U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Fort Wayne
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2017, 11:51 PM

4 posts, read 9,671 times

Advertisements

Hi gang,

Interested in selling home and moving back to my home town in about 6-7 months from Atlanta where I've been hiding out for 50+ years.

I'm an old man - over 65 years old. Not married; wife has passed. No children. Not interested in "dating" at my age.

Looks like home prices for what I'm looking for are a little (lot) less than here in Metro Atlanta?? All I'm after is a SMALL lot with 1 bath and 2 bedrooms with a garage (about 1000 SQ FT) to pursue my hobby in organ restoration.

Not looking for apartment or condo as I play organ and it can get LOUD sometimes!

Looking for a safe spot (like, who isn't, right?) where I can purchase once my property here is sold (about 4 acres and 4,400 SQ FT of living area).

A full-gospel Church close by would be nice too..... but from one side of Fort Wayne to the other would probably be quicker than from one side of Atlanta to the other, I think.

News Junkie - need that CNN and internet access.... I guess that's good anywhere?....

Being a type 2 diabetic, I like to walk 5-6 miles a day to keep in under control..... a nice SAFE park to walk to daily would be nice when there isn't snow on the ground..... maybe access to buses to get around in? Haven't ridden a bus in 30+ years!!....

Any old-timers in here (like me)? What would you recommend? I was born in Fort 66 years ago;

Thanks for the read,
Mark
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2017, 09:05 PM

1,320 posts, read 3,341,290 times
I can answer a few of your questions having lived here for 10 years now. The price of real estate is here is currently rising. As of a couple of months ago we were the 9th hottest real estate market in America. Houses sell fast here now. HOWEVER, prices will still be much lower than Atlanta. If at first all you need is a 1000 SQ Ft house, THAT can be purchased in a safe neighborhood for 75- 100 k range. It might cost more with a large lot and you may need to be just outside Ft. Wayne if you are loudly playing the organ.

Internet access is no issue here at all. The bus system is not that great, but might meet your basic needs.Fort Wayne has many nice safe parks. I can't really answer your church questions, but one of our nicknames in "city of churches". There are many.

Medical care is excellent here. Parkview Health is now one of the biggest employers in town. And there are other good hospitals too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveoldtrux View Post
Hi gang,

Interested in selling home and moving back to my home town in about 6-7 months from Atlanta where I've been hiding out for 50+ years.

I'm an old man - over 65 years old. Not married; wife has passed. No children. Not interested in "dating" at my age.

Looks like home prices for what I'm looking for are a little (lot) less than here in Metro Atlanta?? All I'm after is a SMALL lot with 1 bath and 2 bedrooms with a garage (about 1000 SQ FT) to pursue my hobby in organ restoration.

Not looking for apartment or condo as I play organ and it can get LOUD sometimes!

Looking for a safe spot (like, who isn't, right?) where I can purchase once my property here is sold (about 4 acres and 4,400 SQ FT of living area).

A full-gospel Church close by would be nice too..... but from one side of Fort Wayne to the other would probably be quicker than from one side of Atlanta to the other, I think.

News Junkie - need that CNN and internet access.... I guess that's good anywhere?....

Being a type 2 diabetic, I like to walk 5-6 miles a day to keep in under control..... a nice SAFE park to walk to daily would be nice when there isn't snow on the ground..... maybe access to buses to get around in? Haven't ridden a bus in 30+ years!!....

Any old-timers in here (like me)? What would you recommend? I was born in Fort 66 years ago;

Thanks for the read,
Mark

Old 05-14-2017, 08:35 AM

5 posts, read 9,590 times
Hi there!

What is your budget? Do you want a basement?

You can check out zillow.com to see what properties are available. Avoid the southeast areas (46806) and downtown (46802).

Houses do sell quickly here as the other poster said. What you want to do is get a realtor to help you find the exact property that fits your needs and preferences. My realtor was Andrea Patterson and she was phenomenal..very efficient, organized, kind and honest. I highly recommend her!

