U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Fort Wayne
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 03:01 PM

8 posts, read 39,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdcdguy View Post
Six- This is a very conservative town.In a conserative state.Anything outside the norm will get stares, or raised eyebrows.Yes, it is rude. But,like you said, the people here are pretty nice.
Hi! Yeah - That's what we pretty much tell ourselves. We've made a couple of friends here but we just don't feel like we really fit in. I had gotten what I thought was a good job offer here and that's what prompted the move to Ft Wayne. Unfortunately the reality of the job in no way resembled its description.

The funny thing is what passes for the norm here in Fort Wayne is so dated in other parts of the country. When we got here we joked that it felt like we were in a time machine set to the late 1980s early 1990s.

Anyway - I apologize for derailing this thread! In my opinion Fort Wayne = not racist.

Matt
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2007, 03:21 AM

14 posts, read 85,864 times
I've been here since mid-June....I'm trying not to make a quick judgement on how I feel about this city....so far my transition has been rough....thank God...our son's transition has been smooth....

Old 07-10-2007, 11:26 PM

4,679 posts, read 11,222,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTrio View Post
I've been here since mid-June....I'm trying not to make a quick judgement on how I feel about this city....so far my transition has been rough....thank God...our son's transition has been smooth....
Sorry to hear of such. What area, if I may ask, did you decide to relocate? Is your son going into public or private school? His thoughts/feelings about the area? What about your wife's? Seriously, in my now ~6 years of being in and near FtW, I've not seen any racism. Is that what has been rough about your transition, or has it been other item(s)? Best to you and your family.

Old 07-14-2007, 05:11 PM

14 posts, read 85,864 times
Sorry...if I was misunderstood in my regards to my transition to Fort Wayne...I have not experienced any racisim here in the city...We relocated here from Charlotte, NC.....probably more racisim there than here....He will be going to a private school in the fall....It is a Christian school....My wife has made a smooth transition....

Old 07-18-2007, 09:13 PM

47 posts, read 141,553 times
I can't speak for all of Fort Wayne, nor would I want to. I have friends that are all of different colors, backgrounds, religions, shapes, sizes & stats. I have never heard one of my friends talk about "hate crimes" aganist them or not feeling @ home here in the Fort. I'm not saying there are people who don't hate on that basis because I know they are out there... it's like that one spot around your toilet that you can scrub and scrub... but is it ever really clean?

You will hear the bad & the good... yet it will be up to YOU to answer your own question. I hope you enjoy your time in the Fort... and your experience is a good one.

Old 07-31-2007, 06:35 PM

2 posts, read 14,015 times
Default Racial intolerance in Fort Wayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unbreakable1 View Post
I know you love Fort Wayne, but you don't have to exaggerate.
As a white man who has been living with a black female for the last 8 years in Fort Wayne, I know a whole lot about the racial attitudes of this city. If you're not in an inter-racial relationship, then you really have no clue as to what the racial attitudes are really like, since you aren't on the receiving end.

Try living with a black woman on the southside of Fort Wayne as a white man, and then tell me Fort Wayne isn't racist. I can't begin to count the number of altercations that have taken place between myself and some ignorant fool who couldn't control his mouth. So much we just moved out to the northeast side of town to get away from it.

My girlfriend has had to live with the brunt of the ignorance that comes from the black community that is very intolerant of a black woman dating a white man all the while being very excepting of a black man dating a white woman. Shes heard it all in the last 8 years, but she's got very thick skin. She's had too.

Now we just deal with the "looks" from the whites out where we are living now. Fort Wayne is very divided, and having graduated from Southside High School, I know more about the southside of Fort Wayne than most. Low crime rate? You haven't lived south of downtown then. I'm not saying it would be any different in any other city in America, because I believe it wouldn't, but to deny it exists in Fort Wayne is wrong!

Old 08-04-2007, 01:17 PM

3 posts, read 29,975 times
i worked in fort wayne for several months and there were several racist . most of them were black. the only reason there are more white racist than black racist is because the white population is larger. but a larger percentage of blacks ( per population ) are racist. only diferrence is white people have to be careful of what they say in front of minorities, but the minorities can speak there mind without being called racist.

