Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Fort Wayne
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2008, 08:45 AM

8 posts, read 31,658 times

Advertisements

My family is considering relocating to the Fort Wayne Area. I have a 7th grader and 9th grader. We are from a smaller town and are looking for a nice, safe and friendly area. We are want to live in or near schools that focus on academics, they both have a desire to learn.

Are there any schools who offer International Baccalaureate (IB) program or a lot of Advance Placement (AP) classes.

We are open to public, private, charter or magnet schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2008, 12:02 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,725,561 times
It looks like Fort Wayne Southside HS is an IB school. But I think that the Homestead school system in Aboite Twp is consistently one of the top school systems in the state overall.

Old 03-26-2008, 07:49 AM

562 posts, read 2,403,118 times
Default Schools(public) in Ft wayne

Hey HELPTAN. I have 4 children in the Southwest Allen school system. The are is called Aboite. It is the second highest rated system in Indiana, second to Carmel. My older two are in 6th and 8th grade. The entire system has Alpha, which is AP that kids test into. It is a good program but can be stressful for some kids due to the workload. The non- Alpha classes are very challenging as well. We are not in the high school , Homestead, yet but my little brother attended in the 90's and said he was better prepared for Purdue than many of his peers due to the classes available. Many courses give college credit. There is a problem due to rich children with unavailable parents, but many middle class families who want a great education for their kids live here too.The security has been cited as excelling in magazines.Other good systems are Leo and Northwest Allen, and I would say the areas are more small town. Fort Wayne public schools(I attended) are not the best, in terms of comparison. They have less funding, I believe, a friend of mine in this district is choosing magnet schools for her kindegartener. Hope this helps, best of luck!

Old 03-26-2008, 07:51 AM

Sorry my parental controls blocked the word describing the controlled substance problem at Homestead.

Old 03-26-2008, 07:58 AM

8 posts, read 31,658 times
Interesting. I read some parent remarks on greatschools.net that stated there was a huge drug problem at Carroll. Greatschools rate both Carroll and Homestead as good. I noticed Homestead was rated high in either newsweek or US News. Have you heard any comments on Carroll?

Are there any charter or magnet highschools?

So the education is good at Homestead, but the drugs are a problem?

Old 03-26-2008, 08:04 AM

I have heard that Carroll is getting closer to Homestead in all respects, I have some hubby's cousins who attended. They are country s in 4H, horses etc. so they did well. Yes I have heard expensive substances such as are too easy to get at Homestead but there is also a very strong educational program to prepare the kids starting in middle school, as well as a task force. I will send my s there but it is something to consider.

Old 03-26-2008, 08:07 AM

I am not sure about charter highschools. Lots of people choose religious schools here like Concordia Lutheran High or Bishop Dwenger Catholic as an alternative.

Old 04-12-2008, 11:54 AM

36 posts, read 130,066 times
FWCS high schools can be awesome as well. My son graduates this year from Northrop and is getting full-tuition scholarship to IU (academics). Don't disregard these schools on the basis of test scores alone. Some wonderful opportunities are available at the city schools! Please visit them and see for yourself!

Old 04-15-2008, 05:54 PM

3 posts, read 13,703 times
Check out [url=http://www.greatschools.net]GreatSchools.net[/url], you can research any school in the nation there. Stay away from the Fort Wayne Community School District, they have extremely bad test scores, but that may be due to the fact that they were testing 4 weeks after school starts, to test grade levels.

Old 06-04-2008, 07:16 AM

14 posts, read 89,320 times
If you are looking for a great program...it's Christian based.... Keystone Schools is a wonderful program. Keystone Schools - Main Page checkout the website. It's a growing program and Organic Chemistry is offered to the high schoolers. Test score are high and it has what is known as a Proficiency-Based Math and Language Arts program. Children are placed according to their abilities, not what grade they happen to be in. My son is in an Honors English class that includes 6th, 7th, and 8th graders. He is a 6th grader. It is a small program, for example, there are 12 or 13 6th graders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Fort Wayne