would have gotten any. The Non Profit I was offered a job at almost closed their doors last year and got a grant to keep them open for just one year.

The school district is cutting classes and staff. My job at the other school was cut. There was an opening at another school (1:1 postion with child who just moved here). The principal told me that they had interviewed a lot of people, but since I was "excessed" they had to offer it to me as a current employee over any new hires. I am very fortunate that I started when I did.

2009/2010 is not what 2007/2008 was.

Old 12-30-2009, 02:38 PM

12 posts, read 27,631 times
Tanaples,

I feel for you thank god you have what you do. I am a fortunate person to have my job!!!! I see so many states with small towns that are deserted because of lack of jobs. The whole country is a mess right now!!!

Old 12-30-2009, 04:54 PM

1,133 posts, read 2,930,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaotix View Post
This is a fallacy, I can't vouch for food prices, but fact is kilowatts, gas prices and property taxes are less in many states north of Florida.
Well, it's NOT a fallacy. Now I can only speak of what I know, and what I do know is: I pay property taxes in Florida and in Wisconsin. Wis. is about DOUBLE, home prices in Wis. is about DOUBLE for a comp house. We have high income taxes, in Florida there are NONE!

We were just down to SWF over thanksgiving, and for fun I paid attention to what things cost (after all we will be moving down and I need to know)
Bread was less in SWF
Milk was 9 cents a gal. less (which makes no sence, most milk comes from Wis.)
Cheese was a bit more but hamburger was 12 cents a lb. less
Gas was ALOT less in SWF, but i'm sure it has everything to do with the HIGH gas tax in Wis. never the less still cheaper to drive, plus cars last a lot longer in Florida.
Electric power is less per kilowatt hour in Florida, (I compared) plus the fact that you don't have to spend $500 to $800 per month for heating oil to heat your home six month out of the year.

Home insurance is more in Florida as is boat insurance, but you get to use your boat 12 months out of the year, so if you figure it out as far as use in reality boat insurance is really cheaper! Oh and boats are also cheaper and many more to choose from.

I can't do water costs...we pay $50 per month to keep the water line on our Florida property up to date (don't want to pay a large assesment later) Here in Wis. we have a well, so I can't honestly say.

When we move to SWF our bills will be MUCH less as compared to the great white way!!! Why do you think so many people retire there? It's not just the great weather but, their fixed monthy income dollars go WAAAAY farther than most places they came from.

Old 12-30-2009, 05:11 PM

1,087 posts, read 1,946,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcoolmrcool28 View Post
Well, it's NOT a fallacy. Now I can only speak of what I know, and what I do know is: I pay property taxes in Florida and in Wisconsin. Wis. is about DOUBLE, home prices in Wis. is about DOUBLE for a comp house. We have high income taxes, in Florida there are NONE!

We were just down to SWF over thanksgiving, and for fun I paid attention to what things cost (after all we will be moving down and I need to know)
Bread was less in SWF
Gas was ALOT less in SWF, but i'm sure it has everything to do with the HIGH gas tax in Wis. never the less still cheaper to drive, plus cars last a lot longer in Florida.
Electric power is less per kilowatt hour in Florida, (I compared) plus the fact that you don't have to spend $500 to $800 per month for heating oil to heat your home six month out of the year.

Home insurance is more in Florida as is boat insurance, but you get to use your boat 12 months out of the year, so if you figure it out as far as use in reality boat insurance is really cheaper! Oh and boats are also cheaper and many more to choose from.

I can't do water costs...we pay $50 per month to keep the water line on our Florida property up to date (don't want to pay a large assesment later) Here in Wis. we have a well, so I can't honestly say.

When we move to SWF our bills will be MUCH less as compared to the great white way!!! Why do you think so many people retire there? It's not just the great weather but, their fixed monthy income dollars go WAAAAY farther than most places they came from.
This is a good breakdown of expenses when comparing your town in Wisconsin to Florida which is one of many exceptions.

But, there are many areas in states north of Florida where property taxes, insurance rates for home/cars, gas, etc is less than Florida. Relocating to Florida on a retirement pension/income is totally different from moving there to find a job, house, etc thus trying to make a living there as well.

Last edited by chaotix; 12-30-2009 at 05:35 PM..

Old 12-30-2009, 05:29 PM

Quote:

Bread was less in SWF

Oh, and I forgot, alcohol is much cheaper in Florida!!! What was I thinking!!!that's one of my biggest expencesMr.Cool

Old 12-30-2009, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaotix View Post
This is a good breakdown of expenses when comparing your town in Wisconsin to Florida which is one of many exceptions.

But, there are many areas in states north of Florida where property taxes, insurance rates for home/cars, gas, etc is less than Florida. Relocating to Florida on a retirement pension/income is totally different from moving there to find a job, house, etc thus trying to make a living there.
That very well may be true, but those people are not necessarily moving to Florida, and if people ARE thinking about moving and costs are less where they live....well they NEED to do their homework.

Old 12-30-2009, 05:45 PM

1,087 posts, read 1,946,540 times
Quote:
That very well may be true, but those people are not necessarily moving to Florida, and if people ARE thinking about moving and costs are less where they live....well they NEED to do their homework.
Right, alot of homework. Even if expenses are less in Florida, it is unrealistic to want to relocate to Florida to find a job on the notion that it is cheaper to live there.

Quote:
Read OP post:
Quote:

My wife and I will be moving from CT to Florida, this area, possibly Tampa area. We are looking for information to help our move. We are looking to move into an apartment right away and then purchase a house after a year or so. The problem is, we will probably be moving down without a job. So, we plan on having at least 6 months of rent, expenses etc saved up before we move down. Do we need a job to get an apartment? Or will savings be ok to be able to rent? Anyone know of any specific apartments in the area that will be ok with this? We plan on getting a job as soon as we can, whatever it takes for now until we can land the job we are looking for. We know the market for jobs is terrible, as it is in CT, so we understand we probably won't find anything decent for a little while. Any help with moving would be appreciated and how we can get the apartment. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area