Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 09:06 PM

543 posts, read 1,228,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida1 View Post
leevcb.com As far as the whole me being another person deal, I've already covered that. Now let me ask you, why did you post crimes that didn't even happen in this county in a Ft. Myers thread?
What posts are you referring to?
I think you have me confused with Floridamove2, from another post I noticed that you mentioned Floridamove2 as doing what you said above.

Last edited by Floridanative2; 08-17-2007 at 09:39 PM.. Reason: added
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2007, 06:58 PM

5 posts, read 45,648 times
Keyword, you said you VACATION in Florida, not LIVE HERE. Your comment got me very mad because I find alot of NORTHERN VACATIONERS like to say how lovely and beautiful it is here to visit but try LIVING HERE. Oh I see, you will be living here. Well, LOL, you will see, oh trust me, you will see. Good luck to you, you will need it.

Old 09-23-2007, 01:06 AM

1 posts, read 10,549 times
Default An Outsider's View of Ft. Myers

I have been considering moving from Los Angeles to Fort Myers. I have family on Sanibel who want me nearby. Fort Myers has been featured on "COPS" and "TO CATCH A PREDATOR" so I figured there must be something happening there.

I've made 4 or so trips to research the area. These are some of the things I found.

The city seems to be paralyzed by traffic. There is no escape. If you try to use side streets as we do in Los Angeles, you will quickly hit a dead end usually at a fetid canal. There is no escape. McGregor was the worst.

Online real estate searches identified North Fort Myers as a reasonably priced area. I also looked outside of town at an area called Buckingham. Buckingham reminded me of Malibu Road across Pacific Coast Highway from Zuma Beach. Malibu Road has large lots with houses referred to here as "ranchitos". Don Henley of the Eagles among others hid out their after brushes with the law.

Most if not all real estate agents would have started their chirping if I had indicated I was interested in property in either area. That is their job, to chirp.

I was lucky to meet a Fort Myers store owner who gave me the real deal on North Fort Myers and Buckingham.

He told me that North Fort Myers was OK if you didn't mind having your dog poisoned by neighbors who didn't like you -- for anything. He said that is the preferred "Not Welcome Wagon" message next to slit tires.

He told me that Buckingham is beautiful and has large lots and privacy and the largest KKK population in the area. He told me it would be a great place to live if you didn't mind waking up in the middle of the night to good ole boys' gunfire at 3 AM.

I wanted to know more and went back to Buckingham and took the photos below.

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb183/georgewdolt/godisgood.jpg (broken link)

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb183/georgewdolt/calvary.jpg (broken link)

I did find what looked like a great deal on a house near the beach (photo below) away from the wack job evangelical KKK in Buckingham.

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb183/georgewdolt/tiretree.jpg (broken link)

Some of the posters here have, I'm embarrassed for them to say this, strangely focused on the "shopping opportunities" in the Fort Myers area, listing "malls" and "outlets" as if loading up on unneeded Chinese crap makes a paradise. I am sorry for them and am sure they do not represent the average Fort Myers resident. No one could be that shallow.

If you can imagine yourself outside of the malls and all their Chinese made treasures, there are always the Fort Myers "convenience stores", conveniently located throughout Fort Myers.

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb183/georgewdolt/supplies.jpg (broken link)

Old 09-23-2007, 04:49 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAXtoFtMyers View Post
I have been considering moving from Los Angeles to Fort Myers. I have family on Sanibel who want me nearby. Fort Myers has been featured on "COPS" and "TO CATCH A PREDATOR" so I figured there must be something happening there.

I've made 4 or so trips to research the area. These are some of the things I found.

The city seems to be paralyzed by traffic. There is no escape. If you try to use side streets as we do in Los Angeles, you will quickly hit a dead end usually at a fetid canal. There is no escape. McGregor was the worst.

Online real estate searches identified North Fort Myers as a reasonably priced area. I also looked outside of town at an area called Buckingham. Buckingham reminded me of Malibu Road across Pacific Coast Highway from Zuma Beach. Malibu Road has large lots with houses referred to here as "ranchitos". Don Henley of the Eagles among others hid out their after brushes with the law.

Most if not all real estate agents would have started their chirping if I had indicated I was interested in property in either area. That is their job, to chirp.

I was lucky to meet a Fort Myers store owner who gave me the real deal on North Fort Myers and Buckingham.

He told me that North Fort Myers was OK if you didn't mind having your dog poisoned by neighbors who didn't like you -- for anything. He said that is the preferred "Not Welcome Wagon" message next to slit tires.

