U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Fort Wayne
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 11:13 AM

3,451 posts, read 1,394,425 times

Advertisements

Hi guys, I am considering these two condos:

2927 Westbrook Dr Apt 422, Fort Wayne, IN 46805 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

2937 Westbrook Dr Apt A402, Fort Wayne, IN 46805 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

I've been searching since last MARCH for a tiny place I can afford, (30K max so it's been hard) I found a darling house in Kokomo and my offer was rejected, then the house was immediately delisted. I have now turned my attention to Ft Wayne, and these two condos SEEM lovely, but any input fron those with "boots on the ground" is really appreciated!

The condos seem to be next to a huge abandoned/empty apt complecx called "Cantlivre".

The realtor had no good answers when I asked about that place, as far as is it condemned, is it being revitalized, is it full of squatters and crackheads?
I posed same q's to the prop mgr of Park Place, and got no good answers, just "I have no idea".

Thanks in advance for any replies!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2016, 12:25 PM

4,578 posts, read 5,206,417 times
The area isn't bad. It's close to downtown. Also right by Glenbrook Square for shopping. There are some warehouses and factories behind the complex on Wells St like the Edy's ice cream plant. And also the juvenile detention center is there. But Frank Park is on the other side of those and it is a very nice park with a beautiful zoo. The rail line that used to run behind this complex is in the process of being, or has plans to be, converted into a multi-use trail that would connect to the Greenway trail system downtown.

About Centlivre Village. Park Place used to be a part of it but was sectioned off in the 80s I believe. I really have no idea where Centlivre Village stands. There have been different owners over the years. There have been renovation plans. There have been rallies to try to save it because it is historic. As far as I know, everything keeps falling through. Most recently, a year ago a developer announced plans to completely rehab it. I can't find any information after that announcement. But I'm seeing the property listed as for sale on commercial real estate sites so I'm guessing the rehab plans once again fell through. I don't know if anything bad goes on there. It's not condemned. It's just vacant and apparently for sale as of now. Could be why nobody else knows exactly what is going on with it, too. My only fear with Park Place would be that it is surrounded by Centlivre. And who knows what could happen with Centlivre in the future.

Old 01-25-2016, 02:09 PM

Thanks very much, that is exactly the sort of data I was looking for
I was just afraid being it is empty, that drug pushers/other criminals may set up shop in the empty units?

Hm. Sounds like if it DID get purchased and rehabbed it could help raise prop value if the developers made it into nice units, but what if it gets made into low income units
I am low income myself but am not of the criminal persuasion and don't want to live next to Sec 8 types if I can help it.

I wonder why it became empty...that is kind of unusual, for a complex that big to just be abandoned. I know decrepit housing projects are sometimes razed when they are uninhabitable but that place doesn't LOOK like that is what it was...plus it is still standing...I'm going to see if I can dig up any info on its history as to why.
Maybe someone who knows will pop in here.

Last edited by VexedAndSolitary; 01-25-2016 at 02:18 PM..

Old 01-25-2016, 03:42 PM

4,578 posts, read 5,206,417 times
The developer a year ago wanted to make it into luxury apartments. Make each unit bigger, upgraded amenities, with the possibility of converting it all to condos in the future. Not sure why it never happened. The owner in 2006 began some renovation but then the recession hit, I think they couldn't get money and couldn't find enough tenants. I think I read it was down to just 20 tenants out of 455 units in 2014. I'm not sure why they lost tenants over the years unless it had poor management at some point and it got into a state of disrepair. I don't know.

If it is fixed up into luxury apartments, it could definitely improve home values around there. Until then, though, it's an eyesore and just something to drag down property values and scare potential buyers away. The fact that there seem to be people that want to renovate it if they can get the money is encouraging, though.

Old 01-25-2016, 04:43 PM

I found a news vid from last year talking about the Centlivre, it said it was uninhabitable therefore that's why tenants were removed, and the newsclip was all positive re: this developer "in California" with big ideas, but what happened? I can't find anything more recent.

So the q is would it be stupid to buy next to that great unknown entity; it COULD become fancy schmancy units and then the Park Place values go up by being next door, or it could become low income units and PPlace values drop also maybe become dangerous.
I guess buying at PPlace is a gamble. I wish I had insider info on what's going to happen with that complex.

Old 01-28-2016, 09:01 AM

*bump*

Anyone else? Am about to make the offer.
RE agents are not permitted to say a lot of things about neighborhoods, someone help a poor widowed lady out

Old 02-11-2016, 01:07 PM

8 posts, read 10,580 times
I would stay away from Park Place apartments. Not good area.

Old 02-11-2016, 01:08 PM

8 posts, read 10,580 times
not a good investment or place to live.

Old 05-05-2016, 10:50 AM

2 posts, read 3,431 times
I would echo ischyros. The people who developed the Anthony Wayne building downtown Fort Wayne have purchased the property for rehabilitation. We are looking at a condo there for the in-laws. I'm sure I am too late, but wanted to give my two cents just in case ;-)

Old 06-17-2016, 08:59 AM

I arrived JUNE 4 and LOVE love love both my condo and the city.
The party who warned me away saying this was a bad area must have never been in a true ghetto or bad area.
It is lovely here. I can walk to downtown. Neighbors are normal respectable folk, most are older like me.

Thank God. I was so miserable in NC. Southern culture was killing me, the sloooow speech...the intrusive nosiness masked as "friendliness"...the ubiquitous small talk, so stupid...Gawd I am happy to be back in the North!

I need to find a good church and a good handyman. Will create a thread on that.

Last edited by VexedAndSolitary; 06-17-2016 at 09:19 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Fort Wayne