Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 06:29 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,769,108 times

Advertisements

A meet&greet!!! COOL!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2010, 06:32 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,270,401 times
Thanks guys! It looks like I will be leaving for Fort Myers tomorrow. There is a strong chance that we will be staying in my MIL's new house. They haven't moved in, yet. How cool is that? She has a pool, too, but I bet it is cold.

I have an air card so I will be able to still bother everyone on city data.

I plan on taking lots of pics, too.

Old 03-04-2010, 12:36 PM

3 posts, read 20,615 times
Hi, we are traveling to Fort Myers area Memorial Day weekend/week and are also looking for a hotel. Hopefully that will take pets. Inexpensive and clean. Where is this Holiday Inn Express you are talking about? We take our RV and stay at Woodsmoke Campground - S. Tamiri Trail area.

Paige

Old 03-04-2010, 01:10 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,331,247 times
The Holiday Inn Express is at Del Prado and Cape Coral Pkwy. I don't think they take dogs though.

Old 03-08-2010, 01:15 PM

Hey y'all!

Believe it or not, I am STILL travelling back. What a trip!

A quick note to tell you that we stayed at my MILs at SECape Coral.

We loved the visit. Loved SECape Coral, think it looks better than when we left. I'll expand on that later.

Old 03-08-2010, 01:36 PM

917 posts, read 2,614,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Hey y'all!

Believe it or not, I am STILL travelling back. What a trip!

A quick note to tell you that we stayed at my MILs at SECape Coral.

We loved the visit. Loved SECape Coral, think it looks better than when we left. I'll expand on that later.
Be safe!

Just getting out of Florida is a LONG drive.

Old 03-08-2010, 02:30 PM

317 posts, read 772,229 times
Quote:
Oh, well, after this winter, the cold doesn't bother me. If anything, I am afraid the heat is going to bother me this summer, since I got so acclimated to the cold. It is normally not very cold in Knoxville, but it was this winter.

Has anyone swam in The Gulf, lately?

Thanks for the headsup on the Hampton Inn. I knew you would have the scoop. Oh, and thanks for the link.

I'm trying to find Nancy. If I have a chance I want to meet her. It would be nice to meet you Chris. And yachtcare. And kev if he isn't up north. Wellsme. Bakin'Mama. I'd say kroeran, but I'm pretty sure he is up in CA. tmozer, the gadget guy, LOL, but I think he is up in SC, too. And The Tommys! Some nice folks from Naples, even though they defected on us with that upstart tmozer! (Trust me, I'm kidding, folks)

Anyway, if you all have any ideas I am definitely up for it. I've "talked" to some of you for years.

I'd also LOVE to meet the Punta Gorda folks. Lots of nice folks there, too. And actually Nancy is up there, right now.

Anyhow, it is very short notice and I have to go pack. Will have to take the laptop and still work. I will have Florida clients in Knoxville while I am in Florida. Too funny! From Jacksonville, though.

This isn't when Faithful Frank is suppose to be visiting Fort Myers, is it. I would imagine he would avoid me like the plague. I am enough of a problem in virtual world.
Bummed I didn't see this - it would've been neat to put a face to the handle!

Old 03-08-2010, 10:22 PM

My MIL hogged me like you can't imagine.

We had a wake, a funeral and my MIL was moving. We left on Wednesday to go to Florida. We got in Cape Coral on Thursday morning. We left CC on Sunday morning and didn't get home until Monday afternoon.

It was very, very slow going. We had two adults, one kid, one fat dog and a ton of electronic equipment. I was trying to work in the car. I got a free upgrade to a sedan but I should have paid for a SUV. Or just flew. I will never, ever do that again.

Allegiant Air goes from Knoxville to Port Charlotte. I hate flying but I hate what I just went through even more.

For all of you waiting to hear it, here it is: I loved swFlorida. What I saw of it, anyway.

We stopped in Sarasota. Nice people. Siesta Key was chilly but wonderful. Port Charlotte still has its senior citizen prisons. They are these nice-but-packed-in-double-wides surrounded by big high fences, like they don't want the elderly to wander out.

