U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Fort Wayne
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2017, 01:20 AM

3,531 posts, read 2,210,454 times

Advertisements

My friend has a wah job earning about 40k. She was looking at the most affordable areas in the country and came across Huntington. We see a few decent homes under 60k so she could pay cash.
Is there a catch? The crime data doesn't seem bad and I'm assuming it's not a super exciting place but otherwise, it seems like a place where you could actually save money on a small salary and move somewhere else in 20 years.
Any info? I'm from NWI and have never heard of the place.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2017, 01:45 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,856,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
My friend has a wah job earning about 40k. She was looking at the most affordable areas in the country and came across Huntington. We see a few decent homes under 60k so she could pay cash.
Is there a catch? The crime data doesn't seem bad and I'm assuming it's not a super exciting place but otherwise, it seems like a place where you could actually save money on a small salary and move somewhere else in 20 years.
Any info? I'm from NWI and have never heard of the place.
It's a nice little town not too far from Ft. Wayne. I'm sure it's just as safe as any town in the Midwest that has less than 20,000 people living there. For entertainment, you'll be less than 30 minutes to Ft. Wayne. The only draw back to living in Huntington that I can see, is its ultra conservative. According to the link I posted below, its the 9th most conservative city in Indiana. Dan Quayle is from Huntington. If your'e too young to recognize his name, he was Vice President under George H.W. Bush from 1988 to 1992. His claim to fame other than VP is he's no John Kennedy and he doesn't know how to spell the word potato. But if you're not a political type person, it won't matter if Huntington is conservative. You shouldnt have any problems living there, other than boredom, but that's a problem that only you can remedy. Good luck whatever you decide to do. Listen to your gut. It won't do you wrong.

https://www.roadsnacks.net/most-cons...es-in-indiana/

Last edited by Ivory Lee Spurlock; 07-26-2017 at 01:55 AM..

Old 07-26-2017, 06:56 AM

3,531 posts, read 2,210,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
It's a nice little town not too far from Ft. Wayne. I'm sure it's just as safe as any town in the Midwest that has less than 20,000 people living there. For entertainment, you'll be less than 30 minutes to Ft. Wayne. The only draw back to living in Huntington that I can see, is its ultra conservative. According to the link I posted below, its the 9th most conservative city in Indiana. Dan Quayle is from Huntington. If your'e too young to recognize his name, he was Vice President under George H.W. Bush from 1988 to 1992. His claim to fame other than VP is he's no John Kennedy and he doesn't know how to spell the word potato. But if you're not a political type person, it won't matter if Huntington is conservative. You shouldnt have any problems living there, other than boredom, but that's a problem that only you can remedy. Good luck whatever you decide to do. Listen to your gut. It won't do you wrong.

https://www.roadsnacks.net/most-cons...es-in-indiana/
It's not for me but the link you provided was confusing bc it said Lake Station was both the most liberal and conservative city. That's in NWI and kind of trashy.
I wonder home much 10-15% difference means on the list bc some towns near my hometown (like Highland) in NWI score in the 50s and I wouldn't call them conservative. They aren't screaming liberal but they don't have any political/major religious feel to me. You definitely can't find a non ghetto home for this price in NWI.
Thanks for the info!
https://www.trulia.com/property/3023...ngton-IN-46750

Old 07-31-2017, 09:47 AM

4,578 posts, read 5,207,412 times
Huntington is a perfectly safe and nice city. It has a twin-screen drive-in theater. The sunken gardens are gorgeous. There are a lot of outdoor recreational activities nearby at Roush Lake and Little Turtle State Recreation Area. It's quick trip up to Fort Wayne. For example, you can get from downtown Huntington to Jefferson Pointe (a pretty major shopping area in southwest Fort Wayne) in about 30 minutes.

Old 09-27-2018, 10:42 PM

878 posts, read 577,658 times
Huntington is a nice sized town. Big enough that you have all the basic necessities of living in a small area. It's an easy drive to Ft Wayne or 1 1/2 - 2 hrs to Indy for bigger city culture, entertainment, hospitals, shopping.

Also it's close to state recreation areas with hiking and mountain biking trails, water sports.

Old 11-29-2018, 12:12 PM

1 posts, read 965 times
I recently just purchased two properties to rehab and should be done in the next couple of weeks. I like the area with a small college and great area to raise a family.

Old 02-25-2019, 10:19 AM

380 posts, read 189,373 times
Huntington is safe. I lived in nearby Columbia City and Fort Wayne for 33 years and I've been to Huntington many times. It's safe there and there are many affordable homes to be found. It's a great area. Move there and you wont regret it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Fort Wayne