Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Fort Wayne
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 06:20 PM

367 posts, read 621,808 times

Advertisements

Hello:

I am possibly going to be making a move to Ft. Wayne with my wife.

- I am a manufacturers rep, my office will be where my home is, but I travel a lot (all over Indiana and more than likely Western Ohio). I need easy access to highways without a lot of headaches.

- We will look in the city first. We currently live in a vibrant, walkable, safe neighborhood in Pittsburgh, Pa (Bloomfield/Little Italy) where we have a large number of bars and restaurants within walking distance... We would like to find the same type of area in Ft. Wayne. What neighborhood would fit this description with access to highways?

- We currently pay $675 a month for a two bed 1 bath duplex (fairly low price for the area)...

Any info would be great...

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 07:17 AM

53 posts, read 134,110 times
If you're traveling a ton, living on the western edge of the city closer to I69 would probably be advantageous. From the southwest side it's also easy to get on 24 and go through downtown into northwest Ohio via either 24 or 30.

Frankly, the sort of neighborhood you're talking about doesn't really exist in Fort Wayne; it's extremely car-centric. Even the older 1920's-30's neighborhoods (some of them still extremely nice) that should have mixed-use infrastructure and street level shopping really don't. The closest you'll probably find to an area like that is the West Central neighborhood, which is just west of downtown bordered by Broadway on the east, Main Street and the river on the north/west, and Washington Blvd on the south. It's (mostly?) single family homes, but there may be a few rental opportunities. The new apartments in the Harrison right by the ball park I imagine would be appealing, but I believe those are going to be more expensive than $675 and won't be complete for some time.

Old 05-16-2012, 10:46 AM

Thank you. I know we won't find something exactly like where we live now, but something that has some options. We enjoy being able to walk to a couple restaurants/bars and maybe a park. I like what I see out of the housing in West Central and $675 is not our limit, that is extremely cheap for the space we have where we currently live.

The best way to find out is to see for ourselves!

Old 05-17-2012, 02:19 AM

1,320 posts, read 3,700,651 times
While Pittsburgh is not a really expensive city, you will find Fort Wayne even a little cheaper. $700 wil get you a very nice 2 bed apt, but you could spend more outside the downtown area, especially if you rent in the corporate type complexes.

Old 05-17-2012, 07:35 AM

Yes, Pittsburgh is cheap, but not as cheap as Ft. Wayne or even Indianapolis for that matter. The place we have typically goes for $950 - $1100 a month depending on what East End neighborhood you live in. Rent really isn't a concern, more or less keeping a similar life style that my wife and I are used to.

Old 05-17-2012, 09:07 AM

3,892 posts, read 5,509,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodeno View Post
Yes, Pittsburgh is cheap, but not as cheap as Ft. Wayne or even Indianapolis for that matter. The place we have typically goes for $950 - $1100 a month depending on what East End neighborhood you live in. Rent really isn't a concern, more or less keeping a similar life style that my wife and I are used to.
Then Indianapolis would be your best option.
Its similar in Size to Pittsburgh and it has that big city feel with small town price. As i like to say the Dollar goes Farther in Indy.

Old 05-17-2012, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
Then Indianapolis would be your best option.
Its similar in Size to Pittsburgh and it has that big city feel with small town price. As i like to say the Dollar goes Farther in Indy.
Ultimately Indy is where I want to be, but my boss feels it best that I'm two hours closer to our home office in Cleveland... Really doesn't make much sense to me as I will be covering all of Indiana...

Old 05-17-2012, 12:12 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,509,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodeno View Post
Ultimately Indy is where I want to be, but my boss feels it best that I'm two hours closer to our home office in Cleveland... Really doesn't make much sense to me as I will be covering all of Indiana...
Well your Boss should know what you want and in all honesty Indy isnt that far away from Cleveland Take I-70 to Columbus then I-71 to go to Cleveland

Old 05-18-2012, 03:50 AM

1,320 posts, read 3,700,651 times
Mapquest shows Ft. Wayne to Cleveland 3:37, 5:12 Indy to Cleveland.

Old 05-23-2012, 06:30 PM

1,706 posts, read 3,307,180 times
Should you be willing, I just responded to another post of an apartment complex in Fort Wayne's Northeastern section...

//www.city-data.com/forum/fort-...tments-fw.html

There was a small mall up the street, depending on how you define walking, and there were a number of restaurants (national chain type) in the vicinity. Mapquest the area and you will see which ones are there or Google and go to street view on the satellite mode.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Fort Wayne