Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Fort Wayne
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 11:16 PM

26 posts, read 58,860 times

Advertisements

Hello I am considering relocating from Toledo Ohio to Fort Wayne and would like some input. I will be buying a home and starting a business and so far I think Fort Wayne would be ideal. I like the smaller city with the big city feel. I read that overall it is not a really bad place to live but there are certain areas one should avoid. Can someone reassure me of those areas, zip codes etc.??? Does not have to be the best neighborhood (cannot afford to live in the absolute best area) but decent and sure not the worst(shootings, gangs, drugs). Any advice on schools?? Is Fort Wayne really boring and old fashioned as someone said? Also, is Fort Wayne a good place for single parents in their late 20's to raise a child and have a happy life? Any advice on nightlife urban or mixed?? Any advice or suggestions are greatly appreciated and anyone with experience in both places would be even better
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2013, 06:08 AM

1,320 posts, read 3,701,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readyforchange14 View Post
Hello I am considering relocating from Toledo Ohio to Fort Wayne and would like some input. I will be buying a home and starting a business and so far I think Fort Wayne would be ideal. I like the smaller city with the big city feel. I read that overall it is not a really bad place to live but there are certain areas one should avoid. Can someone reassure me of those areas, zip codes etc.??? Does not have to be the best neighborhood (cannot afford to live in the absolute best area) but decent and sure not the worst(shootings, gangs, drugs). Any advice on schools?? Is Fort Wayne really boring and old fashioned as someone said? Also, is Fort Wayne a good place for single parents in their late 20's to raise a child and have a happy life? Any advice on nightlife urban or mixed?? Any advice or suggestions are greatly appreciated and anyone with experience in both places would be even better
In my opinion, the two cities have about the same feel. They are both medium sized midwest towns. If you are coming to Ft. Wayne because you are looking for something different, you may be disappointed. Having said that, Fort Wayne is a nice town. Good place to raise kids. If you are looking for big city and nightlife, you won't find it here. The SE part of the city is considered the most unsafe. Cost of living should be about like Toledo.

Old 12-17-2013, 12:23 AM

1,766 posts, read 3,604,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdcdguy View Post
In my opinion, the two cities have about the same feel. They are both medium sized midwest towns. If you are coming to Ft. Wayne because you are looking for something different, you may be disappointed. Having said that, Fort Wayne is a nice town. Good place to raise kids. If you are looking for big city and nightlife, you won't find it here. The SE part of the city is considered the most unsafe. Cost of living should be about like Toledo.
I don't think Fort Wayne and Toledo really feel the same. To me, Toledo feels larger, but more run down. It honestly reminds me of a miniature version of the big city to its North. Fort Wayne just has a quiet feel to it, but it's working on making its' downtown area more vibrant.

As far as places to avoid go, I agree that it's really just certain sections on the Southeast Side of the city. Apart from those areas, there really isn't a large section of Fort Wayne that sees a ton of crime.

Old 12-17-2013, 12:28 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,217,998 times
Look up Marcos Pizza, when I was passing through and got caught in a blizzard I stopped in Fort Wayne, found a hotel and Marcos delivered a pizza to the hotel for me on a snowmobile and the pizza was excellent.
That delivery guy got a $20.00 tip that night.

Old 12-17-2013, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdcdguy View Post
No nightlife??yeah, I keep reading bad things about the SE so I may may steer clear away from there unless there are actually good areas over there. Nope not looking for big city just kind of a big city feel I like the smaller, quiet atmosphere ( I know, Im complicated). And actually the cost of living there is a bit cheaper than Toledo so far the good is outweighing the bad!

Old 12-17-2013, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wh15395 View Post
I don't think Fort Wayne and Toledo really feel the same. To me, Toledo feels larger, but more run down. It honestly reminds me of a miniature version of the big city to its North. Fort Wayne just has a quiet feel to it, but it's working on making its' downtown area more vibrant.

As far as places to avoid go, I agree that it's really just certain sections on the Southeast Side of the city. Apart from those areas, there really isn't a large section of Fort Wayne that sees a ton of crime.
Totally agree

Old 12-17-2013, 08:39 PM

271 posts, read 458,492 times
Indianapolis would be better if you want to open a business, Indy is much bigger than Ft. Wayne but you can live in one of Indy's suburb's some of them have a small city feel to it, you'll get the best of both worlds

Old 12-17-2013, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy771 View Post
Indianapolis would be better if you want to open a business, Indy is much bigger than Ft. Wayne but you can live in one of Indy's suburb's some of them have a small city feel to it, you'll get the best of both worlds
yeah I meant to say I like a nice size place with a small city feel totally messed up the post . Moved to Toledo from an even smaller city in Ohio and I am having a hard time adjusting to the population here so there's NO WAY I could live in Indy.

Old 12-17-2013, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy771 View Post
Also more opportunity there will mean more competition

Old 12-18-2013, 03:33 AM

271 posts, read 458,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readyforchange14 View Post
Also more opportunity there will mean more competition
But Indy has a bigger market, well it all depends on what kind of business you will open.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Fort Wayne