Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 03:13 PM
fwi

56 posts, read 156,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakinMama View Post
Umm, this is completely untrue. Driving back from Sunrise along Alligator alley the banks of the water were COVERED in alligators that were sunning themselves.
I drive the Alley often and only see them on the north side of the highway and they only come out when it is SUNNY and warm, I have NEVER seen any when it is cold and overcast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 04:16 PM

317 posts, read 772,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fwi View Post
I drive the Alley often and only see them on the north side of the highway and they only come out when it is SUNNY and warm, I have NEVER seen any when it is cold and overcast.
Well, that is great, but we drove from Cape Coral to Sunrise and back on Sunday (the coldest day with a high of 49) and there were gators covering the banks on either side of the Alley. A friend of mine - who was traveling with me and is from Sweden - would not stop remarking about the sheer number of them crowded along the banks.

Old 01-14-2010, 04:34 PM
fwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakinMama View Post
Well, that is great, but we drove from Cape Coral to Sunrise and back on Sunday (the coldest day with a high of 49) and there were gators covering the banks on either side of the Alley. A friend of mine - who was traveling with me and is from Sweden - would not stop remarking about the sheer number of them crowded along the banks.
You must have been trippin', there are no gators along the southside of the Alley!

Old 01-14-2010, 05:32 PM

317 posts, read 772,446 times
Yea, I must've been. All that crazy shopping at IKEA did it to me!

Old 01-14-2010, 05:40 PM

1,563 posts, read 2,874,458 times
Yovy Suarez Jiménez, 28, femaleMay 10, 2006Construction workers found her dismembered body on this date floating in a canal between Markham County Park and State Road 84 in Sunrise, Florida. Authorities later captured the 9' 6" (3 m) alligator that killed her during her nightly jog on May 9. Officials were able to verify this because both her arms were found in the digestive tract of the animal during the necropsy. The Broward County medical examiner concluded that she was attacked on land and dragged into the canal.[7][9][10][11]
Sorry to have to tell you.......gators like people

Old 01-14-2010, 05:46 PM

1,563 posts, read 2,874,458 times
Judy W. Cooper, 43, femaleMay 14, 2006Her body was found on this date in a canal near Oldsmar in Pinellas County, Florida, 20 miles (30 km) north of St. Petersburg. She had been in the water for about 3 days. Preliminary autopsy results indicated a fatal alligator attack. Her arm and hand were later recovered from an 8.5-foot (2.6 m) alligator.[7][9][10]

HORRIBLE....sorry again ..they seem to like women jogging.Probably not good to jog near murky water.

Old 01-14-2010, 07:10 PM
fwi

Do gators think we taste like chicken, or maybe like small dogs?

Old 01-14-2010, 11:09 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Yeah. Let's scare the crap out of the OP. Nice.

Here's the deal. Look at the list. People swimming. Kids. A guy walking a dog. And a kill because people had been feeding the gators, which makes them extremely aggressive. It still is extremely rare.

Southeastern Outdoors - Fatal Alligator Attacks

Old 01-15-2010, 01:30 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,933,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davistt View Post
Well I have to say this information is not helping ... lol

I thought it would be more unusual to see them in January.

Yikes.
You'll see more alligators at the mall if you go the the fine shoe departments.

Seriously, you've got a better shot at getting hit by lightning. I'd be more worried about a fender bender in January than an alligator attack. What I'd really look out for, however, are those crazed old ladies with the supermarket carts.

However, alligators are not migratory creatures like birds. They hang around the same area and have strong homing devices, so that's why the larger ones often get killed if they're removed by Florida Wildlife Commission, although there are some sanctuaries. Here's the [URL="http://www.myfwc.com/WILDLIFEHABITATS/Alligator_IncidentsFactSheet.htm"]FWC page[/URL] on alligators. Or just turn on Animal Planet! You will actually see more in the cold months since they come out of the water to warm up. In the summer they usually hide in the water since they are predatory creatures. Having said that, I lived in Vero Beach on a golf course from June-Nov and for 6 months I saw an alligator swim by every day. I never heard of one attack there.

I've had numerous encounters with alligators and they never attacked. Could be that they don't eat kosher.

Old 01-15-2010, 10:47 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
You'll see more alligators at the mall if you go the the fine shoe departments.

Seriously, you've got a better shot at getting hit by lightning. I'd be more worried about a fender bender in January than an alligator attack. What I'd really look out for, however, are those crazed old ladies with the supermarket carts.

However, alligators are not migratory creatures like birds. They hang around the same area and have strong homing devices, so that's why the larger ones often get killed if they're removed by Florida Wildlife Commission, although there are some sanctuaries. Here's the FWC page on alligators. Or just turn on Animal Planet! You will actually see more in the cold months since they come out of the water to warm up. In the summer they usually hide in the water since they are predatory creatures. Having said that, I lived in Vero Beach on a golf course from June-Nov and for 6 months I saw an alligator swim by every day. I never heard of one attack there.

I've had numerous encounters with alligators and they never attacked. Could be that they don't eat kosher.
Perfect post.

Yep. I'd be more afraid of someone smacking you with a shopping cart. I'm pretty sure they aim for folks so you might want to avoid stores with them.

Or getting cut off in traffic. Lots of waving with one finger.

It kind of makes the alligators seem warm and fuzzy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area