Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 07:05 AM

3,418 posts, read 7,789,284 times

Advertisements

We don't hate people who want to move here. The problem is many folks have unrealistic expectations and deny any negative point that contradicts their vision of Florida.

You are not one of those.

Come on down. You are in the perfect position to make the move.

Estero was a rural area until the building boom which began late 90s. There are very few "old" parts of Estero. All of it is safe AFAIK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 08:23 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,771,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMD3819 View Post
We don't hate people who want to move here. The problem is many folks have unrealistic expectations and deny any negative point that contradicts their vision of Florida.

You are not one of those.

Come on down. You are in the perfect position to make the move.

Estero was a rural area until the building boom which began late 90s. There are very few "old" parts of Estero. All of it is safe AFAIK.
Yes, ALL of Estero is safe... Nothing ever goes on here...

Old 04-14-2010, 06:56 PM

269 posts, read 911,065 times
Well thanks to everyone for their thoughts/stories. I am sold, SW Florida it is. I'm still leaning towards Estero.

RMD - That was my attempt at humor, I've read through pages of people describing SW Florida like people used to describe Harlem. I figured it was a mix of people who expected it to be a permanent vacation and were disappointed all their problems followed them and the rest were people sick of the first type. I was curious how people would respond if someone had actually spent some time thinking about it prior to moving across the country. Luckily all the responses have been positive so I'm sure I'll enjoy it.

Thanks again

Old 04-15-2010, 04:51 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,771,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLippi View Post
Well thanks to everyone for their thoughts/stories. I am sold, SW Florida it is. I'm still leaning towards Estero.

RMD - That was my attempt at humor, I've read through pages of people describing SW Florida like people used to describe Harlem. I figured it was a mix of people who expected it to be a permanent vacation and were disappointed all their problems followed them and the rest were people sick of the first type. I was curious how people would respond if someone had actually spent some time thinking about it prior to moving across the country. Luckily all the responses have been positive so I'm sure I'll enjoy it.

Thanks again
The only ones we think are nuts are the ones that move here with Disney dreams as if the entire state is a vacation land. Move here with NO jobs, hardly any money, etc. Then when they ask us, we give them the answers they want and then we get attitude for telling them how it is, OR the other members who don't even live here tell us we are wrong, and all we do is scare people. NOT what we are trying to do.

You are doing it the right way. A smart cookie you are.

On the other hand I have posted many dislikes of FL, I think I have a right as long as I have been here to say what I think. I have seen Fl go from high to low. I like it a lot here in Estero, my whole dislike is Summer here. otherwise it is good.

Old 04-15-2010, 09:47 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
The only ones we think are nuts are the ones that move here with Disney dreams as if the entire state is a vacation land. Move here with NO jobs, hardly any money, etc. Then when they ask us, we give them the answers they want and then we get attitude for telling them how it is, OR the other members who don't even live here tell us we are wrong, and all we do is scare people. NOT what we are trying to do.

You are doing it the right way. A smart cookie you are.
That's it.

I think my biggest scare is when a young family with kids, or working folks with no savings, or young retirees that MUST work - that live in an area with much better unemployment rates - says oh, heck, things are the same everywhere and we'd rather move down there where the weather is better.

There are ways to move down and be in that demographic. You would need to already have a promise of a good job, in writing, or an excellent business plan - knowing your location and demographic and understanding the local economy and season - and the money to start it up. Or you just won the lottery or a had a substantial inheritance.

There are FABULOUS deals to be had but there are other considerations. I've learned that different parts of the country can be VERY different and it does make a difference. Believe me, until I moved out of New England, I thought I knew and understood this but I did not.

But if you have all your ducks in a row, swFlorida is an excellent choice right now. It's not like it is 2007 and I had to run around screaming the sky is falling. Those were very bad days but I hope I helped at least one person not go underwater. I really do.

Today is 2010 and I say, with a few caveats, go for it. Yes, there is still plenty of inventory, but the cream of the crop is getting bought up, so go for it. And it looks like the tax credit will NOT be extended.

And I think more and more younger folks are moving in and that is a great thing, especially if they are bringing a job with them. Are you kidding? The locals will LOVE you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area