Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 10:53 AM

9 posts, read 16,722 times

Advertisements

Our family is relocating to Fort Myers area (new job) We are interested in the schools K-12. We will be renting so we would like to make sure we get into an area with top-rated schools. Also, we will be in need of a good church, evangelical, spirit filled church.

Last edited by Jarm; 03-16-2010 at 11:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 11:27 AM

317 posts, read 772,311 times
Fort Myers has school choice.

Old 03-16-2010, 11:29 AM

Could you please name some great, safe school districts....

Old 03-16-2010, 11:33 AM

89 posts, read 262,469 times
Go into this with your eyes wide open. We just moved here on Wednesday after researching the area for a few months. (Relocation for job also) It doesn't really matter where you live in the area. The county uses School Choice. The county has 3 zones, and you get to choose your top choices within your sub-zone. Do a quick search on this forum and read more about it. The deadline was March 5th for the first round of school choice. Now, it is a lottery to get in. (Good luck)

We can't really afford the private schools in the area ($7,000 per year per kid), so I've done quite a bit of research on the zones. Just about every zone has about 2 schools that seem decent. We are bidding on a short sale, so we aren't sure where we will be for the next school year. If we don't get into one of our top school choices, we will homeschool for the year.

We even made the deadline for one of the Charter Schools, and we were still placed in the lottery pool. Go to the lee county school website and read about each school. You can also see the school ratings. Then go to greatschools.net and see what parents are saying.

Good luck!

Old 03-16-2010, 11:44 AM

This information is MOST helpful! We won't be moving until July so we have a little bit of time. We have 5 children so this move will take quite a bit of planning. THANKS AGAIN !

Old 03-16-2010, 07:39 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times
They say that School Choice is liked by a large majority of the parents. I've never met one that liked it. Getting into a school that is very popular is next to impossible, even if you are waiting at the doors the first day. I've been through it.

First Assembly in Fort Myers could fit the bill for church. It is a huge church. First Assembly of God, Fort Myers, FL

Old 03-17-2010, 09:46 AM

135 posts, read 407,880 times
Public schools here are no good IMO. We moved from up north, and my kids were years ahead of the public education down here. I guess there are the few exceptions, but like hiknapster said, they are hard to get in to. If you aren't moving until July, I wouldn't hold my breath that you'll get your first choice of schools. Like poolready said...........they have already done the first round of picking for next year. Last I checked, you aren't even allowed to enroll in Lee County until you can prove you are living there......for example, by showing them a utility bill, mortgage payment, or some other proof that you are already residing in Lee County. So you won't be able to enroll until July, after you move. I imagine that most of the "good" schools will be full by then. Private schools do run around 7,000 a year but I know of a couple that are a little less. Homeschooling seems to be huge down here, and there are even some part time schools where you go three days a week to school and homeschool the other two days of the week. There is a fee for this but it is less than private schooling.

There are so many non-English speaking students and I think that is why so many schools are so far behind. It's hard to teach students to do well on tests when they can't understand you and translators are few and far between.

Old 03-17-2010, 09:49 AM

135 posts, read 407,880 times
I hear Summit Church is great as well as McGregor Baptist. I haven't been to First Assembly, but have heard good things about them.

Old 03-17-2010, 01:02 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obxnc7 View Post
Homeschooling seems to be huge down here, and there are even some part time schools where you go three days a week to school and homeschool the other two days of the week. There is a fee for this but it is less than private schooling.
I had never heard of this before, but I like it. Anyone have a name?

Old 03-17-2010, 01:27 PM

89 posts, read 262,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I had never heard of this before, but I like it. Anyone have a name?
Funny you should mention this. Last night, I came across a school that does it. It is called Classical Christian on Bayshore Road. They are a private school, but also offer parttime classes to homeschoolers. Classes such as Latin and violin. Very interesting concept to me.

We homeschooled this year. I am considering doing it this year too because I am not impressed with our choices in Ft Myers. I would love to hear some other schools that offer this. I think it would be ideal for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area