U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Fort Wayne
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2019, 12:03 PM

2 posts, read 1,592 times

Advertisements

My family is looking to move to Fort Wayne from the Chicago area for a fresh start and much lower taxes. Our property taxes have jumped over $3,000 in the past 2 years to over $14,000 now My job allows me to work from home so commute and employment won't be a concern. Schools are a high priority to us since our kids are aged 9 and 5. A safe neighborhood is important to us as well. Our budget for housing is 250k and we would prefer newer housing to older stock and a family friendly feel for the neighborhood.
Any helpful tips about life in Fort Wayne would be appreciated as well. Thanks for your time.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2019, 06:57 AM

127 posts, read 88,304 times
I've never lived in Fort Wayne, but had many friends in college that grew up there or moved there for jobs after. In general they've been impressed with schools, neighborhoods, cost, etc of ALL of Fort Wayne. They always tell me for a city its size that most of the big public high schools and their feeder schools are a great education! A couple went to parochial schools and had good experiences there too.

Honestly coming from Chicago, Indy or any other big city you will feel safe anywhere in Fort Wayne. I've always heard to avoid Pontiac Street area, but again compared with my experiences in Indy Pontiac wasn't as bad as people made it out to be for me when I was in that area. Obviously anywhere with poverty will have likelier chance of crime. Areas with 250K homes will not really have these issues in Fort Wayne.

Based on your qualifications of newer home though eliminates a fair amount of school districts. The ones that will have 250K and be newer are probably areas on the west/southwest side that feed into Homestead HS. The north side has Carroll HS that your newer neighborhoods feed into or even Leo HS area. I cannot speak on individual neighborhoods, but will ask friends who love in or near those communities some names of neighborhoods that might fit your bill.

All of those areas give you easy access to I-69 and are fairly close to the better shopping areas like Jefferson Pointe. Homestead area may have easiest access to downtown Fort Wayne. Finally 2 of the largest hospitals snd highly ranked ones are very close to those communities in Parkview to North and Lutheran to the South/Southwest.

Old 08-05-2019, 08:03 AM

4,578 posts, read 5,206,417 times
The southwest side outside I-69 is usually the go to area. Lots of good houses, Allen County Southwest Schools are outstanding, easy access to shopping, dining, downtown, and I-69. The north side has really been booming over the last few years along the Dupont Rd area. North of Dupont Rd would be Northwest Allen County schools which is another good district. South of that is Fort Wayne schools but there's really nothing wrong with them either. Depending how close to the city you want to be, just a bit up SR 3 (Lima Rd) is Huntertown which is a very nice and growing community, though you still have to come into Fort Wayne for most things. On the east side, New Haven is an underrated area. It's not the "hip" region but there's nothing bad about it. Still easy access to downtown Fort Wayne if needed but there isn't as much to do as the other sides of town. It's also a bit older and hasn't quite seen the growth of other areas. It is part of East Allen County Schools which I don't hear as much about. Outside of New Haven, it's a more rural district, but New Haven has it's own high school and everything.

Old 08-05-2019, 08:09 AM

237 posts, read 102,119 times
AS previously mentioned, North or SW FW is your best bet given your budget and desire for a newer home. Both areas are newer and have more of a suburb feel. Check out Pine Valley or Arlington Park ...very nice pools and community facilities. I'm not as familiar with the SW additions other than Sycamore Hills (pretty pricey).

Old 08-08-2019, 10:02 AM

380 posts, read 189,050 times
I lived in Fort Wayne for 33 years and I can tell you that you won't have any problems finding a nice home there with substantially lower property taxes than you are currently paying. Aboite township on the southwest side has good schools and Lutheran hospital is located right off the interstate there too. There's plenty of shopping in that area and people are very friendly. If I were to move back to Fort Wayne that's where I'd live. About the only negative thing about that area might be the water company. I preferred having city utilities in Fort Wayne but that wasn't an option when I lived in Aboite township.

The northwest quadrant of FW would be my second choice.

