Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Fort Wayne
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2023, 08:01 PM

20 posts, read 19,918 times

Advertisements

I'm getting tired of where I live and I'm fixing to move. I've been eyeing Fort Wayne for a while and I wonder if that's what I'm looking for. Anyways here is what I'm looking for.

Amenities
Healthy dose of manufacturing jobs
Good selection of things to do (could be anything from a concert to an amusement park to a hockey game)
Plenty of excellent local restaurants

Outdoors
4 distinct seasons
Warm summers but rarely over-the-top hot and muggy (Ideal summer temperature range low 70s to mid 80s, would be nice to have cool and breezy nights)
Winters with plenty of snow
Nice parks
Nearby lakes

Other Things
Smooth traffic
Generally low crime
High quality water (Heard water pollution is a serious problem in Indiana, need I be worried?)
Small town feel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2023, 02:41 PM

307 posts, read 255,329 times
Hello, I'll try to address your questions as best I can in red:

Amenities
Healthy dose of manufacturing jobs - we have a ton of health jobs currently...manufacturing isn't horrible but a lot of the plants and things have closed over the past few decades.
Good selection of things to do (could be anything from a concert to an amusement park to a hockey game) - tons of things to do in the summer (baseball, parks, parades etc), not so much in the winter
Plenty of excellent local restaurants - yes, we have lots of new restaurants here

Outdoors
4 distinct seasons
Warm summers but rarely over-the-top hot and muggy (Ideal summer temperature range low 70s to mid 80s, would be nice to have cool and breezy nights) - you might be disappointed here...FW isn't nearly as muggy as Georgia but we have our fair share of humid days and nights in July and August.
Winters with plenty of snow - nope not so much anymore....this past winter was fairly mild; occasionally we'll see lots of snow but it doesn't seem to stick around long
Nice parks - lots of those
Nearby lakes - short drive north or west to lakes

Other Things
Smooth traffic - generally...I'm a life long resident though (40+ years ) and I've noticed that's it's much worse than before
Generally low crime - pretty much a low crime city (stay away from 46806)
High quality water (Heard water pollution is a serious problem in Indiana, need I be worried?) - I'm fairly certain FW has good water and has even won awards in the past
Small town feel - generally...big, little city vibes

Old 05-28-2023, 03:46 PM

10 posts, read 26,133 times
Default Since you asked...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapmatician View Post
I'm getting tired of where I live and I'm fixing to move. I've been eyeing Fort Wayne for a while and I wonder if that's what I'm looking for. Anyways here is what I'm looking for.

Amenities
Healthy dose of manufacturing jobs
Good selection of things to do (could be anything from a concert to an amusement park to a hockey game)
Plenty of excellent local restaurants

Outdoors
4 distinct seasons
Warm summers but rarely over-the-top hot and muggy (Ideal summer temperature range low 70s to mid 80s, would be nice to have cool and breezy nights)
Winters with plenty of snow
Nice parks
Nearby lakes

Other Things
Smooth traffic
Generally low crime
High quality water (Heard water pollution is a serious problem in Indiana, need I be worried?)
Small town feel
Healthy dose of manufacturing jobs?
Yes, but most will be low-paying, non-union jobs and your co-workers will be Burmese. So if you want to make $16/hour working in less than state-of-the art facilities and enjoy the smell of fish heating up in the breakrooms, Fort Wayne is for you.

Good selection of things to do?
Fort Wayne is a passable place to live during the week, but there's not a whole lot to do in this city. Sure, natives will give you a long list of places to visit, but once you go, you don't need to return. Nothing is out of the ordinary. I do enjoy going to Parkview Field downtown to watch Fort Wayne's Class A minor league baseball team in the summer, but have yet to see the local hockey team. As for concerts there are several during the year, though most major acts don't come to Fort Wayne. Of the names for this summer, most are either classic rock bands way past their prime or tribute bands. The two major amusement parks -- Cedar Point and Kings Island -- are both in Ohio and it's a three hour drive to each.

Plenty of excellent local restaurants?
The restaurant scene here in Fort Wayne is a joke, unless you like chain establishments. And when TripAdvisor rates "Fort Wayne's Famous Coney Island" the best restaurant in the city, you know it's a joke. This is why I head out-of-town most weekends. Chicago, Columbus and Cincinnati, Ohio, are my top choices.

Weather?
Yes, we have four seasons, but summers are hot and not what you're hoping for in terms of temperatures. This week (May 27-June 3, 2023), the high temperatures will range from 80 to near 90 degrees. Last Memorial Day the high was 89 with a low of 62, and the day after was 92 and 68. In June of 2022, the temps hit 90 degrees 9 times, and the hottest two days came in at 96. Generally when its that hot out, the humidity will be low, but that's not the case every time. Snow? Fort Wayne averages about 33 inches of snow each year, but the past few winters haven't come close to that. For the 2022-23 season, Fort Wayne got about 15-16 inches of snow. Most of that came on two storms -- one in January and another in February -- but most of the time your seeing dormant grass. By the way, if you want cooler summers temps and lots of snow, weekend trips to northern Michigan are your best bet. Charlevoix, Michigan is absolutely beautiful.

Nice parks?
Yep, there are a few of those. I live in SW Fort Wayne and enjoy Foster Park.

Nearby lakes?
There are a few north and northwest of the city about an hour-plus drive. Never been to any of them. I prefer a Great Lake.

Smooth traffic?
Nope. Unlike larger cities where you have freeways connecting various parts of town, Fort Wayne is nothing more than left turns and right turns on surface streets. And most people here don't know how to drive. They either don't have a driver's license or have warrants.

Generally low crime?
Nope. Chances of being a victim of a violent crime are slightly higher than the state average. Chances of being a victim of a property crime are much higher than the rest of Indiana. Compared to similar sized cities, though, the numbers are better. I've lived in Fort Wayne since 2014, and my home was broken into once, and I've had items stolen from my garage twice.

Water?
Though I have a Brita, the tap water is generally pretty good.

Small town feel?
Nope. Not even close.

Look, I moved to Fort Wayne nine years ago because of the company I work for gave me a lofty promotion, a huge pay bump, and bonuses for relocating. Was it a mistake? Well, no, because I love those direct deposit numbers I see every two weeks. The house I live in now I bought in 2014 when it was a buyer's market. Now it's worth close to three times what I paid for it. And that doesn't include all of the upgrades I've made over the years that include a new roof, new windows, new appliances. I also redid the patio to include outdoor cooking space with a built-in grill, griddle and pizza oven, a firepit and added a swimming pool.

So with that, I'm glad I moved here. But with the corporate bigwigs loving my job performance, and I can write my ticket to anywhere, so I can't wait to move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Fort Wayne
View detailed profiles of: