U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Fort Wayne
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 05:09 AM

1,320 posts, read 3,341,290 times

Advertisements

We may be transfered to Fort Wayne soon, and would like some additional info. Compared to Rochester, NY, what is the cost of living like? What about taxes. They MUST be lower than NY. How far a drive to Chicago?

What are some of the better areas to live? We would rent for awhile first, and could afford maybe 8-900 for a 3 bdroom apt. Will this get us a good place? Do most flights from your airport go to Chicago or Detroit? Do you use it, or drive to a bigger airport?

Any other general info like malls, what chains (Super Walmart ect.) food places, and anything else you can think of. Also I noticed Fort Wayne grew by 8% in the latest census. Seem alot for the Midwest. Why are people moving here? I am hoping this is a good place to raise a family.Thanks for the help.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2006, 03:02 PM

Bump.. Can anyone give me more on what it is like to live in Fort Wayne??

Old 10-03-2006, 03:00 PM

64 posts, read 275,471 times
Talking Much Info For You

Cdguy, this is your lucky day. COST OF LIVING...very cheap! You can get a nice sized home, anywhere from 2500-3500 square feet.. from $110,000-180,000. If you can't afford that, we have many homes that are not as big but okay. We got our house for $28,000, with 2,400 square feet. Most areas of the city are safe. I live in a low income neighborhood. We have never had any break in's or violence on our block. Many nice areas, just depends where your job is and what school district you want your kid's in. Speaking of SCHOOLS, I suggest to stay on the north end of Fort Wayne so your children could go to Northwest Allen County Schools. Out of our 4 disticts, they are the best. $800-900.00 to spend on an apartment here will get you a townhouse! Not kidding. If you have that much, you could rent a home, condo, or a NICE apartment. I think you will like the many choices.

TAXES... they are reasonable for some, high for others. We pay $300.00 a year. But of course, the more expensive the home, the higher the taxes, and areas of course. You could try to look under city of Fort Wayne on the internet and that will take you to all kinds of info on the city.

TRAVEL... yes, we have daily flights to the windy city. You take 30 West all the way and it gets you there in about 3.5 hours or so. Depends on how much you get lost lol . Same for Detriot. I have flown out of our airport once and liked it. However, if you want to fly out of Fort Wayne, you will pay at least $250-350.00 more than flying from Indianapolis, which by the way, is only 1.5-2 hours away. If you are lucky, you can get a big plane from here with maybe one stop on the same plane, but most of the planes are smaller and have to fly to their main hubs in bigger cities. Our airport is really nice and has daily parking, and of course, the security.
Lots of big lakes near by. And if you love amusement parks, you will be only 3.5-4.5 hours away from two of the best parks in Ohio. Cedarpoint (Sandusky, Ohio), the roller coaster capital. This park is mainly for kid's of ages 10 and up. You must be 54" or higher to get on many of the rides. They do have kid's rides and Camp Snoopy along with a water park(extra). If you do have younger children, I suggest King's Island in Cincinnati. This is a great park for the younger crowd. They have lots of rides for the young ones along with Nickalodean (not sure of the spelling) area. They also have a water park that is included with your fee.

We have the biggest mall in Indiana that I am sure you will love. It is called Glenbrook and you can find their web site on line.
We have many chains of stores here. We just got the biggest Walmart Super Store in Indiana, along with a Super Target. You name it, we have it. If you like, we also have many Goodwills around with nice second hand items.
FOOD...well, we have been labeled a fat city and that could be because we have MANY places to eat that sit on almost every corner of the city. You name it, we have it! Every culture, price, and taste. Some of these include clubs for the adult crowd. We go to a mexican place where we order only one meal because there's enough for two. The portions here tend to be big.
GAS... the highest it has went here was $3.10, but is now (as of this writing) $1.99- 2.15. If you go down to Indi, it's usually 10cents cheaper.
I hope this has helped you. People here are okay, but they seem to be very private and to themselves. WHY ARE PEOPLE MOVING HERE?... I guess the cost of living, attractions, and tech jobs. Many jobs here. If you are on the high end of job skills in technology, computers, bussin., medicine, etc., you will do well. If you are in education or lower skilled areas, better move. I have a degree in education and I must move to another state in order to work.