Old 08-06-2007, 02:35 PM

6 posts, read 26,584 times
Default Not to worry

I grew up in Fort Wayne and didn't realize how racist everyone was until I married someone of another race. Like most say, it is not openly racist. But having been other places and seen much worse I would say don't worry. No one will openly comment at you and it is not so much a hate thing, but a lot of really stupid people who have not been in very diverse environments. You will be safe and it is for the most part nice. And like I said I have seen a lot worse. However beware if you ever venture up north there around Auburn, Garrett, and those places. They are a lot of true bigots up there and the KKK is still very active.

Old 08-06-2007, 02:39 PM

6 posts, read 26,584 times
Default sort of agree with Jess to

Racist views are multi-racial. But race doesn't make you unsafe in Fort Wayne like it does in some areas.

Old 08-15-2007, 10:21 AM

1 posts, read 6,565 times
I was born and raised in Ft. Wayne, Indiana, however I am only 19 years old.

I am a caucasian middle/upper class resident on the South Side of Ft. Wayne.

While there are many nice neighborhoods and housing opportunities on the South Side of Ft. Wayne, the south side has a stereo type of being a rougher side of town, lower incomes, less opportunities... etc.

I have lived on the south side of ft.wayne my entire life and I love it. Race has never even been an issue towards others FOR ME..... My best friend in 3rd grade was mixed... and the boy I thought I was in love with when I was 11 was black. I have two uncle Carlos's (Hispanic) on both sides of my family... I have several black uncles. However, in that family there is racism. One of my aunts whom won't even attend interracial weddings. So you must know... it does exsist.

My Church is also on the South Side of Ft. Wayne and one of it's biggest goals and dreams is to be a church of diversity and culture (No doubt we have far to go!). I went to South Side High School with us among the top ten most diverse high schools in the nation. So you must know for me... diversity has always been taught as a beautiful and enriching aspect of life.

I have friends who go to to other schools across the city. In more of the what I call "white boring everything is the same neighborhoods" A few of my friend's parents cultivate negitive attitudes towards other races yet are blinded that they are racist. (I rarely see this because my world is so different from theirs.) (One would see and experience more racism in the neighborhoods up north and out west (meaning white towards minorities).... some parts of ft. wayne have not become very interracial which means there is still room for growth)

My friends are a mix of mainly white, black, and spanish. I have friends with bright pink hair, dread locks, I have Hardcore,punk, preppy, urban, "ghetto", and many other friends, I have friends with all sorts of styles and races. They all live well and happy here in Ft. wayne. (You cannot ever get away from judegment completely in a city)

Before I conclude I will say one thing about racism that has offended me personally. While I may live in diverse circumstances there have been several times where I have experienced racism. Being a white female I believe there are a lot of African American's who are also racist here. Just with some people though. Like "Whatchu doin wit dat white chick?" or "Naw man, dey white folks." My sophmore year someone actually said "Why you white girls tryin to get wit our men, you gots your own kind." And in a spanish class when one girl got angry at me she slurred out a lot of things about my race. While my school has tons of people who were friends with tons of different races there still is that negitive mindset in some people. And I periodically felt discriminated against because I was white. Yeah, it was not the best feeling to be categorized, but I know who I am and I don't hold anything against them.

I mean I hate when white people are racist towards other races! I hate it! And it was an all new experience to be hated simply because I was white. I hate the feeling of being judged by my skin. And while I believe I am capable of breaking those barriers with any race...... racism does exist.... but there are people fighting against it.... there are a million (exageration) more people I know who do not even think for a second about race... than people that I know who do.

Someone said earlier in this post that caucasians need to be careful what is said around minorities... however.. it is true that most any minority can say most anything about a caucasian and we as caucasians are forced to accept it and not say anything back.(it doesn't bother me so much because I'd have nothing to say back... but just the fact that because of our races we are held at different standard) Yeah, it's aggrivating... but this issue is so small. The battle of racism has to be fought. And I know this issue of racism does not plague this city.

Depending on what situation you are put in, what part of town, and the types of people you interact with your experience with Ft. Wayne will be different than each of ours. I can tell you on my behalf that racism is not an issue and that other than sometimes admiring the differences of my friends... I do not even blink at race.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Fort Wayne