Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 09:33 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,100,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromedome View Post
im from brooklyn myself and i ended up here and let me tell you

based on what im reading, you seem like youd be into more cultural things, and an urban vibe where youd be able to walk places and do things with your kid.

DONT COME TO FORT MYERS.

cant speak for san antonio but fort myers has NOTHING,
youre gona be stuck at home and youre gona drive everywhere, take one long last good walk around the city if you come here cus thats gona be the last one youll take for a long while.

your kid wont be able to play outside without fear of being hit by a truck doing 50mph down a residential street which more than likely wont have sidewalks or even streetlights in alot of cases.

plan on the city shutting down at 9pm everynight, having waaaaay less to do, and old senile people tripling your commutes everywhere.

plan on making less money than you do in brooklyn and spending more also

plan on seeing big ass mutated flying roaches and giant man eating spiders

oh and plan on struggling to find a decent slice of pizza or chinese food anywhere lol
LOL - a little extreme, but kinda funny..... and mostly true!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2007, 11:41 AM

59 posts, read 285,298 times
Quote:
im from brooklyn myself and i ended up here and let me tell you

based on what im reading, you seem like youd be into more cultural things, and an urban vibe where youd be able to walk places and do things with your kid.

DONT COME TO FORT MYERS.

cant speak for san antonio but fort myers has NOTHING,
youre gona be stuck at home and youre gona drive everywhere, take one long last good walk around the city if you come here cus thats gona be the last one youll take for a long while.

your kid wont be able to play outside without fear of being hit by a truck doing 50mph down a residential street which more than likely wont have sidewalks or even streetlights in alot of cases.

plan on the city shutting down at 9pm everynight, having waaaaay less to do, and old senile people tripling your commutes everywhere.

plan on making less money than you do in brooklyn and spending more also

plan on seeing big ass mutated flying roaches and giant man eating spiders

oh and plan on struggling to find a decent slice of pizza or chinese food anywhere lol
That sounds like Cape Coral, and not Ft. Myers. Ft. Myers has a lot of stuff to do! Cape Coral on the other hand......

Old 06-04-2007, 02:10 PM

172 posts, read 856,793 times
lol, yea cape coral does suck

id say thats pretty accurate of ft myers also, besides ft myers beach and the few bars/clubs downtown (both of which are geared towards older crowds) fort myers is pretty bland.

obviously im speaking as someone who is from brooklyn and can relate to the original poster of the question and what she would likely consider appealing in a place.

on the other hand
compared to other places in florida, fort myers is a metropolis. its far from the worst.

Old 06-04-2007, 02:29 PM

Quote:
lol, yea cape coral does suck

id say thats pretty accurate of ft myers also, besides ft myers beach and the few bars/clubs downtown (both of which are geared towards older crowds) fort myers is pretty bland.

obviously im speaking as someone who is from brooklyn and can relate to the original poster of the question and what she would likely consider appealing in a place.

on the other hand
compared to other places in florida, fort myers is a metropolis. its far from the worst.
Ya urban sprawl affects all of Florida, not just Ft. Myers. The only reason the East Coast is more "urbanized" is because the Everglades forces them to build everything toward the coast. It just looks urbanized because everything is concentrated to the east. Also, NY has the subway which Florida can't build due to its low elevation. The tunnels would be underwater. Lee County has been investigating building a monorail/elevated rail system for a while. I for one would love it, but I don't see that happening for a long time. I hate when people complain about traffic, yet they would never think about giving up their car for public transportation. Also, on a side note, you may want to look into all the projects being built in downtown Ft. Myers. It is actually starting to look like a downtown.

Old 06-04-2007, 02:33 PM

I for one would like nothing more than to be able to walk places or take the bus.
i probably wouldnt even have bothered getting a drivers license if i didnt move here.

if the public transportation was adequate i wouldnt mind taking it,but leetran is horrible.

i tried it a few times out of necessity, never ever again

Old 06-04-2007, 02:39 PM

See that is the problem. Not enough people use it so the scheduling is horrible unless you are on a major route like US 41. However, ridership increases every year. They are adding new routes and more buses. I think eventually it will happen. Ft. Myers is just in that transitional time where we aren't a major city, and we aren't just a town anymore. Unfortunately, those are the worst times because you have the people who want it to be urban complaining, as well as the people who want it to remain rural complaining. I'm holding out hope that eventually it will all fall into place.

Old 06-04-2007, 02:47 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,584,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLANATIVE1 View Post
Ya urban sprawl affects all of Florida, not just Ft. Myers. The only reason the East Coast is more "urbanized" is because the Everglades forces them to build everything toward the coast. It just looks urbanized because everything is concentrated to the east. Also, NY has the subway which Florida can't build due to its low elevation. The tunnels would be underwater. Lee County has been investigating building a monorail/elevated rail system for a while. I for one would love it, but I don't see that happening for a long time. I hate when people complain about traffic, yet they would never think about giving up their car for public transportation. Also, on a side note, you may want to look into all the projects being built in downtown Ft. Myers. It is actually starting to look like a downtown.
This is an amusing post. Parts of Florida are below sea level; kinda hard to have a safe subway. There is NO public transport in SE or SW Florida. There are many blogs discussing this. There are no buses - please if you have not seen it for yourself and are from NYC- visit and see for yourself. You NEED a car.

sunny

Old 06-04-2007, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
This is an amusing post. Parts of Florida are below sea level; kinda hard to have a safe subway. There is NO public transport in SE or SW Florida. There are many blogs discussing this. There are no buses - please if you have not seen it for yourself and are from NYC- visit and see for yourself. You NEED a car.

sunny
Well Lee County has LeeTran buses, and Collier has CAT (Collier Area Tranist). Most people do have cars though because the bus system has weird scheduling and when it rains you are pretty much stuck at a bus stop for 15-20 minutes.

Old 06-04-2007, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLANATIVE1 View Post
Well Lee County has LeeTran buses, and Collier has CAT (Collier Area Tranist). Most people do have cars though because the bus system has weird scheduling and when it rains you are pretty much stuck at a bus stop for 15-20 minutes.
ha! 15-20 minutes would be godsend, i was used to waiting that in north jersey. try 35 minutes to an hour for most busses on the bigger roads.

on smaller streets forget about it.

i had to take the bus home from cape coral highschool (santa barbara blvd) and i was literally at the stop for an hour and half.

i really think with the exception of 41 most places have one bus for the entire route, understandable i guess since 90% of the time leetran busses are empty. it sucks for the people who do take them tho

Old 06-04-2007, 03:01 PM

See I travel US 41 and I see buses a lot. They are usually full too especially around 4:00 and 5:00. I don't see why they can't add more buses. There are usually a lot that go down MLK Blvd. too. If you want to take the bus in CC though, forget about it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area