I am not sure if I can give you my e-mail address (rules on this site) but if you want more info let me know by posting it. Good luck!

* Best children's zoo in America and building on! Sits in a park setting for
those pic-nics.
* Great science, children's museum
* Many churches to chose from, HINT... choose wisely
* Nice art culture, not huge, but nice like the art museum, plays, and ballets
* 4 GREAT colleges, ITT Tech, Saint Francis, Indiana and Purdue University,
and IVY Tech State College
* Many parks with activities and a long city bike trail
* Best libraries!!!
* Great movie places anywhere from $.50-8.00 a show with stadium seating
* Good medical services and hospitals

BAD... we sit on three rivers. Watch that you don't live near one...could flood your home. Weather is unpredictable! Short summers. Indiana is not to good for education. Average class size is 25-32 children in one class room. Allergies tend to be bad here. We have many trees, mold, and weeds.

Amy from the Fort

Old 10-03-2006, 03:26 PM

amyfw. Thanks! This is EXACTLY the kind of info we are looking for.I will be there next week for a short visit.I checked out home prices, and could not believe how low they are in Fort Wayne. We are doing fine here as far as money is concerned, and if offered the position there, it would come with a good raise. Sweet!

Other questions....Who has the best signal as far as cell phone service? What is the name of the cable company? I am guessing I can here my XM satellite radio in Fort Wayne?

I really appreciate your help and opinions. Thanks a lot.

Old 10-03-2006, 04:14 PM

Cdguy...glad the info helped! Best cell phone service? I'd say Verizon but don't quote me on that. They have fibo if you know what that means, phone service, and cable in some areas. Cable is Comcast, which also offers phone service, and high speed internet. Both of these are nice if you like everything on one bill. Of course you have the Dish network too. I hope your visit goes well. Should be in the 60's along with fall colors. Anymore questions, just ask. Good luck! P.S. not sure about the XM satellite radio...sorry

Old 10-03-2006, 04:21 PM

Het cdguy, didn't mention this... I know this sounds weird, but if you'd like a tour guide, I'd be willing to help. Just offereing. I am not crazy or nothing. Don't want nothing from it, just being friendly. I know it's hard to trust people on the internet. Have fun on your trip.

Old 10-04-2006, 05:27 AM

amyfw. Thanks for all your help and guide offer. I will only be in town for an interview Tuesday,and I am sure my time will all be spoken for. But when I gey back to NY, I am sure I will have more questions. Thanks for being so nice.

Old 10-08-2006, 02:58 AM

95 posts, read 427,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amyfw View Post
Het cdguy, didn't mention this... I know this sounds weird, but if you'd like a tour guide, I'd be willing to help. Just offereing. I am not crazy or nothing. Don't want nothing from it, just being friendly. I know it's hard to trust people on the internet. Have fun on your trip.

Don't listen to Amy... she's just one of those crazy super nice midwest folk.

I'm playing of course.

Although I don't agree with EVERY single bit of Amy's first post, it was very informative.

Old 10-08-2006, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesinFW View Post
Don't listen to Amy... she's just one of those crazy super nice midwest folk.

I'm playing of course.

Although I don't agree with EVERY single bit of Amy's first post, it was very informative.
James...yes I said a lot of positive things, and I feel a young couple who have skills in higher skilled jobs would like it here. I could list a page just as long as negitives also but I didn't. The mayor, lack of jobs, Indiana as a whole, etc. Why do you think I plan to move out of this town and state? I was willing to show them around because I would appreciate it if someone did that for me if I moved to another state.

Old 10-08-2006, 11:09 AM

17,700 posts, read 36,838,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amyfw View Post
James...yes I said a lot of positive things, and I feel a young couple who have skills in higher skilled jobs would like it here. I could list a page just as long as negitives also but I didn't. The mayor, lack of jobs, Indiana as a whole, etc. Why do you think I plan to move out of this town and state? I was willing to show them around because I would appreciate it if someone did that for me if I moved to another state.
My former neighbor in Valparaiso moved there from Fort Wayne (Aboite Twp). She and her family have lived all over Northern Indiana and she misses Fort Wayne to this day. Fort Wayne is what it is ... a large midwestern city with very deep blue collar roots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Fort Wayne