Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2020, 09:25 AM

10,951 posts, read 3,689,039 times

Advertisements

I have lived In Florida since Halloween Day 1973....Thru 1988 In Largo (Pinellas County) 2 mls East from Indian Rocks Bch, and subsequently in SW Miami all these 47 years.

I have gotten used to the Heat and the Humidity for many years now and really they have not bothered me at all.

I love the outdoors and at almost 70 yrs old, the only place I would move to from MIami would be back to The Suncoast and period.

Before 1973 I was In NYC (Queens) and that is a place I have visited only 2wice since we moved South, and basically to go visit younger brother that lives In Whitestone and my fathers Grave.

In Florida for the REST of my days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2020, 04:13 PM

4,848 posts, read 2,665,246 times
there's a reason nobody lived in Florida until the advent of air conditioning..

Old 01-17-2020, 03:40 AM

10,951 posts, read 3,689,039 times
You'll be surprised to know that houses outside of Downtown Miami in the early 1900's actually most all had fireplaces, Winters were known to be nasty.

Old 01-17-2020, 04:01 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,622,028 times
Sure, Florida is hot in summer. What did you expect? The west coast of FL is actually a little hotter since the breezes usually come from the east. The west coast gets the wind from the Everglades instead of the ocean.

Old 01-17-2020, 05:40 AM

2,281 posts, read 1,581,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPrzybylski07 View Post
I have to say I’ve been swimming the in the 70 degree gulf every morning lately and I’m starting to embrace the cooler water. In fact, it’s not cold enough for me now that I’m getting use to it. I’m actually now just realizing the amazing health benefits of cold water which we don’t have, we don’t even get cold showers.

I agree with everything you have said and there is so much beauty here which makes it hard to leave, not that there’s not beauty elsewhere but having a strong tropical sun pretty much throughout the year really elevates the mood.
I could be wrong about top states people leave & enter. I read that somewhere years ago.
Perhaps I am mistaken also if you live close to the gulf as in blocks away.

I am used to living 6-10 miles in from the pacific where you still get a nice cool ocean breeze.

I do notice the the new developments everywhere in SW FL. Yes, the nature here is amazing and under-stated. Pelicans and everything. I'd like more trees.

I still haven't seen a live gator for about 5 years and I look all the time near these small lakes. What I do miss are mountain backdrops and hilly areas.

Old 01-20-2020, 04:00 PM

33,547 posts, read 18,143,148 times
Sure we have hot weather and humidity , but we have air conditioned cars, homes, restaurants , malls and no snow. We have lots of rain but we have 6 months of great weather too. The first summer down here is a killer but then it gets better because you know what to expect.

I actually thought that this summer had less humidity. Then September came and Oct and was worse than July and August IMO.

Old 01-20-2020, 04:49 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,686,375 times
SW Florida too hot? LOL, I mean....for you, OP, yes. It is. It's too hot to handle. Stay away.

Old 02-18-2020, 07:50 AM

333 posts, read 239,885 times
The secret is that most people in Florida are not acclimated to the climate, even most of the ones who claim they are. Florida is a very indoorsy place and the suburban landscape is set up in a way that it is easy to avoid going outdoors. Suburban houses with garages, very car centric, every workplace and building is air conditioned to within an inch of its life.

If you like going outside and being active, most of Florida is NOT for you. The panhandle is a little better, though.

Id probably make the argument that many places up north get more comfortable weather days than Florida, it's just that American's hate dealing with even a tiny bit of snow.

Also for some reason, Floridians don't realize the rest of the southeast exists and has better weather.

Old 02-19-2020, 05:19 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by double6's View Post
there's a reason nobody lived in Florida until the advent of air conditioning..
Ignorant much?

Old 02-19-2020, 07:31 PM

2,128 posts, read 2,353,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Ignorant much?
I know, I guess those 1920s and 1930s Art Deco buildings lining the streets in SoBe had no one in them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area