Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Fort Wayne
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2017, 03:05 PM

106 posts, read 129,580 times

Advertisements

I don't understand it. I have been in/seen/lived close to neighborhoods that are much worse than this. I wouldn't consider it the ghetto of Fort Wayne, either. Blue-collar and diverse, yes, but not ghetto or bad. Yes, more crime happens there, but it's usually people that know one another and have a vendetta or domestic situations. North Tulsa, on the other hand, is real scary because feelings still run high (not from me personally, but from lots of other people) about the Race Riot of 1921 there. My boyfriend is very jumpy about driving in that area and he has lived in FW all his life. But I'm not jumpy because I have seen worse...and (as a white woman) I can walk down the sidewalk to pick up my son from school and I don't feel afraid. So I think the people who get all worked up about that area of town have never lived in bigger cities with *truly* rough areas. Thanks for letting me have my say. *peace out* PS - It pisses me off how people refer to areas with a heavy African-American/black population as "rough" areas, i.e., such as my boyfriend does. Irony that he's from the North/Midwest (Fort Wayne) and I'm from the South (Oklahoma), and HE is the one that is the bigot, not me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2017, 04:02 PM

625 posts, read 1,810,617 times
It is considered the armpit area because it's the worst part of Fort Wayne. Yes, when comparable to other cities, it pales in comparison. But it definitely takes the cake as far as the worst area of Fort Wayne.

As for the heavy African American presence, I can agree that these areas are often labeled as the most dangerous. Partly, because they are and have heavy gang presence. However, I'm not naive to know that this is very stereotypical thinking and that racial segregation in America is more systemic than white people would like to think.

Old 10-29-2017, 07:24 AM

3,563 posts, read 1,878,724 times
LOL I feel ya OP, I was reared in Bklyn NY then lived 23 years in SoFl and folks in FW have never seen an actual BAD section of town, where graffiti, security bars on windows of stores, bulletproof glass in stores, and crackheads and dealers are seen block after block after block.

I volunteered in the section of FW of which you speak shortly after moving here last year and when I was told I was in the bad section I was flabbergasted. Folks had yard decorations, (would be immediately stolen or destroyed in a true "bad" section"), neaty mowed lawns with no garbage strewn about, NO bars on windows, NO graffiti.
It looked like a modest working class 'hood to me.

I actually love that this city is so safe that the "bad" section looks totally fine to me. I have logged many a volunteer hour in the worst sections of Miami; these folks here are naive in an endearing way as to true ghetto 'hoods.

I live just north of downtown and ADORE my location and the city in general.

Old 05-04-2018, 10:21 AM

5 posts, read 19,054 times
It’s the armpit of Fort Wayne. Not Tulsa or Brooklyn. I have lived in all sides of Fort Wayne. That was by far the sketchiest of them all. Still loved it and it’s not south Chicago. But it’s our armpit. It’s not bad but it’s still the worst we have here. The most neglected by our government. But no it’s still a decent part of this city because this city has a fair amount of decent people.

Old 02-25-2019, 09:33 AM

469 posts, read 466,177 times
I'm an old white guy who lived in Fort Wayne for 33 years but have lived all over the USA. The Southeast side of Fort Wayne is primarily African American and also is a very nice area to live in. There are many nice homes on the southeast side of Fort Wayne. Every sector of Fort Wayne has a few problem areas so I dont think it's fair to point out that parts of the southeast side have issues. The southeast side has McMillan Park and also has many fine restaurants and businesses. I used to work in this section of Fort Wayne and I experienced no problems whatsoever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Fort Wayne
View detailed profiles of: