Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Fort Wayne
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2015, 06:02 AM

1 posts, read 4,457 times

Advertisements

We are looking to move to a small town within an hour from Fort Wayne, Indiana or within an hour of Anderson, Indiana area. I have job opportunities in both places and would like to see which would be the better option. Our family would love to move to a farming area simply because we don't want anything too crowded, just a small home with a few acres. If possible, something within 30 minutes of a Wal-Mart or market of that sort. Safe area of course and not too prone to tornadoes (lived in a small town in arkansas with many incidents, certainly hoping not to re-live that experience). Nothing too expensive, just a safe place to raise a family

Also if anyone has any additional information such as on their city council and how many restrictions the town may have, if folks are generally friendly or if it's a gossip trap of a town, crime, gas costs, etc.

Any information at all would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Last edited by cwab; 06-07-2015 at 06:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2015, 08:16 AM

35,060 posts, read 31,278,237 times
I really don't know much about Fort Wayne, but my girlfriend lives in Anderson and I'm there several times a week.

There are a lot of options within an hour of Anderson. If you worked in Anderson, you could live back toward Indianapolis or anywhere north of Anderson really. There are plenty of rural parts of Hancock County that would fit the bill and be close to both Anderson and Indianapolis. The farther you get from Indy, the cheaper the property will get, generally.

Anderson is a town that has clearly seen better days. It was heavily dependent on auto manufacturing, but those days have since come and gone. The town has lost a lot of population, and many homes are run down and businesses have closed. The town really isn't dangerous, but most of it is an eyesore (the parts on Scatterfield near the interstate often have nicer homes) and it wouldn't be my first choice. However, even the nice property there is very, very cheap, so it is a budget friendly option.

Old 06-08-2015, 08:41 AM

625 posts, read 1,810,466 times
Honestly, Fort Wayne has much more going for it than Anderson. The only thing Anderson has going for it is its proximity to Indianapolis. Fort Wayne has everything you would want though, being the 2nd largest city in Indiana.

I think I have the perfect city for you. Here are a list of cities in order of personal preference:

1) Grabill, Indiana

Small farming community with a heavy presence of Amish. Tons of craftmanship and just a stone's throw from Fort Wayne. Still has the small town charm to it though.

2) Leo-Cedarville, Indiana

Becoming more suburban, however, still plenty of land available and close to the Fort Wayne metro area. Very safe area!

3) Huntertown, Indiana

The most suburban feeling to it. However, plenty of land available to suit your needs.

4) Roanoke, Indiana

Very small town, but has a unique charm in the downtown area.

These are all in the Fort Wayne metro area, but I would highly recommend checking these out. Let me know what you think!

Old 10-26-2015, 01:30 PM

1 posts, read 3,960 times
Berne, IN is a nice small community just 45 mins outside of downtown Fort Wayne.

Old 10-28-2015, 12:26 AM

4,503 posts, read 4,612,137 times
Daleville/Chesterfield, 2 little towns with a population of about 1,000 or so on the borderline of Delaware and Madison County, at the junction of Interstate 69 and State Roads 32 and 67. About 12 to 15 minutes to the Wal-Mart on the southside of Muncie and probably closer than that to Wal-Mart in Anderson, that is if there is a Wal-Mart in Anderson, and I'm assuming there is at least one. Daleville is about a 5 to 7 minute drive to Anderson where hwy 32 meets hwy 9. You could be 465 and 69 in less than 30 minutes from Daleville exit on 69 at 32. Both towns are safe, good schools, lots of rural areas, cheap, convenient, short easy drives to Muncie, Anderson, Fishers, and 465 in Indianapolis.

Old 06-20-2022, 10:52 AM

8,942 posts, read 20,366,150 times
This thread is fairly old, but I'll update it:

I grew up outside of Ft. Wayne, in both farming areas of Garrett and Churubusco. I went to, and graduated from, the old Huntertown High School, which is now closed. Went into Churubusco (aka "Busco") for all groceries and banking.

After joining the Navy, right before H.S. graduation, I never returned to Indiana to live. But, both farming areas I lived in were pretty nice. Thing is, I fully left the farm area in 1968, so, since then I'd suppose the area has grown quite a bit. But, I still have some high school classmates that live outside of Huntertown and Churubusco.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Fort Wayne