Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Fort Wayne
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2010, 10:21 AM

24 posts, read 84,655 times

Advertisements

Our family may be relocating to Ft. Wayne in the next few months. I would appreciate any information you have to share about good areas to live in Ft. Wayne or the suburbs. Good schools are a must! As far as housing, we'd like to keep it under 200k. Please help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 03:45 PM

336 posts, read 927,206 times
We are also relocating to Fort Wayne, it's been a long haul trying to get our house sold, but we are planning on buying in either the Southwest or Northwest suburbs, where the schools are excellent. I don't know the area codes for Northwest, but the area codes we are looking in are 46814 and 46804. Housing is pretty inexpensive compared to a lot of areas of the country, so finding a house shouldn't be a problem. Where are you coming from?

Old 08-17-2010, 05:15 PM

24 posts, read 84,655 times
Thank you! We're coming from New Jersey how about you? The housing costs in the midwest are a dream compared to NJ!!! Thanks for sharing the zip codes....I'll definitely use them in my search to scope out housing!

Old 08-17-2010, 10:39 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,026,118 times
I live in the 46814 zip code. You should be able to find something in your price range, but this side of town is a bit more expensive. The schools here are wonderful.

Old 08-17-2010, 10:47 PM

336 posts, read 927,206 times
We are coming from Minnesota. Stay in touch with your move!

Old 08-18-2010, 02:06 PM

860 posts, read 2,715,227 times
I second the 46814 area as well as anything in SW Allen . We just moved to AZ a few months ago and I am really missing the school security there. The schools are very safe and high achieving in SW Allen district. Also there are more people in Aboite who have moved from other areas, so depending upon where you come from, you may find this area more progressive than other parts of Ft Wayne. Bridgewater and Jonathan's Landing are very nice, and at Jonathan's Landing everyone has pool privledges, which another poster mentioned Bridgewater may or may not have pool usage included in the HOA.

We were in Covington Elementary Schools area and I really do miss the beautiful design of the school and the countryside surrounding it. The teachers there are all top notch, as well as Woodside Middle School. Homestead is the HS and it is consistently highest rated for education and security. Fort Knox compared to AZ!

If you want more land for your $$ NW Allen Schools are also very good. I think SW Allen is prettier though, as an area.

Old 08-19-2010, 11:17 PM

625 posts, read 1,809,852 times
Definitely southwest or northwest Fort Wayne. However, I must say that the northeast and eastern portion of Fort Wayne is not so bad either. Just not as much growth as the other quadrants of the city, but still growth. I love this area and although it is a big city, it handles itself pretty well!

Old 08-20-2010, 04:09 AM

46 posts, read 104,509 times
In NWAC here as well. I have a 46845 area code. The NWAC school district website actually has a district map available online. We moved here this past January and really like it. Good luck!

Old 11-10-2013, 07:09 PM

1 posts, read 3,479 times
Smile MOVING to Fort Wayne

Hi there. We are relocating to IN from Rhode Island in the next couple of weeks and we are needing some housing information. I have been reading posts/blogs as to where is the best place to live. Looks like a Southwest Allen County has the majority of the votes. Does anyone know of any new developments in the area to live, preferably a single-family home? Maybe even to rent???

Does anyone know of any youth football leagues?? We have an avid 8 yr old football player. What elementary school curriculum does Southwest have?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Old 11-11-2013, 11:55 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,980,836 times
Default Southwest Fort Wayne Information and Recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by santvacc View Post
Hi there. We are relocating to IN from Rhode Island in the next couple of weeks and we are needing some housing information. I have been reading posts/blogs as to where is the best place to live. Looks like a Southwest Allen County has the majority of the votes. Does anyone know of any new developments in the area to live, preferably a single-family home? Maybe even to rent???

Does anyone know of any youth football leagues?? We have an avid 8 yr old football player. What elementary school curriculum does Southwest have?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Hey - welcome to Fort Wayne. In terms of temporary housing I would look into apartments located near exit 302 of highway 69 - I liked what I saw off of Liberty Mills when I looked a few years back. In terms of neighborhoods, there's literally dozens of neighborhoods in the Southwest Fort Wayne vicinity that all rock. Real estate in Fort Wayne is crazy affordable, prepare to be reverse sticker shocked. I prefer the neighborhoods located off of Liberty Mills Rd near Jefferson Blvd. for the simple reason that you have the brand new Kroger Marketplace (a Super Center/Grocery Store) right there along with a few great restaurants and ease of access to the highway and you'll only be 12-15 minutes from the airport.

The Southwest Allen County schools are great, and I would have your kids tested to get into the Alpha Program right away as it's the feeder program for Middle and High School Honors classes. Alpha Elementary Students all attend school at Aboite Elementary (another reason I recommend the area I did). As good as the public school system is in Fort Wayne, there are definitely more well funded and better public school programs in New England and along the East Coast so being in Alpha will keep your children more challenged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Fort Wayne