Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Fort Wayne
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 10:56 AM

136 posts, read 241,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ischyros View Post
So it seems you don't want to actually be in Fort Wayne. The closest bigger towns to the GM plant are Huntington and Bluffton. Both have pretty classic midwestern downtown areas, though I tend to prefer Bluffton's just due to the fact that it actually has trees. I don't know that either of them have that much going on downtown. Huntington has its own small university and it still has a working drive-in theater that has recently expanded to include a second screen. There are some nice city parks in Huntington as well. It's a pretty quick drive up US 24 to Fort Wayne which is a 4-lane divided highway. The Huntington Dam southeast of town has created a nice lake that has a public beach with swimming. Bluffton is smaller and even though the Wabash River flows right through downtown, they haven't done much with it other than a paved trail. It is right next to Oubache State Park which has several miles of hiking trails and a public pool as well as a lake for canoeing and paddle boats.

If you want to go even smaller, you can look into Ossian or Roanoke. Roanoke is as close as you can get to the GM plant without being completely country living. It's closer to the plant than almost all of Fort Wayne is. It has a cute downtown but there isn't much to it. It's right on US 24 and if you needed some city shopping, you could be to Jefferson Pointe mall in Fort Wayne in less than 20 minutes. Ossian is kind of the same way in that it has a small downtown but not a whole lot else. It sits about halfway between Fort Wayne and Bluffton.

I don't have much experience in Roanoke or Ossian other than driving through. My experience with both Bluffton and Huntington, I'd choose Huntington just because it has more to do. And it has charming areas like the drive-in and the Sunken Gardens. It's also very well connected by highways (US 24, US 224, SR 9, SR 5, SR 16) so it's very easy to get to other cities and towns in the area.
I attended Huntington University for one year. Huntington is nice on one side of the railroad tracks, but there is a lot of drugs and poverty once you reach a certain point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 07:31 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,267,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest Gent View Post
I attended Huntington University for one year. Huntington is nice on one side of the railroad tracks, but there is a lot of drugs and poverty once you reach a certain point.
Pretty easy to avoid those areas then, isn't it?

Old 07-17-2014, 11:09 PM

136 posts, read 241,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ischyros View Post
Pretty easy to avoid those areas then, isn't it?
Yes. Please don't take my post the wrong way, Huntington is quite nice. But there is a very clear distinction once you go over the tracks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Fort Wayne