He told me that Buckingham is beautiful and has large lots and privacy and the largest KKK population in the area. He told me it would be a great place to live if you didn't mind waking up in the middle of the night to good ole boys' gunfire at 3 AM.

I wanted to know more and went back to Buckingham and took the photos below.

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb183/georgewdolt/godisgood.jpg (broken link)

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb183/georgewdolt/calvary.jpg (broken link)

I did find what looked like a great deal on a house near the beach (photo below) away from the wack job evangelical KKK in Buckingham.

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb183/georgewdolt/tiretree.jpg (broken link)

Some of the posters here have, I'm embarrassed for them to say this, strangely focused on the "shopping opportunities" in the Fort Myers area, listing "malls" and "outlets" as if loading up on unneeded Chinese crap makes a paradise. I am sorry for them and am sure they do not represent the average Fort Myers resident. No one could be that shallow.

If you can imagine yourself outside of the malls and all their Chinese made treasures, there are always the Fort Myers "convenience stores", conveniently located throughout Fort Myers.

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb183/georgewdolt/supplies.jpg (broken link)
So, are you still considering moving to Ft. Myers? LOL
Love your post.....

Old 09-23-2007, 05:05 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,512,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAXtoFtMyers View Post
I have been considering moving from Los Angeles to Fort Myers. I have family on Sanibel who want me nearby.
There is no escape.

Online real estate searches identified North Fort Myers as a reasonably priced area.

"Not Welcome Wagon" messa

...represent the average Fort Myers resident. No one could be that shallow.
Sanibel is not Fort Myers. Hopefully, the family you have on Sanibel has been wise enough to inform you of that fact. It in no shape or form represents the crap of Fort Myers.

North Fort Myers? I don't even know where to begin....

And my favorite line... "Not Welcome Wagon"....that is Fort Myers if you are under 65, don't own a boat & have children that you want to raise in a healthy, family oriented environment that has decent schools.

The average Fort Myers resident...do you really want to find out? Then move here & you will find the oddest, strangest, rudest people. If you are a crabby retiree who thinks the world owns them everything, then this is the place. Hopefully you own a 1990 Cadillac & can drive 25 miles down Daniels & then switch over 3 lanes without a turn signal. If so, make the move!! If you are not a retiree but your car breaks down frequently & you smoke on the side of the road with your shirt off waiting for a tow truck, join the crowd of Fort Myers.

Save yourself the trouble & visit your family on Sanibel for vacation. You will be a much happier person.

Old 10-30-2007, 02:53 PM

1 posts, read 10,439 times
Default If you're poor, Fort Myers is hell

Hi. I live in Fort Misery, I was raised here.
sadly, I am poor and must live in a trailer park near down town fort myers.
My park is located on the outskirts of a middle class neighborhood, hidden by a long hedge of bushes.
I am pretty sure several people have been murdered in the park that I live in, but I haven't been able to find the news records to show it. I can however, prove that this is the trailer park made famous by the kidnapping of a Hispanic baby in 2006.

FOXNews.com - Florida Police Blame Human Smugglers for Kidnapping a 1-Month-Old Baby - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News

Also, after my trailer park was sold when its original owner died, it was turned into a "Hispanic Labor Camp". At least 90% of the people who live here now are Hispanic/Latino.
Right across the road (Linhart) I took a picture of a few illegal aliens giving each other haircuts (I don't think they liked that).

A year later , their house was torn down, and this sign was put up.

Right now, I can't even get a job as a dishwasher, because all of the low skilled jobs have been taken over by illegals.

Fort Myers has been called "The most segregated city in America".
The rich people live off of McGregor Boulevard and treat everyone else like scum. The middle class people live in between McGregor and Cleveland Avenue and hide in their homes all day. And the majority of the minorities live on the east side of Cleveland where most of the prostitution and drug selling occurs, in between Cleveland Avenue, all the way down to interstate I-75.
There is no sense of community here, there is a lot of hate and racism, and poverty.
Unless you have a college degree and some actual skills that can earn you a real living, then this is a horrible place to live. The average apartment rent around here is about $800.00 a month, while most jobs pay about $6-8 per hour.
There are simply too many things to list about why Fort Myers is so awful, so I am going to take a break for now.
Do not move here unless you are retired, or well off financially and can afford to live in a nice area, like a gated community.

Last edited by christar999; 10-30-2007 at 03:06 PM..