If you are able to pay the full price of the house (should be $75,000-$100,000 like the other poster said), then you will be very appealing to sellers. If this isn't realistic, then get a pre approval letter from whichever bank you choose as your mortgage lender. This makes it much easier to negotiate. I also recommend hiring an inspector to look at your house before you agree to buy it even if you choose to buy a brand new home (Quality Home Inspection is good. The inspector is Tracy Ramsay).

You definitely need to have access to a car. The public transportation isn't great and some of the people on the bus can be a bit shady. If you don't drive, then you could use Uber or Lyft. There are tons of churches all around, so it shouldn't be difficult to find one that suits you. There is a non-denominational church called "The Pointe" along Bass Road that is quite popular.

Good luck in your search!

Old 05-18-2017, 03:38 AM

4 posts, read 9,671 times
Hi Rosalie25,

Found some cute homes on Zillow - that's why I posted on this site :-). Unfortunately, grandma's house on Walnut Ave is not for sale.

I don't really "need" a basement.... being a single old toot, 800 SQ FT or so is all I need. Would much rather have a 2nd floor than a basement - Grammies house had a 2nd floor. I notice a lot of homes seem to have the furnace in the basement. I still remember grandpa in the 50's ordering coal and he'd open a window to the basement and the delivery guy would just dump it right in there. Here in the south, we use propane a lot.

Budget is going to be under $50,000.00 as I want to pay cash up front for the home. I guess looking at Zillow, a lot of the homes I see that are cute are IN the south part of Fort Wayne - that's the part of town I need to stay away from, right? I'm not to keen on the neighbors waking me with boom boxes at 2 AM - know what I mean? Sirens and the "sounds of life" are okay.

I would be bringing my '96 Jeep Cherokee with me - a garage would be nice for it and my hobby of restoring organs.....

Old 07-26-2017, 03:54 PM

3,531 posts, read 2,210,454 times
I'm trying to get information for my friend and Huntington has homes around 50k. I asked for advice yesterday and it's allegedly safe but boring. However, seems like a lot of senior activities from what I've seen.
I would really advise you to seriously consider if a red state like Indiana is the best place to retire especially if you are alone.
The reason I say this is bc there is no help for elderly people who are too "rich" for help and too poor to pay anyone. My grandma was in that valley and I had to care for her and it really took my career off track. However, if she was living in a state like Michigan she would have been entitled to a lot of help. The end of her life wasn't easy.
I know you're only 65 and hopefully have many healthy years ahead but you don't want to be stuck in a state that isn't helpful. I would think about Michigan or Ohio. I'm familiar with southwest Michigan and you can get good deals there. I understand it's your hometown but it might not be the best place to be alone and elderly.
Good luck.

Old 09-17-2017, 11:14 PM

377 posts, read 327,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveoldtrux View Post
Hi Rosalie25,

Found some cute homes on Zillow - that's why I posted on this site :-). Unfortunately, grandma's house on Walnut Ave is not for sale.

I don't really "need" a basement.... being a single old toot, 800 SQ FT or so is all I need. Would much rather have a 2nd floor than a basement - Grammies house had a 2nd floor. I notice a lot of homes seem to have the furnace in the basement. I still remember grandpa in the 50's ordering coal and he'd open a window to the basement and the delivery guy would just dump it right in there. Here in the south, we use propane a lot.

Budget is going to be under $50,000.00 as I want to pay cash up front for the home. I guess looking at Zillow, a lot of the homes I see that are cute are IN the south part of Fort Wayne - that's the part of town I need to stay away from, right? I'm not to keen on the neighbors waking me with boom boxes at 2 AM - know what I mean? Sirens and the "sounds of life" are okay.

I would be bringing my '96 Jeep Cherokee with me - a garage would be nice for it and my hobby of restoring organs.....
I'm not sure if you're at all serious about this or even still following this thread, but I'm moving soon and my house would check a fair few of your boxes or at least get close... The biggest problem would be the price, but you may want to hear me out...

