Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 09:12 AM

Location: Long Island, NY & The Somerset at the Plantation, Fort Myers, FL
95 posts, read 213,807 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. I'm curious as to what people who actually live in the Fort Myers area think is the best areas of that rather large city are?

I just bought a brand new house in the Plantation Somerset community, which is in south Fort Myers. Reading some of the threads here, someone like me who lives on Long Island, NY, for example, might get the impression that the Fort Myers area is one notch up from a third world nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 06:05 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,767,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie360 View Post
Hello everyone. I'm curious as to what people who actually live in the Fort Myers area think is the best areas of that rather large city are?

I just bought a brand new house in the Plantation Somerset community, which is in south Fort Myers. Reading some of the threads here, someone like me who lives on Long Island, NY, for example, might get the impression that the Fort Myers area is one notch up from a third world nation.
You got one in South Fort Myers, And where you bought is very good. No problems with where you are talking about. It is anythiong NORTH of Colonial Blvd, and a couple areas south of it, but nowhere you are going to be. Be happy, you got the right one!!!!

Old 05-25-2010, 06:18 PM

1,210 posts, read 3,282,813 times
My idea is to separate and form a new town called Punta Rassa which runs from Colonial down to Alico, Fort Myers Beach (and Punta Rassa) over to the 75.

Punta Rassa...land of mystery! ; - )

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:Kt-_zoz6HfAFCM:http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2168/2511078999_e875815efa.jpg%3Fv%3D0 (broken link)

Old 05-25-2010, 11:06 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kroeran View Post
My idea is to separate and form a new town called Punta Rassa which runs from Colonial down to Alico, Fort Myers Beach (and Punta Rassa) over to the 75.

You probably already know there is a Punta Rassa. Your web browser and the Maps site are incompatible

Thanks Chris, for adding that little caveat. Some keep forgetting that there are some spotty areas in there.

There's nothing wrong with the Somerset at Plantation, though. Nice area. OP, surely you must realize that not all areas are like that.

Old 05-26-2010, 06:13 AM

6,218 posts, read 7,725,739 times
Quote:

That would be a rather large town, kroe.(With Paseo as the "Capital" complex, I assume?) Bigger than the actual Fort Myers I think. That reminds me there was a little burg called "Bigger" in that area as well, along with "Truckland" and several others that escape me at the moment.....Of the little enclaves of the past, the actual Punta Rassa has faired the best at keeping it's actual identity. No doubt due to it's location, location, location at the mouth of the Caloosahatchee.

Punta Rassa was a major cattle shipping port, most of those shipments going to Cuba, but all over the Caribbean as well. MacGregor Ave was the main cattle path that the ranchers would use to take the cattle down to Punta Rassa. For those of us around the area of southern MacGregor and Punta Rassa when the construction boom was ongoing, the evidence of that was still there, as a rather pungent odor would fill the air whenever they began excavating the dirt for various projects.

Punta Rassa was also the location of the U.S. end of the underwater communications cable (telegraph) between the U.S. and Havana in the late 1800's. The first word of the sinking of the USS Maine in Havana harbor arrived at Punta Rassa..........That might clear up some of the "mystery" for you.

To the OP, I'd agree you did good, but would add that Ft Myers is likely still about a half notch below a first world experience. We got all the bells and whistles anywhere else has these days, but it's historical "culture" is steeped in cattle ranching and produce plantations. As one gets further to the east, and particularly south east of the main metro area, some of that still persists to this day.

YC.......

Old 05-26-2010, 07:10 AM

notice that Estero is named after Estero Bay, and San Carlos Park is named after San Carlos Bay, next geographical feature moving up the shoreline is Punta Rassa, so I thought it would be logical to incorporate that name into the new city.

might make just as much sense to name it without incorporating separately....rather than calling it Daniels Corridor, just start calling it Punta Rassa.

Or maybe Punta Rassa Preserve to avoid confusion with Punta Rassa proper

guaranteed 10% boost in tourism and property values! Make the 6 mile slough its symbol and push the enviro-tourism aspect.

Disneyfy the slough...call it something else...Punta Rassa Glades...slough sounds like a chemical factory toxic settling pond

"Verb1.slough off - discard as undesirable; "the candidate sloughed off his former campaign workers" get rid of, remove - dispose of; "Get rid of these old shoes!"; "The company got rid of all the dead wood"

border could be the triangle between the slough (Punta Rassa Glades!) the 75 and Allico.

the motto of a little town in Saskatchewan called Biggar is "New York is big, but this is Biggar!"

Old 05-26-2010, 08:14 AM

5,503 posts, read 7,330,107 times
Nice history Yacht, just wanted to add that Punta Rassa was the tarpon fishing capital of the world for a time.
Sanibel Island Florida, Fort Myers Attraction - Sanibel Harbour Marriott Resort & Spa (http://www.sanibel-resort.com/about/history.php - broken link)
I always loved that area but couldn't afford to get a place with a boat in the backyard.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:42 AM

Quote:
notice that Estero is named after Estero Bay, and San Carlos Park is named after San Carlos Bay, next geographical feature moving up the shoreline is Punta Rassa, so I thought it would be logical to incorporate that name into the new city.

might make just as much sense to name it without incorporating separately....rather than calling it Daniels Corridor, just start calling it Punta Rassa.

