Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2018, 09:19 AM

333 posts, read 240,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
Everyone has different tolerance levels for temps. The things that I personally hate about cold weather are the dry skin, the dry throat and nose from the cold dry air and the furnace, the high heating costs, the early sunsets, driving on ice, having to put on three layers to leave your house and having to take the three layers off every time you go into a public building (over and over again all day long), the additional costs (winter clothes, winter crap for your house), and last but not least: even if you run your furnace hard and put on all manner of footwear, your feet are still cold. And if you do manage to get them warm, then they start sweating from all the layers. I really hate all that BS.
Totally true . These are all legitimate gripes . Everyone is different . I love seeing the passage of time that comes with seasons, and I think for what I consider to be comfortable weather (55-70), Florida always just felt right over the edge of my comfortable limit . It wasnt like awful hot, but it was just mildly awful all year . My main point was that people in Florida always refer to winter being a terrible time, which I think is typically in reference to the much further north portions of America, where many in Florida are originally from . I mean here yesterday it was 65 degrees, definitely not scraping ice off my car weather . The window for comfortable weather thus far has been much longer in Tennessee than it ever was in Florida . At least for my own preferences .

To each his or her own though . Like I said, I love Florida for a myriad of reasons . Weather was not one of them, though .

Last edited by kombuchaluchador; 11-26-2018 at 09:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2018, 09:23 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,847,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kombuchaluchador View Post
Totally true . These are all legitimate gripes . Everyone is different . I love seeing the passage of time that comes with seasons, and I think for what I consider to be comfortable weather (55-70), Florida always just felt right over the edge of my comfortable limit . It wasnt like awful hot, but it was just mildly awful all year .

To each his or her own though . Like I said, I love Florida for a myriad of reasons . Weather was not one of them, though .

55-70 is perfection indeed. have u found a place that has that and no crowds and is cheap? i'm still lookin.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/peterta.../#6fef29074c96

Old 11-26-2018, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
55-70 is perfection indeed. have u found a place that has that and no crowds and is cheap? i'm still lookin.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/peterta.../#6fef29074c96
I wish! Ill let you know when I find something!

Old 11-27-2018, 05:49 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,308,852 times
Quote:
I love seeing the passage of time that comes with seasons.

^This is what I truly miss the most about living here in Florida. When you live someplace with seasons, it is easier to remember certain events because of what the season was. Down here in Florida every view out my window is the same except when the frangipani loses its leaves every winter. I hate the 6 months of heat & humidity but I also don't like the extreme cold, scrapping off the windshield, trying to drive in snow & ice, etc.

I would love to find a climate where it never gets above 80, never gets below 40 and has little humidity and a low cost of living. I guess I will never find it in my lifetime.

Old 11-27-2018, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
^This is what I truly miss the most about living here in Florida. When you live someplace with seasons, it is easier to remember certain events because of what the season was. Down here in Florida every view out my window is the same except when the frangipani loses its leaves every winter. I hate the 6 months of heat & humidity but I also don't like the extreme cold, scrapping off the windshield, trying to drive in snow & ice, etc.

I would love to find a climate where it never gets above 80, never gets below 40 and has little humidity and a low cost of living. I guess I will never find it in my lifetime.
I agree. Definitely nice to have a change of scenery to keep things fresh. I definitely see merits to both types of climates. Wish I could afford to have both in some way.

Not dealing with cold is nice, but moderate seasons can also be nice .

Old 11-27-2018, 05:58 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,457,003 times
Quote:
Im from Florida, living in Tennessee now . The weather here has been fantastic . 50's and 60's mostly . No snow, no ice . I think with most Floridian's being from the north, many have an exaggerated idea of how bad winter is in many places outside of Florida . Many places throughout the south have much better and more mild weather than Florida .

But as someone else said in this thread, you should not move to a place only for the weather . You should move somewhere because you have an opportunity for growth or a support system of some kind .

I like both Florida and Tennessee in different ways .

Its funny to me because most of the complaints I see about cold weather seem to come from people from the Northeast, which to me, living in the Upper Midwest, is amusing. To me, the east coast is NOT COLD ENOUGH My complaint would be the inconsistent snow coverage. I love winters where you barely see the grass and where you can drive a tank on a frozen lake with no anxiety. I'll take below zero, clear skies and pure white snow over slushy muddy 30s and 40s autumnal winters like in much of the Northeast. Mind you, I grew up in Florida, but I have a very high standards for cold.

Old 11-27-2018, 06:11 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,457,003 times
Quote:

Agree on this. I never lived anywhere with seasons til I was 20. I can tell you what year certain events in my life happened like "I went to Disney World for the first time in July 2003" because I remember we went for my birthday that year, but there's nothing weather or scenery wise that would have distinguished it from any month between May or October. But if you ask me "Tell me a memory you have of fall 2005" I'd have to pinpoint a certain holiday like Halloween, or the school year for me, as opposed to an actual memory that involves scenery or weather because otherwise I couldn't tell if it was fall or not. I have a lot of childhood memories of playing outside, but besides being out of school or the odd cold day, I can't tell you anything related to seasons, and that makes me sad to have missed out on it.

The months are so distinct up here. If I was to have a memory that involved cool dry weather and orange leaves, I know it most likely happened in mid or late October. Aside from that, there's something magical about seeing the trees get green in the spring day by day, and reverse in the fall. Gives you a motivation to take a stroll.

Old 11-27-2018, 08:10 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,241,937 times
Quote:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/peterta.../#7ffaa8ec4c96

Old 11-28-2018, 01:06 PM

25,728 posts, read 12,800,389 times
markjames68 said: "I would love to find a climate where it never gets above 80, never gets below 40 and has little humidity and a low cost of living. I guess I will never find it in my lifetime."

Climate and Weather in Ecuador, Quito and Guayaquil - Monthly Average Temperatures

Quito Ecuador would be as close as I can get for you. Lots of U.S. expats there to, and it stays light 12 hours/day year round. VERY cheap to live there. Not too far from a beach either.

Old 11-28-2018, 07:03 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,430,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
markjames68 said: "I would love to find a climate where it never gets above 80, never gets below 40 and has little humidity and a low cost of living. I guess I will never find it in my lifetime."

Climate and Weather in Ecuador, Quito and Guayaquil - Monthly Average Temperatures

Quito Ecuador would be as close as I can get for you. Lots of U.S. expats there to, and it stays light 12 hours/day year round. VERY cheap to live there. Not too far from a beach either.
Or, maybe not Ecuador

https://travel.gc.ca/destinations/ecuador
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area