The good:
-46845 zip code, which is the most expensive/affluent in Fort Wayne, which comes with the lowest crime and all of that jazz too (violent crime and property crime are virtually unheard of)
-2 miles from 2 major hospitals (Parkview North and Dupont... Parkview has an awesome park for all of your exercising needs or the very nice YMCA is about 5 miles away)
-2 miles from the interstate
-900 square feet, full finished basement (with walkout sliding door)
-3 beds, 2 full baths
-2 car detached garage
-Gravel behind/beside garage for about 10 more cars of parking (or your boat, or your junk, or whatever)
-Concrete main driveway
-Neighbors are loud, have fun with your hobbies
-NOT zoned in the city of Fort Wayne, again, do whatever you want
-Gas forced heat (on propane... costs me about $500/year to heat it. It uses less than 400 gallons a winter so I have it filled in the summer when it's cheap), central A/C. Both are 20 years old but working fine. Parts are easily available (they're Rheem units).
-Lots of newer copper plumbing. I re-did about 1/2 of the house when I moved in. Added something like 22 shut off valves where none existed before. New water heater then too. Kinetico softener.
-Cable and ethernet run to every room except the upstairs living room (has cable only). Downstairs living room has multiple ethernet drops all over the place and is wired for a home theater (an elaborate one at that, knock yourself out).
-Kitchen was remodeled in 2008 with new cabinets, range/oven, dishwasher, counter tops, sink, etc, etc. All is still in good shape.
-New main entry door in 2012 with 2 new Andersen storm doors (have both glass and screen inserts).
-Large attic fan. I'm guessing 30"+ and a couple of horsepower. Nice for spring and fall days when it's too warm to do nothing, but not hot enough for a/c.
-2 bedrooms have ceiling fans + 1 in the basement
-Gas fireplace that is the basement. I've never turned it on, but it's there.

Good/bad:
-Garage wiring was dangerously bad when I bought the house. Tore it all out, framed in a 40 circuit panel for an additional 200A service (and mounted meter base), ran most of the new wire, mounted all of the 120 boxes, then lost my job. So... 80% of the work is done (including the conduit under the driveway to run the service from the pole and pounding the ground rods in, both were a monster hassle), but needs finished up. Everything is to code, all the way down to the nail guards.
-Privacy fence around 3/4 of the back yard. A lot of the panels need replaced, but most of the posts are fine. Tore out the 1/4 of it when I put the gravel in and never got back to the project (again, lost job... the "garage"/gravel/man stuff project all got derailed).
-1/2 acre lot, not too big or small... Bad news is it's on a hill in the backyard so mowing is a bit of a chore. I'd recommend a rider.

The bad:
The house is in need of several repairs of poorly done work that was hidden from me when I bought it.

-It will pretty immediately need a new well (which is like 5 grand... just the way it is)
-The garage needs a roof (which I'm hoping the insurance company will cover, but who knows?)
-The house needs a slight bit of roof work too, but should be more of a repair than replace
-The retention walls for the walkout need replaced (or at least sections of them do) and the walk out door itself needs reframed and probably replaced.
-Needs plenty of drywall and paint work. Lots of it was done by amateurs and has cracked and flatly needs just torn out and done right. No question at all that the entire house needs painted. What the previous owners used comes off like chalk. You can't even wipe the walls down.
-ALL of the flooring is garbage, including the subfloors upstairs. The plywood is sagging between the joists in places. Joists themselves are fine.
-Windows are trash, but are Pellas. You might be able to repair them with some effort, but I would assume replacement. The house only has 5 widows and 2 4 panel banks on the front, so it's not a HUGE deal to replace them. They're casement windows that just don't operate properly anymore.
-Both bathrooms could use renovation. They both are working fine, but the workmanship isn't so great and the fixtures and such are old.
-Price: Pretty firm at $65k right now... I paid $100k in 2008.

If you have the skills and the time you could make this place anything you wanted and I assure you it's WAY better than any $50k hole on the south side of town (that no one would be this honest with you about when selling). My honest belief is that at $65k you could put $20k into it and have $120k house at the end of it. I'm moving for work in a few weeks so that's out of the question for me (plus I paid $100k... I can't afford to put another $20k into it, plus the time, to break even... I'm going to have to just eat the "investment" and move on). Anyhow, hopefully you don't mistake my honesty for trying to describe the place as total junk. It was just owned by idiots for about 20 years that didn't do a single thing right and I'm the guy that owned it when the chickens finally came home to roost. I'm sitting in it right this second and I'm confident that it would be a sound house for someone for the next several years while repairs and renovations where taking place. Then it would be good to go for decades.

