U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Fort Wayne
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2018, 11:46 AM

1 posts, read 859 times

Advertisements

I feel sort of silly asking this, but does anyone have any information or insight about living in Huntington? I'm considering moving there for job purposes, but I don't know much about it. The reason I feel silly is that I know that it's a small town and so probably you could say the same about it as you do about every small town in America. But, just like every big city is different, I sort of thing every small one is, too. So any help would be appreciated!

Is it stagnant or growing (slowly) or becoming desolate, like some small towns are? You know how there are some small towns with that "Mayberry" feel to them and others where it feels like it's a ghost town and the only people left are the ones who were abandoned? I know Fort Wayne is close by, but is the town sort of self-contained or do people have to constantly drive to Fort Wayne for things? (Not like groceries, but like if they needed anything more than basic hardware, do they have to schlep over to Fort Wayne?) Are the schools decent? Major problems with crime or drugs in the area? Just looking at Google Maps it seems like there are a number of nice parks in the region, which is nice but are there other things to do or see in the area? Like national parks/forests/lakes? Or is it sort of like "once you leave the town limits it's just flat and unbroken grass"?

Anyone want to share?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2018, 08:06 AM

4,578 posts, read 5,207,412 times
I can't really answer about schools but Huntington is a nice town. There's a good university. It does have some nice parks. The sunken gardens are one of my favorite areas. In 15 minutes you can be to Roush Lake which is created by the Huntington Dam and is surrounded by the Little Turtle State Recreational Area. Or to Salamonie Lake which has several state recreational areas along it and even a state forest. A bit further away but less than an hour are Mississinewa Lake and a few state recreational areas and two state Parks, Chain O Lakes State Park and Oubache State Park (pronounced Wabash, it is the french spelling of what the Native Americans called Wabash). Yes, it is pretty flat when you leave town but it's not grass, it's corn. :-D

Huntington is pretty self-contained in that it has an active downtown with shops and restaurants. Along the highway there is a Wal-Mart, Applesbees, Big Lots, all that fun stuff. There's even a rare twin-screen drive in movie theater. And of course a regular movie theater and a bowling alley. But if you want something like Macys or Olive Garden, yes you will have to make the 25-30 minute drive to one of the malls in Fort Wayne, but you certainly don't need to constantly be driving to Fort Wayne. When you do, though, it's a nice 4-lane divided highway with a speed limit of 60 all the way. So you can be to I-69 in about 20 minutes and Jefferson Pointe, the nearest mall, is just a few minutes beyond that. I think the population has been holding pretty steady for a while. Not really growing or shrinking.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Fort Wayne