Old 10-31-2007, 06:45 PM

6 posts, read 27,362 times
Default the real story

First of all, I never thought I would be put into a position of defending Fort Myers. I have long tried to convince friends of how much better Sarasota is than Fort Myers and especially Naples. However, to read this forum, one would think that Fort Myers is hell on earth. It is not. Frankly, I don't know how someone living in Tennessee can be uppity about anything to anyone. That's pretty much as low as you can go as far as prestige states and inhabitants. Can anyone name a state worse than TN (redneck, Deep South, as red as states get politically).

The OP wanted helpful suggestions and all many have done is tell them not to move there, which wasn't what they asked for. Especially for the guy from Erie, PA, moving across the country for the first time, I think he'll love it. New first jobs allow for the honeymoon time to last because it most likely will not be his final career stop. But even if it was, so what?

It seems the people who hate Fort Myers have lived in bad areas, and yes there are bad areas there. I have lived pretty much everywhere in Florida, south of Orlando, so I feel some qualifications here. South Fort Myers is very nice. If you're in a gated community like I was, then as was stated, there's plenty of shopping and yes the weather is nice. Summers are bad but that is true of anywhere in Florida. People just stay inside like they would in the winter in the north.

My favorite Florida cities are Sarasota and Miami. Both have lots of culture and things to do that Fort Myers doesn't. However they have their downsides as well. I was honestly not that happy living in Sarasota. It has two big draws: gorgeous free beaches and a real downtown. But I didn't like my downtown Sarasota job when I lived there, so I wasn't really happy there.

Granted, everyone knows that Miami is a big city and nothing on the west coast of Florida rivals that. However, these people are lucky not to be about to look for a place there because it would be like trying to find a place to live in Manhattan, and you'll need to know at least some Spanish. Same for Broward with less Spanish. Very expensive and not much availability.

Also granted to the guy who said the turquiose water is prettier on the east coast. It is. However, the west coast has a safe feeling suburban vibe everywhere south of Tampa. The east coast is urban, very urban. Many more New Yorkers, Hatians, and Cubans on the east coast. There just are. They are significant percentages of the population there, not so on the west coast. The guy who mentioned Hallandale, and Hollywood as being great places, well they're not. Just a bunch of 1960's era buildings in disrepair. The housing stock in much of Broward and Palm Beach counties is old compared to the west coast.

I like the fact that Miami is cosmopolitan, but it is definitely not easy to live there. Better to visit and stay with relatives there so you can shop, party, etc., but not have to deal with all the headaches.

Fort Myers is a nice enough place to be introduced to Florida. And Florida is a great place to live. Sarasota is only an hour up the road and Fort Lauderdale is only 1.5 hours in the other direction. I used to go to South Beach every Sat. night and still be home by 1 or 2am.

Old 10-31-2007, 07:15 PM

354 posts, read 1,273,411 times
I love that convienience store photo......

I was at the Hess station at corner of 41 and Pondella one day, middle of the summer. There was a young couple counting pennies to get a gallon of milk. I felt bad. Then when I was outside I noticed them ripping down the road on 2 ATV's. ?????? Priorities.....

Ever notice how many cigarette-smoking bicycle riders with a 12 pak there are? They're not riding bikes for their health. DUI????

I HAD a store in N. Ft. Myers. Most of NFM is a dump. I had some really low rent mobile home parks everywhere near me.

All that being said Ft. Myers ain't all that bad. I've been to great downtown Ft. Myers bike night events sponsored by the city. Red Sox spring training in a not so good neighborhood but it was daytime.

Sanibel.... why do you think they have a toll booth. That's the Florida way of keeping out the riff-raff. Just like gated communities. Up north you just have rich town, poor town, middle class town.

Old 11-01-2007, 04:41 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickerage View Post
Can anyone name a state worse than TN (redneck, Deep South, as red as states get politically).

It seems the people who hate Fort Myers have lived in bad areas, and yes there are bad areas there. I have lived pretty much everywhere in Florida, south of Orlando, so I feel some qualifications here. South Fort Myers is very nice. If you're in a gated community like I was, then as was stated, there's plenty of shopping and yes the weather is nice.
First of all, I did lived in south Fort Myers. If you have to live in a gated community to enjoy an area, it's a sad state of affairs.

But here's the rub. I don't consider south Fort Myers "very nice." I do consider Tennessee to be great. Rednecks? I guess you didn't step out of the gated community too often, did you? I'll take polite rednecks over mean rednecks any day.

Oh, and I've lived all over Orlando, too.

Old 11-01-2007, 05:23 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post

Oh, and I've lived all over Orlando, too.
You too? I'm curious about your opinion of Orlando.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area