Punta Gorda was charming.

Cape Coral was great. Wonderful. Beautiful.

You have to remember, we left during the boom. All of swFlorida was ridiulous. Now, it is back to the way it used to be. People smile. They wave. Store clerks say please and thank you and chat. I thought I was in Knoxville.

I didn't go to Lehigh or San Carlos. The family still says Lehigh is a mess. Sorry, Lehigh people. Just reporting what they are saying. My daughter said San Carlos was a mixed bag.

We drove through Fort Myers downtown and it was dead. That's normal. And it was Sunday morning. But it looked really, really pretty. The condos are empty but someday, someone will buy them. LOL

Cape Coral, a year ago, was inundated with for sale signs and boarded up windows. There is still a lot of that, but it isn't half as bad as I expected.

But the jerks are gone and there are some awfully happy people that are there. The entire trip, we met three crabby snowbirds in Sarasota. That was IT!

Yes, unemployment is bad, the family tells me. However, in the past two weeks, everyone, EVERYONE, that wants a job has a job.

That's all the news that is fit to print.

And yes, I miss home. And I can't believe it.

Old 03-09-2010, 05:24 AM

317 posts, read 772,229 times
Quote:
My MIL hogged me like you can't imagine.

We had a wake, a funeral and my MIL was moving. We left on Wednesday to go to Florida. We got in Cape Coral on Thursday morning. We left CC on Sunday morning and didn't get home until Monday afternoon.

It was very, very slow going. We had two adults, one kid, one fat dog and a ton of electronic equipment. I was trying to work in the car. I got a free upgrade to a sedan but I should have paid for a SUV. Or just flew. I will never, ever do that again.

Allegiant Air goes from Knoxville to Port Charlotte. I hate flying but I hate what I just went through even more.

For all of you waiting to hear it, here it is: I loved swFlorida. What I saw of it, anyway.

We stopped in Sarasota. Nice people. Siesta Key was chilly but wonderful. Port Charlotte still has its senior citizen prisons. They are these nice-but-packed-in-double-wides surrounded by big high fences, like they don't want the elderly to wander out.

Punta Gorda was charming.

Cape Coral was great. Wonderful. Beautiful.

You have to remember, we left during the boom. All of swFlorida was ridiulous. Now, it is back to the way it used to be. People smile. They wave. Store clerks say please and thank you and chat. I thought I was in Knoxville.

I didn't go to Lehigh or San Carlos. The family still says Lehigh is a mess. Sorry, Lehigh people. Just reporting what they are saying. My daughter said San Carlos was a mixed bag.

We drove through Fort Myers downtown and it was dead. That's normal. And it was Sunday morning. But it looked really, really pretty. The condos are empty but someday, someone will buy them. LOL

Cape Coral, a year ago, was inundated with for sale signs and boarded up windows. There is still a lot of that, but it isn't half as bad as I expected.

But the jerks are gone and there are some awfully happy people that are there. The entire trip, we met three crabby snowbirds in Sarasota. That was IT!

Yes, unemployment is bad, the family tells me. However, in the past two weeks, everyone, EVERYONE, that wants a job has a job.

That's all the news that is fit to print.

And yes, I miss home. And I can't believe it.

Is there such a thing as a jaw-dropping smilie?

Old 03-09-2010, 03:40 PM

681 posts, read 884,254 times
Quote:
everyone, EVERYONE, that wants a job has a job.
COME ON!

" Nearly 1,000 people are battling for 18 jobs in Cape Coral – some of which pay around $8 an hour. City leaders say while they're not surprised the number of people applying is so high, they are surprised by the new face of unemployment in the Cape

During its slow season, which is typically October through January, the city had 5,200 people apply for jobs.

"Normally during high season, for Sunsplash we get a lot of minors that apply. But over the last two seasons, we've had more adults," said Hill.
And those adults, who are highly qualified, say they are willing to take entry level positions just so they can get back to work.

http://www.abc-7.com/Global/story.asp?S=12045750
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area