U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Fort Wayne
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 12:52 PM

237 posts, read 102,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianogram51 View Post
Thanks again, BB!...I should get back there one of these days and eyeball the areas! I've seen a few places listed now and then near the river, and that sounds kind of nice...wonder what the skeeters are like there, though, haha. Don't have them here, guess they don't like the coast! And utilities...I imagine heating and cooling can get up there depending on the seasons...and some with all electric...some gas and electric.

Good luck! I recommend gas for the heat source if possible (either boiler or forced air)..way cheaper than electric here.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2019, 04:58 PM

1,282 posts, read 1,545,976 times
Looked online for this complex and <30K for a 1BR doesn't seem too bad. Total monthly payment with only 2K down would still be cheaper than renting a 1BR. Water/trash/snow removal included. If the price is about the same by the summer I may look into it some more(tho comments about the neighbors kinda turn me off) but all I need is a studio. Easier to clean.

Old 03-23-2019, 03:03 PM

3,451 posts, read 1,394,425 times
I'm back in FW I moved back Nov 2018.

I'm renting an apt in a 55+ complex. GREAT neighbors, nothing like at the condo. Love it.

It's in 46805 zip. Near State and Coliseum in a quiet neighborhood. Super convenient location.

pianogram51:I am looking at small houses for my daughter, will give her 20% down and I can tell you there are plenty under 100K, just stay away from SE section and you'll be good.

Her BF just bought his first house for 115K; ranch, built in the 70s, renovated /updated, 46805 zip, kinda near PFW.

You should rent for 6mos and then buy, get a feel for the neighborhoods.

Last edited by VexedAndSolitary; 03-23-2019 at 03:14 PM..

Old 03-23-2019, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
Looked online for this complex and <30K for a 1BR doesn't seem too bad. Total monthly payment with only 2K down would still be cheaper than renting a 1BR. Water/trash/snow removal included. If the price is about the same by the summer I may look into it some more(tho comments about the neighbors kinda turn me off) but all I need is a studio. Easier to clean.
Trust me it sucks there.

Read my posts on it; it was to be my retirement empty nest place. Iwas so excited about it. I stayed 2 years before the trashy neighbors became unbearable. There's reasons why it is so cheap. I am glad I was able to sell at a profit.

Corridors reeking of pot, drugs being sold openly out of first floor windows, garbage tossed in parking lots, HUGE/multiple dogs even though bylaws state "1 apartment sized dog allowed" (apartment size being an ambiguous term evidently), overall a vibe like a housing project due solely to the residents many of whom are renters. However, I had a HORRID across the hall neighbor who owned his unit who had police at his door many many times for domestic disturbances/drunken rages. Many complaints to the HOA NOTHING done except fining him ($25 per offense. Big deal, like he cared! He never paid fines and was in arrears for his dues as were quite a few others; NOTHING WAS EVER DONE).

There were moe like him than not; I'd put the figures at 60% riffraff 40% decent normal citizens. In my building there were four units that were owned by relatives of the resident; they bought these dirt cheap units so their mentally ill relatives would have somewhere to live. I am NOT joking.

Two were severe alcoholics, stumbling/rambling/fell asleep with pot on stove and FD was called, type alcoholics. One was borderline retarded, this guy (late 30s, single, no car, harmless and childlike) was lonely so would have crackhead/meth heads up in his place for company (you'd see them sitting smoking on his balcony, obvious street trash, different ones every week or so), one was a lady in her late 60s who let her son in his 40s, jailbird, drug addict, alkie, dressed like a gang member but was just a wannabee, live in her unit when he was not in jail, and she'd go stay at her sister's when he was there. This guy abused his dogs, cursed a blue streak loudly in corridor/parking lot, had shady visitors, smoked in hallway (against rules), urinated in elevator. I have stories galore about him; he was down my hall.

I was told by a HOA board member, verbatim: " what do you expect for 20K?" (what I paid for my place).

They're on yet another prop mgmt co; they keep quitting because they cannot deal with the difficulty of trying to manage such a place. They went through two in the two years I was there, now a gal I keep in touch with who still lives there tells me they are on a third as of this past Jan.

The main sewage pipes are original and frequently back up into the first two floors; there are bats/mice in the roof/ceiling ( I was on top floor and often heard them scuttling above). I could go on and on....PM me if you want unit numbers of the troublemakers I know of, not to mention the many of which I've heard of from others.

Last edited by VexedAndSolitary; 03-23-2019 at 03:45 PM..

Old 03-23-2019, 07:08 PM

1,282 posts, read 1,545,976 times
On 2nd thought Vex, I think I'll pass on this building lol. Not much better than one of the trailer parks.

Old 03-24-2019, 07:14 AM

Are these the same condos as Centlivre? When I google Park Place condos, Centlivre comes up as the location.

Old 03-24-2019, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
On 2nd thought Vex, I think I'll pass on this building lol. Not much better than one of the trailer parks.
It honestly was like a low rent trailer park! Oddly, plenty of southern redneck accents, the only place here in FW I've heard them. The sad part is my unit was DARLING and I loved it!

I was horrified when I discovered what I'd done; I'd bought sight unseen from another state.
Had I visited the joint the smell in the corridors (pot and regular smoke; many there were smokers) would've given me a clue

There are nice small houses for cheap (under 100K) and nice rentals too, galore.

Old 03-24-2019, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyBear1234 View Post
Are these the same condos as Centlivre? When I google Park Place condos, Centlivre comes up as the location.
No, they used to be called "Park Place at Centlivre" and I think the bylaws state so but the sign just says Park Place.

They are two buildings hidden kinda behind the newly reno'd Centlivre apartments (5 buildings) which are NOT condos, they are a regular apartment house (rental units). They are kinda pricey (for FW), around $800 for a 1br. Do NOT confuse the two. Totally unconnected.

Old 03-24-2019, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VexedAndSolitary View Post
No, they used to be called "Park Place at Centlivre" and I think the bylaws state so but the sign just says Park Place.

They are two buildings hidden kinda behind the newly reno'd Centlivre apartments (5 buildings) which are NOT condos, they are a regular apartment house (rental units). They are kinda pricey (for FW), around $800 for a 1br. Do NOT confuse the two. Totally unconnected.

oh ok, thanks for clearing that up for me!...I'd always wondered what was going on with those buildings.

Aren't some vacant as well?

Old 03-24-2019, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyBear1234 View Post
oh ok, thanks for clearing that up for me!...I'd always wondered what was going on with those buildings.

Aren't some vacant as well?
Last I saw (sold my place in June 2018) two of the five buildings were completed and looked to be mostly occupied. Kinda fancy, geared towards millenials. They look p nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Fort Wayne