Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 09:39 PM

244 posts, read 487,381 times

Advertisements

I have read a few postings about the subject "assessments' and I thought I can probably give a rough overview.

When we talk about assessments we talk about central water and sewer. Most homes in NE and NW Cape Coral are still on well and septic. Which is not to bad, I live in North Fort Myers since about 20 years (in the woods ) and since then I am on well and septic. I have never had any problems with it.

But here is the "problem" in Cape Coral. The City of Cape Coral wants to connect all properties within the City Limits to central water and sewer. Here is the "masterplan" for central water and sewer in Cape Coral:

City of Cape Coral Utility Expansion

Most homes in SE Cape Coral and some homes in SW Cape Coral are connected to central water and sewer already and the assessments and connection fees are paid in full.

Then there are homes mainly in SW Cape Coral but some in NE Cape Coral as well, who are connected to central water and sewer but those assessments are either not or only partially paid.

In other areas in Cape Coral, like I mentioned before, homes are still on well and septic.

Now (or when ever they start again) the City is extending water and sewer lines and the propert owners will be "forced" to connect to the central systems. Those assessment fees are currently around $ 25,000 for connection, impact fee, abandonment of the septic, permits and the actual assessments. The City is offering payment options. One payment option is you pay in one sum and will get a discount, the second payment option is to pay it in installments and the third payment option is to pay it with your property taxes over several years. The City currently halted the extension project but I am sure that they will start again in a few month. If you click on the link above you can see when certain areas might be connected to central water and sewer. Also the city is currently working on a few more payment options for the assessments and you might check with the City for more information.

Some o
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 09:59 PM

98 posts, read 368,712 times
monicak21,

I live in NW Cape area of Diplomat and Nelson. The last letter I got from the city said sewer was no longer planned for my area. They also said city water was planned, and that it would cost 6k + hookup by a local plumber which ran under 1000. Also said if paid early and up front price would only be 4500$. Is that old info and no longer correct??

Old 06-04-2010, 10:38 PM

244 posts, read 487,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott26 View Post
monicak21,

I live in NW Cape area of Diplomat and Nelson. The last letter I got from the city said sewer was no longer planned for my area. They also said city water was planned, and that it would cost 6k + hookup by a local plumber which ran under 1000. Also said if paid early and up front price would only be 4500$. Is that old info and no longer correct??
I know that they are discussing other options and I know about the letters which went out in that regards. Right now they are not sure what they are going to do. Last thing they were discussing is that it does not make any sense to open up the road twice, once for water and then again later for sewer. They also know that people can not or will not pay for the assessments right now. We will see when the City Counsil is meeting next time and what kind of solution they come up with. There are several options on the table and I am sure they come up with something which will work for City and residents. The good thing is that constructions (single family homes) is starting again and with this the costs will be shared by more people living in an area.

There is a very strong group fighting against the assessments and the city counsil is discussing those solutions with them. At least now they are talking with the residents and are listening. I am sure the next round will be a compromise everyone can live with. The water only solution might be the way they are going. We will probably know more in fall.

Old 06-04-2010, 10:43 PM

98 posts, read 368,712 times
Gotcha thanks.

Old 06-05-2010, 05:26 AM

518 posts, read 1,230,822 times
The water and sewer department in this town is so screwed up. I own a townhouse here and thought the very high maintenance fee covered that like every where else I own units does. But this town has new units built have each unit have there own line and bill so they can control every person.They have so many units not paying for a system they shouldn't have built in the first place. Since I didn't know and the complex doesn't have an hoa yet or mail delivery that works.Know one was able to tell me so the water dept just signed me up off county records sent the bill to the wrong address and then shut the water off on the second month and charged me for the 2 months plus 2 service calls to turn on and turn off. This is for water that wasn't even being used yet. When I did get here my bill it was on the door (not the mail box) along with a shutoff notice and it was Friday evening. They have an after hours number to call but no one works there (cutting costs). so it was 3 days without water. The base rate is a little under 40.00 per month and fees were over that rate for no usage at all. Most cities I know charge a base rate because they found out they built things for people that they didn't need and weren't living in them 12 months a year so they came up with a junk fee to pay for the system. Charge them for nothing being used fee! If I did these things to my customers I would be out of business very quickly. I now know one reason why this town is so messed up. This town needs to just fire the whole county government. It was so much better in this country without them. One of my homes is in the middle of no where with very little government and every thing runs just fine with very little costs. I haven't even started about to many cops in this town. Oddly enough I had to help form the hoa board. More rules. Steve

Old 06-05-2010, 08:29 AM

317 posts, read 772,066 times
Too many cops... give me a break.

Old 06-05-2010, 09:36 AM

What type of break would you like.Have you seen there budgets. Which is another thing this town cannot afford. I remember when there was only few in the whole town. Not much is different now then a long time ago a lot of petty crime and a few more people.crime they do little or nothing about and then just give out loads of tickets to try to pay for there jobs and departments. I had a boat stolen and was told not much we could do and was told don't expect to see it again.Almost like it was a joke to them.But my relative drives 2 blocks to the 7-11 from his house and gets a 110.00 ticket for no seat belt. He didn't give us a break and I doubt you will get one either. Vote them all out.

Old 06-05-2010, 10:41 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,259,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiege1224 View Post
What type of break would you like.Have you seen there budgets. Which is another thing this town cannot afford. I remember when there was only few in the whole town. Not much is different now then a long time ago a lot of petty crime and a few more people.crime they do little or nothing about and then just give out loads of tickets to try to pay for there jobs and departments. I had a boat stolen and was told not much we could do and was told don't expect to see it again.Almost like it was a joke to them.But my relative drives 2 blocks to the 7-11 from his house and gets a 110.00 ticket for no seat belt. He didn't give us a break and I doubt you will get one either. Vote them all out.
Wow. And you just got here. You knew all of this when you moved.

Sorry about the boat, though. I will never understand why people think they can take things that they didn't work for. Shameful.

Old 06-05-2010, 11:35 AM

Yes I did. But my health requires me to live at a lower and warm climate. The price for great water access can't be beat for what you pay for around here. I was born in lee county hospital many years ago but moved to Belleair Beach fl. then to Colorado outside of Breckenridge ski area. I can't afford Belleair Beach any more. They also have the same some what problems with government ect. I do like the area a lot since I like boating and the water so far is clean and great. Just have to put up with the other problems. Steve

Old 06-05-2010, 05:18 PM

317 posts, read 772,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiege1224 View Post
You're right. I got pulled over a mile away from my house for improper left hand turn (which almost caused an accident) and he gave me two tickets - one for the improper turn and one for not having my insurance with me. Well, guess what... I deserved both of those tickets. I don't think having a large police force is a problem. I'd rather have too many police than too few.

Sorry about your boat - that sucks. But, again... I'd rather be told up front that I'd never see it again and be pleasantly surprised if I did then had rainbows blown up my behind just to be disappointed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area