Or maybe Punta Rassa Preserve to avoid confusion with Punta Rassa proper

guaranteed 10% boost in tourism and property values! Make the 6 mile slough its symbol and push the enviro-tourism aspect.

Disneyfy the slough...call it something else...Punta Rassa Glades...slough sounds like a chemical factory toxic settling pond

"Verb1.slough off - discard as undesirable; "the candidate sloughed off his former campaign workers" get rid of, remove - dispose of; "Get rid of these old shoes!"; "The company got rid of all the dead wood"

border could be the triangle between the slough (Punta Rassa Glades!) the 75 and Allico.

the motto of a little town in Saskatchewan called Biggar is "New York is big, but this is Biggar!"
Just an FYI..........

In your example "slough" is pronounced, I believe as.....'sluff'.

For the Six Mile Slough, it is pronounced more as.....'slew'.

At least that is the way I understand it. Someone may correct me if I am wrong.

And yes, the local place here is actually spelled with the "a"....Biggar. It was(is) the name of the family that owned the plantation there, and in other parts of the county. The Cook family was another big name in the area. Only in the most recent boom did their acreage along San Carlos Blvd on the way to the beach get developed into houses. Harlem Heights was a sharecropping community that provided labor for some of these areas back in the day. Gladiolus and MacGregor were a major crossroads in southern Ft Myers area at the time, Summerlin didnt exist until the early/mid eighties if memory serves. So the proximity of the sharecropper community makes sense. Gladiolus was of course famous for growing, well, gladiolus for the florist industry. From what I recall, the area just off US 41 up to Winkler was the hub of flower greenhouses for many years, beyond that was "Biggar" and further down at the intersection of MacGregor was Harlem Heights.

Cattle, flowers, and produce was the original shorebound segment of the local economy. Maybe we should go back to that, eh?

YC.......

Last edited by Compression; 05-26-2010 at 10:12 AM..

Old 05-26-2010, 09:50 AM

good point.

either way...slough is not appealing to non-Floridian ears (if one wanted to primp the image a bit for marketing purposes)

from Dictionary.com
[SIZE=4]slough[/SIZE]
1   /[SIZE=3]slaʊ[/SIZE] for 1, 2, 4; [SIZE=3]slu[/SIZE] for 3/ Show Spelled[slou for 1, 2, 4; sloo for 3] Show IPA
–noun 1. an area of soft, muddy ground; swamp or swamplike region.

2. a hole full of mire, as in a road.

3. Also, slew, slue. Northern U.S. and Canadian. a marshy or reedy pool, pond, inlet, backwater, or the like.

4. a condition of degradation, despair, or helplessness.

Use slough in a Sentence

See images of slough

Search slough on the Web

Origin:
bef. 900; ME; OE slōh; c. MLG slōch, MHG sluoche ditch

.sponsored_Img{filter: progidXImageTransform.Microsoft.AlphaImageLoader (src='http://4.afs.googleadservices.com/images/partners/CIXwwc2S8KECFRCenAodXDzDIA/aj-lexico-dict.png',sizingMethod='crop');float:right;margin-top:4px;width:91px;height:12px;cursor:default;}Slough Hotels
Hotels up to 50% Off. Read Reviews. Cheap Rates. Search 35+ Sites!

HotelHelpers.com/Slough-Hotels

[SIZE=4]slough[/SIZE]

2   /[SIZE=3]slʌf[/SIZE]/ Show Spelled[sluhf] Show IPA
–noun 1. the outer layer of the skin of a snake, which is cast off periodically.

2. Pathology. a mass or layer of dead tissue separated from the surrounding or underlying tissue.

3. anything that is shed or cast off.

4. Cards. a discard.

–verb (used without object) 5. to be or become shed or cast off, as the slough of a snake.

6. to cast off a slough.

7. Pathology. to separate from the sound flesh, as a slough.

8. Cards. to discard a card or cards.

–verb (used with object) 9. to dispose or get rid of; cast (often fol. by off): to slough off a bad habit.

10. to shed as or like a slough.

11. Cards. to discard (cards).

—Verb phrase 12. slough over, to treat as slight or trivial: to slough over a friend's mistake.

Also, sluff.

Origin:
1250–1300; ME slughe, slouh skin of a snake; c. G Schlauch skin, bag

—Related forms slough·i·ness, noun
sloughy, adjective
un·sloughed, adjective
un·slough·ing, adjective

—Synonyms
6. molt.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:20 AM

Quote:
good point.

either way...slough is not appealing to non-Floridian ears (if one wanted to primp the image a bit for marketing purposes)
I understand your point, and remember, I also am just a humble transplant from Michigan, but there was a time, before the "boom" when bumper stickers with the following message were very common in these parts.....It read......"We dont care how you do it up north".

YC.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area