Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 12:52 PM

3 posts, read 8,393 times

Advertisements

What is the rental market like for an average 3/2 home in SE Cape Coral? I'm looking at forclosures and weighing the costs. It looks to me like the rents are roughly 800/month for this area (not on canal, no pool). In the under 100k price range, this home would not be a vacation home. I imagine it would be for someone who is still working full time.

So this really becomes two questions;
1. Are there just tons of homes for rent and this would be vacant for extended (3-5 months) at a time?
2. I suspect there are many more homes for rent in more overbuilt areas (NW, North Central, NE). Traffic is not so good in CC; Is it far more desirable to rent a home that is close to the bridges crossing into Ft Myers rather than way up in north CC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2010, 07:48 AM

374 posts, read 795,803 times
There are a TON or rentals... and a mass exit from Florida.

I recently researched renting out my 2/2 town home in South Ft. Myers and found that there is just too much competition for the annual rental market. Some rentals going as low as $550.00 a month including ulitities. Hundreds and hundreds of them for rent and that was JUST on Craigslist. Fortunately "seasonal" rentals are still fetching pretty nice rental fees. There will always be northerners coming down to get away from the cold winters. AND I found that if you have a place right around South/Mid Ft. Myers (near Edison College and slightly north) you will find that many ball players are looking to rent for Spring training for 2 MLB teams. I also found traveling nurses who are staying "short" term for the local hospital.

$1600.00 to 2000.00 per month for "seasonal" in season (Jan/Feb/Mar) for a nicely renovated, beuatifully furnished 2/2 seems to be the going rate in South Ft. Myers... Not sure about a 3/2 in the Cape. But remember LOCATION/LOCATION/LOCATION... is everything! Most real estate agents will list the best areas... and it is definetly advise you should listen to.

Regardless of the area you choose... I still think now is the time to invest with the unbelievable historic low prices, but you need to understand that you may not get enough rental money to pay for your monthly costs of the investment (not right away anyways)

Old 02-28-2010, 08:01 AM

9,368 posts, read 6,966,039 times
I think my inlaws just rented our their 3/2 non-pool & non-canal home in SE CC for somewhere near $700/month.

Old 03-19-2010, 09:55 AM

Default Rental market in Cape Coral

I'm surprised this question did not generate alot of responses, especially from the people who own rentals but are having a hard time. I've contacted a few property management companies and they claim the rental market (not vacation rentals) is good.

Old 03-19-2010, 10:18 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,259,284 times
Of course they did.

I don't understand. Don't take anyone's word. Go to Craigslist and look. That will tell you all you need to know.

Old 03-19-2010, 11:41 AM

376 posts, read 910,339 times
pairajacks ~ if you need that monthly rent to make expenses, probably not a good idea to buy one.

Old 03-19-2010, 11:48 PM

Default Rental market in Cape Coral, Fort Myers

Yeah, the rental rates seem somewhat low, and it's hard to tell if they're getting any bites from their ads. It's funny, I recognized one of the rentals as a foreclosure house from back a couple months ago. They used the same pictures of the kitchen that the bank listing agent did. Now they're listing it as rental to own.

Old 02-27-2011, 08:04 AM

1 posts, read 2,211 times
We're looking for a high end rental...willing to pay 3,500/month for an annual unfurnished place and can't seem to find anything...

Old 02-27-2011, 11:33 AM

357 posts, read 783,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlittle19 View Post
We're looking for a high end rental...willing to pay 3,500/month for an annual unfurnished place and can't seem to find anything...

Where are you looking?

Old 02-27-2011, 01:26 PM

68 posts, read 203,397 times
I recently discussed this with a rental agent at a large condo development and she explained that they had numerous inquiries but when it came to a credit check things fell apart. So, as they had bad credit, 2 months - deposit and last - rental was requested but the majority just did not have this amount of capital available, maybe because they had recently faced foreclosure. So if you have a property that is in poor condition or you are prepared to take a gamble you may rent it more easilly by requesting a very small deposit. I am sure there are Realtor's who frequent this forum that give better advice on this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area