Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Fort Wayne
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 06:31 AM

9 posts, read 21,284 times

Advertisements

I may be relocating to Ft Wayne, and I'm looking for MCM real estate. I have found some really cool houses off of Aboite Center Rd, but does anyone have any suggestions of other places or specific neighborhoods? I will be working at St. Francis, so I'd like to be somewhat close, but I wouldn't mind a drive for the right house. I'd like a house with a lot of glass that looks over woods or a lake. Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 08:01 PM

202 posts, read 763,108 times
Unfortunately Fort Wayne does not have too much in way of that style. If you found some, I would definitely keep looking in that area. Also, there are several boulevards between Parkview Hospital on State and Anthony, off of State and Lake, that are pricey, rarely for sale, but a few are definitely MCM.

Old 11-02-2011, 05:45 PM

625 posts, read 1,810,817 times
Do you have a ballpark range of how much you would be spending on a house? As far as a lake, ya..... not too much of that in Fort Wayne city limits. However, there is a neighborhood with some nice woods all over Fort Wayne that have historic, well-kept houses. They are close to St. Francis as well. Not sure of the neighborhood name, but do know that one location to look would be the neighborhood off of Jefferson Blvd and next to Lindenwood Cemetery.

Old 11-02-2011, 09:16 PM

I was just informed there are some nice gems of the MCM variety in Wild Wood Park (Place?) off of Jefferson by Lindenwood Cemetery as well.

Old 11-03-2011, 09:56 AM

For price, I'd like to be at or below $250,000. I've looked around St. Francis, and the houses are very inexpensive. Many are below $100,000. Is that a rough part of town?

Old 11-04-2011, 07:39 PM

I used to work at St. Francis, the neighborhoods to the north are pretty nice, but it can get a little dicey as you go east along Spring St toward Hamilton Park. I don't think it is anything to write home about, but my friends who live out there complain about car break-ins, noisy neighbors, as well as apathetic neighbors. Also, every once in awhile a meth house will explode in the neighborhoods off of Wells.

Old 11-05-2011, 05:50 AM

It looks like if I'm going to look east, I should stick near or outside of I-69. If west, I should be outside of Coliseum. I'm trying to get a feel for Fort Wayne. In Louisville, generally speaking, you can consider the area like a clock. If you start at the West End (9:00) and work your way counter-clockwise to the east (about 1:00), things tend to get progressively nicer. I don't really see that reflected in the housing prices in Fort Wayne. It could just be the housing market, but it looks like there will be a nice neighborhood surrounded by very inexpensive housing. Is Fort Wayne one of those cities people avoid because of crime/politics/schools if they have the means to live in surrounding areas? I am familiar with that here in Louisville.

Old 11-05-2011, 07:10 AM

3,892 posts, read 5,513,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emanlooc View Post
It looks like if I'm going to look east, I should stick near or outside of I-69. If west, I should be outside of Coliseum. I'm trying to get a feel for Fort Wayne. In Louisville, generally speaking, you can consider the area like a clock. If you start at the West End (9:00) and work your way counter-clockwise to the east (about 1:00), things tend to get progressively nicer. I don't really see that reflected in the housing prices in Fort Wayne. It could just be the housing market, but it looks like there will be a nice neighborhood surrounded by very inexpensive housing. Is Fort Wayne one of those cities people avoid because of crime/politics/schools if they have the means to live in surrounding areas? I am familiar with that here in Louisville.
Fort Wayne is fine.
The reason why houses are cheap in Indiana is we have one of the most affordable housing markets in America .
Its easy to convert Farmland into suburban development.

Old 11-05-2011, 09:52 AM

625 posts, read 1,810,817 times
Many people prefer to live in the city of Fort Wayne, however, as Fort Wayne generally speaking, doesn't have any suburbs.

Old 11-14-2011, 01:54 PM

4 posts, read 17,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emanlooc View Post

I wouldnt say the only part of the city that people tend to avoid for the crime is the Southeast side of town... South of downdown and east of Calhoun. The schools definitely get better on the outskirts of town... Northwest Allen, Southwest Allen, and Leo tend to be the schools people desire more. As far as MCM style goes, there dont tend to be alot of houses built in the area that would fit that style... and if you do find them they tend to be more than $250,000 even within the city limits. To get one on a wooded lot I would say you are looking at $400+
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Fort Wayne
View detailed profiles of: