Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 05:28 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,771,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Wear plenty of sunblock.

You might never experience what Chris is talking about, since you mentioned you like to travel and have more than one home. However, I have to agree with what he wrote and I enjoy the hot & humid weather. Right now it's a little ironic that we're discussing the hot weather in FL since I'm shivering.

If you don't have your windows tinted and you plan to be in FL a lot, I suggest you get all 4 windows done. (I'm not talking about factory tint) It really makes a difference. Many people black out the 2 back windows & the rear windshield. The 2 front windows can only be darkened to legal limits. It's not just for your own comfort, but it also protects the interior of your car and anything you store in it.
I also use those front window expandable sun blockers, they prevent you from melting your hands to the steering wheel, and protect your dash from cracking, melting.... Some people use towels, not me, looks tacky. Tint is a VERY good idea I agree. My honda has 20% all the way around, and it is the black, sun reflective type. BUT if you drive that car out of FL through the other states you may get a lot of flack for it, MA police will pull you over and either you rip it out, or $250 fine....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 07:11 AM

317 posts, read 772,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post
What about suggestions for ways to protect the front of the car from being coated by insects or prep'ing the car so they are easier to remove?

UGH! Lovebug season is the freaking WORST! I hate going outside in lovebug season. GROSS GROSS GROSS!

I haven't found anything to help with removing them except washing them off fairly quickly. They can ruin the paint on your car.

Old 02-19-2010, 07:44 AM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,026 posts, read 6,544,694 times
I am going to try to find a bra to install when we are freeway traveling. But they don't seem to have them for the GMC Terrain yet.

Old 02-19-2010, 07:52 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,874,458 times
We were down in may last year and it was well into the 90's......hung out till mid afternoon and then hit Ft Myers beach.People were leaving by then and it was really nice.Had a few cocktails and dinner at one of the sidewalk restaurants........great time.
My question is........what is traffic like in the summer,both in town and the beaches?
Is it tolerable?

Old 02-19-2010, 12:25 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Traffic is better in the summer. You can actually get a seat at a restaurant. The people are friendlier.

Through Charley, folks were kind and helping each other. All the traffic lights were ripped off. I thought it would be a nightmare. Nope. People were at the intersections waving each other on.

On the internet, the snowbirds were all demanding updates on their properties. I'd take the time to answer them, even though most of us didn't have electricity and the place was a mess, and they would just go away. I'd take the time to drive by their place and not even a thank you.

Yes, it is so much nicer in the summer, but if you are someone that can't handle the heat, you better leave because it is brutal. By the way, it rarely bothered me but I have thyroid issues.

And it is NOT humidity. Don't even bother to compare it. I've seen higher humidity up here, drive down to Fort Myers and wow, the wall of water just smacks you in the face, just south of Tampa. It's the dewpoint, and only a couple of points makes an enormous difference.

Old 02-19-2010, 12:31 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,512,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakinMama View Post
UGH! Lovebug season is the freaking WORST! I hate going outside in lovebug season. GROSS GROSS GROSS!

I haven't found anything to help with removing them except washing them off fairly quickly. They can ruin the paint on your car.
Those are the nastiest. My husband commuted from FM to PGI & I'd remember how disguisting his car looked every night. I'd take his car up to the carwash & wait 20 mins in line b/c the sight of the smashed bodies all over the car made me ill. (our fabulous condo did not allow outside hoses or allow washing your car outside..of all places...FL).

I think the only resolution is getting the car washed asap. I've heard using dryer sheets prior to washing helps.

Old 02-19-2010, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samiamnh View Post
We were down in may last year and it was well into the 90's......hung out till mid afternoon and then hit Ft Myers beach.People were leaving by then and it was really nice.Had a few cocktails and dinner at one of the sidewalk restaurants........great time.
My question is........what is traffic like in the summer,both in town and the beaches?
Is it tolerable?
Less in summer b/c of the heat. The snowbirders don't like the heat so they leave.
You have to be able to handle the endless heat. And as Hik said, it's not the humidity as many like to say Wash DC has higher humidity in Aug.
The best time to hit the beach in the summer is the early, early am, especially if the tide is out. Very pretty. It's usually the tourists that are out midafternoon.

Old 02-19-2010, 03:04 PM

1,563 posts, read 2,874,458 times
Wow,Hiknapster.....can't imagine that people were not appreciative of your efforts.We are totally grateful for neighbors who look in on our place.Most of the fellow snowbirds that I know are really nice.
Always a few jerks,though...on both sides.

Old 02-19-2010, 03:37 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,026 posts, read 6,544,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
I think the only resolution is getting the car washed asap. I've heard using dryer sheets prior to washing helps.
What, rubbing the bug juice with dryer sheets? Never heard of that, but worth a try. Do used ones work as well??

Old 02-19-2010, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post
What, rubbing the bug juice with dryer sheets? Never heard of that, but worth a try. Do used ones work as well??
Gotta do it at night as those suckers don't calm down when the sun is up... I'm going to go out on a limb and say that they are suppose to be used. Now, this could all be an old wive's tale but maybe worth a shot.
Think the whole thing is like tomato juice and skunk...anything to quickly get rid of the mess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area