U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Fort Wayne
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 08:22 AM

360 posts, read 732,750 times

Advertisements

Been here 11 years and while Fort Wayne isn't the most liberal place, it's hardly the most racist. It's far more racist in the areas surrounding Fort Wayne (especially north of Auburn and around Huntington) than it is inside the city. In fact, I haven't heard that many prejudiced comments for people here and. I often listen in to conversations while it appears that I'm doing something else (old habit from my supervisor days).

While there are going to be problem people and problem areas in any city (Waynedale,"Rivertucky", and New Haven be the chief areas around here) for the most part Fort Wayne is among,in my experience, the least racist areas in this state.

If you think that I'm wrong, take a trip over to Terre Haute. Now that area is racist...LOL
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2015, 06:40 PM

3 posts, read 6,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belovenow View Post
LOL - I have to laugh; it would appear that there's at least one troll in this thread but at the risk of angering them by calling them out or challenging them, I'd rather just describe my own experience. Racism in Fort Wayne is nothing compared to elsewhere I've lived (Buffalo NY, NYC, Connecticut/Westchester NY area, and "many" cities/vicinities in the southern US). In the 12 years I've been here, diversity here has increased a thousand-fold, and I've seen as many interracial couples as anywhere I've been in and outside the US. If there's an issue with race, I don't see it, and I own a popular retail store where thousands of people a year come in and out of all ethnicity, and from all walks of life.
ok. To even call someone a troll.... You cannot possibly be of color. Racism is almost always subtle and never in your face. Bigotry is. Prejudice is. Huntington indiana was a sundown town. Now, go look up habeas corpus and where that originated. It will lead you back to a house where slaves where held until they could be sold back south. Also, 70 percent of fort wayne is caucasian and 15 percent afro america. Go figure the other stats. Most of the whites here do not know a black person, and yet still are afraid of them or have opinions. Believe me, i am generally the token black. I get asked all sorts of insane questions. I get asked if my hair can be touched. If its real. "you are so pretty for a black girl!" "you are so cool for a black chick!" "why do blacks always...." Um. Until you grow up on the northside of fort wayne, going to predominately white schools, white church, etc...you as someone not from here should not even pass opinion on if ft wayne is racist. You have noooo clue.
i have literally had to argue with former friends that i do not understand or relate to the stereotypes of "blackness", i still have to let individuals know what they see on t.v. And what reality is, is two different things.
There are tons of holes in the theory that racial diversity and equality exist in a place where wowo is the dominant radio station. Lol. Ok. Maybe if your view of racial diversity and acceptance is seeing 2 hispanic amd one black at kroger on dupont(auburn has the highest amount of millionaires per capita in all of indiana), then you are right. I know blacks that would not dare go to the north side of town. They are terrified of the law enforcement pulling them over. There are very little jobs on the south side, and yet for some reason, you see very few blacks hispanics or asians in positions of power prestige, hell, any position.
please, you must be a liberal and a blind one at that.
just because someone claims to "not see color", doesnt make them understanding. Infact, it makes you ignorant and without understanding! Go out and have a discussion about race in ft wayne. Someone non white. Then comment. Albeit you will appear to be the bigger troll.

Old 06-19-2015, 02:35 AM

29 posts, read 93,102 times
Wow! I am wondering how true the racism in Fort Wayne is lately? We,are looking at moving there in the next few months and we are a mixed heritage family. I am of German and Spanish descent, my husband is Hispanic, my son looks white - he got my pale skin tone - and my teenage daughter looks Hispanic but can't speak much Spanish at all. I am hoping it is not as bad as I have read here.

Old 06-20-2015, 07:58 AM

1,765 posts, read 3,232,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McdonaldIndy View Post
This thread is worthless. Best idea is to take what they say with a grain of salt.
Not everything you see on the Internet is true.
What qualifies you to provide information about race relations in Fort Wayne?

Old 10-13-2015, 05:40 AM

1 posts, read 1,615 times
From a black professional prospective... Yes Ft. Wayne In is quite racist. I graduated high school there in 1999. at Paul Harding High School, and lived in the SE section of town. This area was more of middle class minority section of town, never had a issue, When my family decided to sell our home and buy a more expensive home on the SW side of town, Aboite Township, a more white middle to upper middle class section to Ft Wayne, All hell broke loose. Cops harassment, being treated differently at Scotts and Kroger grocery stores, and other shops in that area.. This is when I saw racists acts (directly and indirectly) at its peak. We only stay 1 year, we since moved out to AZ.. But I haven't forgot.....

Last edited by coolcar26; 10-13-2015 at 05:43 AM.. Reason: Grammer

Old 02-25-2019, 11:07 AM

380 posts, read 190,898 times
I'm an old white guy (66 years old) and I suppose I'm the epitome of what any non-white person has been taught to avoid. I can tell you for certain, though, that all old white people are no different than any people of any race. People are afraid of what they dont understand. Let's try to understand each other! When I was a young fellow we all feared that we would be overtaken by things we couldn't understand. In my young mind I felt that I should just fear black people because this is how I'd been taught. I'd been taught that black and Hispanic people would take things from me. What things? People generally fear change. White folks got control of things early on in the USA and then they feared giving up control of any part of it. I grew up with this mentality. People have been in transition for millennial. We are all searching to carve out a PERMANENT place for ourselves and our posterity for a very long time. We seem to do this by race. Somehow race makes each of us fear each other. We all seem to think that we need to fear other races because "those people " are trying to establish some sort of competitive advantage against those who are similar to us. This is all NONSENSE! Race is not relevant. We are all people and there is no need to fear one another. As a white guy I was taught to believe that all black and non whites are alike. I now know that this is nonsense. Race doesn't matter in Fort Wayne or anywhere else. It only matters if we make it matter. Let's not make it matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Fort Wayne