Old 08-08-2019, 02:32 PM

7 posts, read 11,779 times
I moved to Fort Wayne almost 2 years ago from Northwest Indiana just over the Illinois border. I asked the same questions here that you did and got many of the same answers. I settled in north FW, north of Dupont Road in Its a great area, Leo schools, close but not too close to everything and its still growing. Homes are pricey to be honest. More of a bad timing thing for me. When I first looked things looked reasonable but when I actually made the jump to move here prices were ( and still are ) skyrocketing. Taxes are reasonable.
Things I dont like about Fort Wayne
** getting used to the eastern time zone ( maybe my biggest hang up)
** getting used to the small town tv news casts
** absolutely NO good pizza
** no pro sports teams but see below

Things I like about Fort Wayne
** Very clean and low crime
** Bike paths and bike friendly town
** Headwater Park. Lots of great community events, concerts, festivals.
** Very friendly people.
** Tincaps baseball and Comets hockey are pretty cool.
** Good but not great shopping options.
** Shigs and Pit BBQ and Bakers Street Restaurants.

Overall I think Fort Wayne is a great place to live and raise a family. Just depends on what you need. Good luck !

Old 08-09-2019, 08:13 PM

1,282 posts, read 1,545,976 times
Have only been here since late March, but from what I can tell the northwest(near Dupont) and southwest(near Lutheran, towards the outskirts of town) are the two top choices for that budget, specifically outside I-69. The further away you are from downtown and SE FW, the better IMO. You'll get a bunch of shopping/food options within reasonable driving distances. As far as schools are concerned go for Southwest Allen County Schools if you're in the SW area.

Old 08-25-2019, 05:49 PM

1,621 posts, read 2,898,500 times
I visit Fort Wayne on business on a regular basis, and have lived there during a contract assignment some years ago. Friends of mine there live in the city (north side), Southwest, and New Haven. I've stayed with friends in Aboite and the city, mostly.

The one thing that really stands out to me about Fort Wayne is the stability of the city proper. It's a tiny metro for sure, but just about any amenity people need is right in town or just outside the city. Seems like a lot of young people are buying houses in the city, and there's been a lot of investment in the downtown area and north of there in recent years.

I'm amazed by the food choices, lots of ethnic choices and the meat markets are some of the best in the country.

Old 10-12-2019, 09:00 PM

3,709 posts, read 2,854,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetwilliee View Post
** absolutely NO good pizza !
Well, that's not necessarily true unless there is no Pizza King in Ft. Wayne. Pizza King serves up some of the absolutely best pizza you'll find anywhere in the world outside of Chicago, New York City, and Rome. When I was living in Muncie, Pizza King was the go-to place for good pizza. Everybody liked it. The Royal Feast with bbq sauce is the absolute best. It would be so good, it made my eyes roll back in my head. Anybody who dismisses Pizza King pizza is a food snob in my opinion. No trip to Indiana is really ever complete without stopping by a Pizza King. It's an Indiana tradition.

Old 11-13-2019, 12:03 PM

7 posts, read 11,779 times
Well, that's not necessarily true unless there is no Pizza King in Ft. Wayne. Pizza King serves up some of the absolutely best pizza you'll find anywhere in the world outside of Chicago, New York City, and Rome. When I was living in Muncie, Pizza King was the go-to place for good pizza. Everybody liked it. The Royal Feast with bbq sauce is the absolute best. It would be so good, it made my eyes roll back in my head. Anybody who dismisses Pizza King pizza is a food snob in my opinion. No trip to Indiana is really ever complete without stopping by a Pizza King. It's an Indiana tradition.

I admit I am a pizza snob having grown up on Chicago pizza. And as I was replying to a guy relocating from Chicago I was simply stating based on my experiences there are no comparable pizza places. I have tried many places here and just cant find anything that's any good in my opinion. Have not tried the Indiana tradition Pizza King. Never heard of it but I'll have to give it a try.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Fort Wayne