Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Fort Wayne
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 02:56 PM

5 posts, read 16,742 times

Advertisements

Hello there, there is a very strong chance that my family will be moving to Fort Wayne from Berkeley, CA for a job and I'm wondering what are the cool/trendy/up and coming areas? I'd love to be able to wake up on a Saturday morning and walk with the family to a local diner, do some window shopping, maybe visit a park. Are there areas where people know some of their neighbors? Is it a tight knit community? Are there any liberal or progressive areas? Do areas like that exist in FW? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2014, 08:16 PM

8,981 posts, read 17,300,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceandTheRabbit View Post
Hello there, there is a very strong chance that my family will be moving to Fort Wayne from Berkeley, CA for a job and I'm wondering what are the cool/trendy/up and coming areas? I'd love to be able to wake up on a Saturday morning and walk with the family to a local diner, do some window shopping, maybe visit a park. Are there areas where people know some of their neighbors? Is it a tight knit community? Are there any liberal or progressive areas? Do areas like that exist in FW? Thanks!
Check out West Central neighborhood and the areas of the 46807 zip code. Calhoun Street between downtown and 46807 seems like a nice enough area when I've passed through. Calhoun Street Soups, Salads, and Spirits has been a nice place to stop and listen to music on the patio. There is also a fun record store (Neat Neat Neat) there if you are into that sort of thing.

I think you can make a nice life for yourself in FW, but Berkeley it is not.

Old 12-13-2014, 09:39 AM

Thanks for the responses, though I'm not sure I care for the "flaming liberal" comment. Anyone else have some suggestions on where we could live and walk to breakfast on a Saturday morning and do some window shopping? Cool areas to live and play? Does the college or university have a strip of coffee shops, bookstores or such? Many thanks!

Old 12-15-2014, 09:33 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,986,043 times
You may be in for a bit of a culture shock. Things are different here, the city is unique to Indiana. There is no real place to do Window Shopping downtown (Fort Wayne's downtown is being revitalized but will need at least 5 more years of further investment and construction). If you are planning long term to be here (over 5 years), then living downtown may be your thing as you can get property as a real investment value.

The areas described above in this thread and perhaps a handful of others downtown are decent enough already, but they are not like what you have in California or in a big city... at least not yet. In fact I would question anyone moving out here for a job from California without first visiting and getting a feel for it - the weather is different and thus entertainment options are as well.

Most of the growth of Fort Wayne is in the Southwest portion of town... it is a suburban area though for sure. I've lived in a few different neighborhoods in the southwest area and if you look at places in the 46804 zip code by Liberty Mills Rd and Coventry Parkway, there are walking trails, great parks, a massive Y, some shopping, a theatre, and some restaurants over there as well as easy access to the highway (exit 302 of highway 69). Nearby, down the road on W. Jefferson Blvd. there is a lot more shopping (and restaurants) and there's a big outdoor/trendy mall nearby called the Jefferson Pointe Shopping Center.. Jefferson Blvd is also the main corridor heading downtown as well.

Old 12-15-2014, 08:39 PM

Excellent. My husband has visited a few times but hasn't had a chance to really check out the town properly. Thank you all for your suggestions. Hope you have a lovely Christmas holiday.

Old 12-18-2014, 08:26 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,451,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McdonaldIndy View Post
Fort Wayne is one of the more conservative cities in the country.
Not really. The state is quite conservative, agreed, but there are lots of cities scattered around the state that are more conservative than FW. I was surprised the last time I was there, for a family funeral in a nearby town, to see there was an exotic dancing bar downtown on Calhoun, and it had been there for some time.

[quote] Liberals and Progressives are few and far between.[quote]

I wouldn't say that. I'd say they aren't as "up front" as they are in big cities on the coasts.

Quote:
Your best bet would probably to live in Downtown Fort Wayne or near IPFW.
What does IPFW mean?

Quote:
However i would recommend before moving here to not try and go out acting like a flaming liberal as you wont get far here doing that.
I have no idea what that would look like. Seems like a strange thing to say.

Old 12-18-2014, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Not really. The state is quite conservative, agreed, but there are lots of cities scattered around the state that are more conservative than FW. I was surprised the last time I was there, for a family funeral in a nearby town, to see there was an exotic dancing bar downtown on Calhoun, and it had been there for some time.

I wouldn't say that. I'd say they aren't as "up front" as they are in big cities on the coasts.

What does IPFW mean?

I have no idea what that would look like. Seems like a strange thing to say.
An example of FW's more conservative nature, and I hate to be the guy that uses this. In 2008 when Indiana went blue for Obama, FW was the only large Indiana city to go red for McCain. It was not even a close vote.

IPFW is Indiana University/Purdue University/Fort Wayne. Anyone in FW would know what IPFW is.

Old 12-19-2014, 05:48 PM

I assure you that liberals in San Francisco and Berkeley do not walk around waving a flaming liberal flag. They wear badges. :-) There are a lot of conservatives here too. We all get along. I hope FW is welcoming to all walks of life regardless of party or religious affiliation. We are all just people after all.

Old 12-19-2014, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceandTheRabbit View Post
I assure you that liberals in San Francisco and Berkeley do not walk around waving a flaming liberal flag. They wear badges. :-) There are a lot of conservatives here too. We all get along. I hope FW is welcoming to all walks of life regardless of party or religious affiliation. We are all just people after all.
I am happy to report that in all my travels, I was never not once asked to show my voter registration.

Old 12-22-2014, 01:23 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,451,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
IPFW is Indiana University/Purdue University/Fort Wayne. Anyone in FW would know what IPFW is.
But the OP is not in Fort Wayne, and wouldn't know what that meant. That was my point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McdonaldIndy View Post
Liberals and Progressives are few and far between.

Take a trip to San Francisco or the University of Berkeley.
I have, more than once. I still have no idea what you're talking about, and don't know what you think is a problem. Don't expect others to understand what you mean if you can't explain it clearly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Fort Wayne