Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 11:15 AM

3 posts, read 6,386 times

Advertisements

My dad wants to buy a multiple bedroom condo in Fort Meyers. I would live there free - except paying utilities. His benefit is that he could visit in the winter at times and he just wants property down in Fort Meyers.

I am 21 and a nurse. What is the singles scene down there? And would I be bored out of my mind moving down there knowing no one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 11:36 AM

6,218 posts, read 7,729,420 times
My first thoughts are, Free rent and you've got half the issues with living here solved. Youre in health care so finding work will be easier for you, than most. Although I have heard that even health care is cutting jobs in this area lately. You may want to do some research into that.

Making friends here, is no different than making friends anywhere. There is a singles scene, of course, but I'm an old f**t, so I wont speak to that.

Some others may have other concerns that I have missed, hopefully they will chime in with them. More opinions are better than fewer.

Yachtcare has spoken.......

Old 01-13-2010, 11:51 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Free rent is free rent. Heck, they ain't all eighty. Some of them are 65! Woohoo!

Naw. There are young, single folks no matter where you go. Now the quanitity is going to be lower than most other places but heck, who knows what the female/male ratio is. Maybe you'll have them fighting over you. Including the seniors!

Just kidding. As long as you don't offer an Early Bird Special, you'll be alright.

But really, if he is buying, and you don't have anything better to do...

Old 01-13-2010, 09:54 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,930,847 times
I would go for it! You could use that extra $$ and put it away as savings to move in a few years if you dislike the place. You don't have much to lose.

Oh, and PS--it's Fort Myers, not Fort Meyers.

Old 01-13-2010, 11:56 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,933,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oretordan View Post
My dad wants to buy a multiple bedroom condo in Fort Meyers. I would live there free - except paying utilities. His benefit is that he could visit in the winter at times and he just wants property down in Fort Meyers.

I am 21 and a nurse. What is the singles scene down there? And would I be bored out of my mind moving down there knowing no one?
Although I agree with the above posts, my first question is "where do you live now?" Some people like quiet, slow paced areas and others like a lot of culture, restaurants, clubs, etc. There's a lot of culture in Fort Myers in the yogurt section of Publix.

Seriously, if you currently live in Manhattan, and you enjoy staying out late and going to the theater, fine restaurants, museums, or high fashion, you'll move here and go . Still, I think you've got a great opportunity. At your age I loved the beach and we have some of the prettiest around. Unlike MA where I grew up, the water gets very warm! (anyone ever try swimming in Rockport?) I'm sure there are plenty of single people to mingle with, but you might have to search a little harder than if you live in Boston or Chicago.

I want to add that, although most people in Fort Myers are slightly right of Attila the Hun, I had no trouble meeting people who share the same views. So, no matter where you live, if you make an effort, you'll probably find some friends. Have fun!

Do you know where in Fort Myers he plans to purchase? If you're single and 21 you want to be in a relatively safe area.

Old 01-14-2010, 09:14 PM

3 posts, read 6,386 times
I'm from suburban new england and I do not like city life. Well, no, I don't like NYC life. I swear I've never seen a city with more hostility towards someone looking for a loo than anywhere else...

That being said. I'm just more worried that Fort Myers (sorry for the earlier typo) may be more of a city for populations over 40, and I'd like to at least have a shot at meeting someone my age. My dad has been down there numerous times and my folks have decided on southwestern Fl. I was hoping he'd get me a place in Denver but he's got his heart set on Fort Myers, so as long as it is plausible I can make some sort of a normal life as a young twenty year old I am in!

Old 01-14-2010, 10:19 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
I am from suburban New England. I moved to Fort Myers when I was 36 and I found it be astonishingly old. I left there in my 40s and still felt that way. In fact, more so. I now had a child and the place is geared towards old people.

That's all I can tell you. Demographics are demographics and there are not hordes of 20-year-olds. Like I said, it is free rent. If you have nothing better to do, I don't see why not. It only takes one person that can become your girlfriend or your bestfriend.

I experienced a lot of culture shock moving there, but your mileage may vary.

But if I were your age, I would be more worried about getting an education so that I can having a decent-paying and meaningful career.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:30 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,930,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oretordan View Post
I'm from suburban new england and I do not like city life. Well, no, I don't like NYC life. I swear I've never seen a city with more hostility towards someone looking for a loo than anywhere else...

That being said. I'm just more worried that Fort Myers (sorry for the earlier typo) may be more of a city for populations over 40, and I'd like to at least have a shot at meeting someone my age. My dad has been down there numerous times and my folks have decided on southwestern Fl. I was hoping he'd get me a place in Denver but he's got his heart set on Fort Myers, so as long as it is plausible I can make some sort of a normal life as a young twenty year old I am in!
I went to high school in Fort Myers, and a sizable amount of my friends (who are more around the 24-26 range, a little older than you but still twenty-somethings) still live there. They mostly are friends with each other, work their jobs and drink and fish on the weekends. Not the life for me (or my husband) but they seem happy enough. Fort Myers isn't hell on earth, but it's just kind of depressing for me in a sense...there's just not much there unless you're a retiree.

Old 01-15-2010, 06:30 AM

3,418 posts, read 7,789,284 times
My kid (24) lived there until the economy crashed. She liked it.

The area is geared for retirees-nearly all of Florida is-but you are in a different position than most.

You haven't posted about your current situation so it is hard to compare.

Are you an RN? No kids? Living there single with an RN's salary and free rent would be sweet.

I would go for it.

Old 01-15-2010, 06:39 AM

11,486 posts, read 15,306,908 times
As long as you will still work hard and obtain more skills if it does not work out GO FOR IT.

A chance of a lifetime awaits you.

All I say is make sure you do not forget your priorities, get more education and save some money back in case you want to move on.

Get your priorities in order and head to Fla.

If you do not like it and saved some money, you can always move on.

Easy way to save some money at your young age!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area