If you're at all serious, or if anyone else happens by and is, let me know. I'm hoping to be completely out of it and have it on the market by early December. I REALLY don't want to sell it to a flipper, because those are the jerks I bought it from that covered up all of the things wrong with it, and would much rather pass it on to an individual who wants a nice little house with some of their sweat put into it instead of cash. You won't find much in this zip code that even tickles my asking price, and if you do it's going to be a foreclosure with only God knows how much stuff wrong (mold+water damage, plumbing/wiring theft, etc).

Old 10-22-2017, 11:44 AM

3 posts, read 5,035 times
Hello! As someone already mentioned Fort Wayne is growing quickly, and houses are selling very fast. Having said that, it’s still very affordable (in my opinion). We moved here from Colorado two years ago where the housing market exploded and it became financially unlivable. I’m happy to help you find a place if you need it, I’m certain we can find something that fits your budget and all of your needs!

Old 04-21-2018, 02:25 PM

32 posts, read 18,010 times
This is for HelloB. I read with great interest your post, where your recommend Michigan or Ohio. I'm wanting to retire also soon, and really like Indiana. It is good farm country (I want horses), people are friendly, and according to the weather data I've studied, seems to have a moderate climate compared to some other states. I'm glad you talked about elderly getting help IF they needed it, because for many states, I think that's a huge factor.
Do you have any recommendations of towns in either state? I want a small town (I love quaint and charming) but within an hours drive to airports or Amtrak. I don't care about snow, I've dealt with that 2/3 of my life. The one thing I DO worry about in the Midwest is tornados. The weather stats have some states and areas at "Very High" risk and others at "Moderate." I don't think I could handle Oklahoma, that always come up as Very High Risk. Would love to hear more about MI and OH.
Thank you!

Old 05-01-2018, 05:11 PM

39 posts, read 63,107 times
Trying to keep this thread alive because I'm in a very similar position as Kelley55 and the OP.

The only difference is I'd like to have a social life in my new location and don't want to resettle in an area that is predominantly drug/alcohol culture, which many small towns are nowadays.

I thought Ft. Wayne might be a good destination because of its varied social/cultural opportunities, but it sounds like real estate there might be escaping my price range ($75K). I'm slightly familiar with southern MI and can't seem to come up with any good prospects there.

Snow is not a problem. I'd much sooner shovel that than mow lawn.

Looking forward to all input. Thanks.

Old 05-01-2018, 06:39 PM

377 posts, read 327,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchToast View Post
Trying to keep this thread alive because I'm in a very similar position as Kelley55 and the OP.

The only difference is I'd like to have a social life in my new location and don't want to resettle in an area that is predominantly drug/alcohol culture, which many small towns are nowadays.

I thought Ft. Wayne might be a good destination because of its varied social/cultural opportunities, but it sounds like real estate there might be escaping my price range ($75K). I'm slightly familiar with southern MI and can't seem to come up with any good prospects there.

Snow is not a problem. I'd much sooner shovel that than mow lawn.

Looking forward to all input. Thanks.
I'm listing the house I spoke of previously in 2 weeks (it took me an eternity to move and now I've got cleaning people in). $65k cash would take it. You're not going to do much better in Fort Wayne, never mind 46845. All of the good and bad about it still exist

So... There ya go. A house in your budget and in the second most wealthy zip code in Allen county. If you're serious and save me the realtor's fees, I can show it the weekend of 5/12.

If you're just kicking tires and seeking opinions, $75k isn't much money for a house pretty much anywhere and right now the market is up all over. I personally wouldn't buy anything in an area of Fort Wayne near your budget right now. The cheapest house on realtor.com in 46845 is $89,900 and the next up is $140k. I grew up in 46835, which has been declining for some years but is still decent enough IMO, and the cheapest house there is $80k with the last house on the bottom of the first page (in low-to-high) order being $154k.

Even down in 46808-46805, which isn't quite the hood but working really hard at it (IMO), the houses are over $90k by the end of the first page. You've got to get to the straight bad parts of town before $75k buys much and then you have to ask yourself what you're really buying other than the house...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Fort Wayne