Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Fort Wayne
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 05:55 PM

2 posts, read 28,883 times

Advertisements

My husband and I recently relocated to Fort Wayne. We have family near here and in Indianapolis. We find ourselves traveling to Indy most weekends because there seems to be a lack of things to do in Fort Wayne.

We are in our mid-twenties, without childern....and looking for some things to do for fun that are worth spending our time and money on. What do people do around here for fun? I'm interested in finding some cool things to do...but am not even sure where to start looking.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2007, 03:46 AM

1,320 posts, read 3,700,899 times
There will be others who chime in here. I have only lived here for a few months. Fort Wayne has a monthly type magazine. You can find it in book stores. It has a lot of good stuff to do. Maybe you can tell us what you enjoy doing in Indy, so we can determine what we may have here. I can say if you like eating out, or retail shopping, you don't need to go to Indy, as there is a lot here. Other will be more helpful.

Old 02-10-2007, 06:08 PM

95 posts, read 456,009 times
Define 'cool things to do' and what kind of things are you looking for? Pool halls, bars, karaoke, wizards ice hockey? I could name things off until my fingers shrivel up, but I dunno any of your interests.

Old 02-11-2007, 11:56 AM

1 posts, read 24,596 times
Arrow Things to do in Fort Wayne

Good luck in finding much of anything to do in Fort Wayne. I spent 4 of the worst years of my life in that place. We had to drive to Chicago, Milwaukee or Indy to find anything of interest. Of course back then, we were newly-weds, so you can guess what we spent most of time doing!

There used to be a few places to shop in the center of town, (Huttner's Paris, Bon Ton, L.S. Ayres, even a G.C. Murphy 5 & 10 cent store) but now there are no stores downtown. It's been turned into a business center.

Now all the stores have moved to the Southside, and believe me they have stores!

Try to make friends at work/church and find things you like to do on your own. I made it through - so can you!

Old 02-11-2007, 02:01 PM

95 posts, read 456,009 times
edit: Do you live in Ft Wayne now? There is quite a few things to do, and believe me... there's only a few stores that moved to the southside.

You didn't look around enough to really figure out what to do if you had to drive to Milwaukee to find something to do.

Old 02-11-2007, 03:03 PM

261 posts, read 1,271,923 times
Local music.

That was the biggest highlight in the years I had lived there. I moved away in 2004, and I miss the Fort Wayne live music scene something fierce. There is such a variety of music there to see, from the acoustic acts at places such as Henry's, the Green Frog, or the Dash-In; to the rock/metal bands at Columbia Street West and Legends; to the karaoke at 412 Club; to jazz at Club Soda; to the just plain fun and weird music at Mad Anthony Brewery.

The site is down now, but at some point, check out www.fortwaynemusic.com. It's a great way to get a handle on what bands are there.

I was single and was there right out of college. Overall, I had a great time there. Most of my friends lived in West Central, which is the historic area next to downtown. Just walking the area during summer, I bumped into lots of people out enjoying the day...walking dogs, playing guitar, painting the neighborhood or the river.

If you like more outdoors sort of things, Franke Park has some really great trails to go mountain biking on. I've wrecked more than once on those hills and wouldn't trade it for anything. Also, as was mentioned before, there is a local hockey team as well as a local baseball team.

And in the summer, Fort Wayne has more festivals than any place I'd ever been before or since. It was like there was one almost every weekend.

Lastly, I can't forget to mention the local art scene. I loved it! Artlink, Castle Gallery, Avante Garde Gallery, 1911 Gallery.....the list goes on. Making the effort to go to some of those shows will be well worth it. There's an ecclectic mix of people.

There is a free weekly publication called WhatzUp that will have some good ideas, and The Journal Gazette runs lists in its Friday Weekender section. Those two publications should guide you even further.

Old 02-20-2007, 12:39 PM

31 posts, read 153,142 times
18 years here after a transplant from NY. Nothing here then, less now. Just a little town that thinks it is Indy, but not.

Old 02-20-2007, 04:10 PM

3 posts, read 33,008 times
No one has mentioned that most major music acts pass through town and don't forget the Embassy Theatre if you like Broadway shows. We also have several local Theatre groups. The Phil Hormonic for classical music is a treat as well. The problem is the people that live here don't make the most of it. I've lived all over the world and people can be very rude in the fort. If they wouldn't be so ignorant they might appreciate what they have at home.

Old 10-22-2007, 06:34 AM

1 posts, read 23,428 times
Since you are in your 20's, you may want to consider joining the local 20/30 club. It is a great way to meet new people, serve the community and have fun.

Old 10-22-2007, 09:35 AM

2,218 posts, read 5,393,724 times
If you think there is nothing to do in Fort Wayne then that's all you'll ever get out of it is nothing. You have to look for things to do. So all these people that say there is nothing, don't even try to find things to do.

Something for everyone is the Fort Wayne Children's Zoo, they just put in a lift that takes you over the African Velt, but it won't be done till 2009. It's still nice though. This is also where Franke park is.

You have Glen Brook Square Mall. Lots of stores, food, etc..

The Coliseum is hosts many events. If you like the outdoors, I suggest the sports, vacation and boat show when it comes. It's nice. Otherwise, they have just a boat show, camper shows. They also do a monster truck thing, that I never go to, because I don't like that stuff lol. Then you have the Komets, Wizards, Fort Wayne Fusion. The Komets are a pretty good IHL team. The Wizards... Well not so much lol. The Fort Wayne Fusion, I don't really watch arena football.

If you like movies you can go to the Regal or the Rave (there are more these are the 2 I frequent). Stadium seating all that stuff. You have Jefferson Pointe, which is located off of 14 (Illinois road) which is where the Rave is. Lots of stores, food, car stores, Meijer, Menards, Staples, Lowes, etc..

If you like Arcades, the only one I ever go to is Putt Putt. Nice arcade, and they have go-karts and putt putt.

If you'd like to go downtown, there are things to do there. During the colder days they have ice skating at the park. On the warmer days you can rent a bike all day for cheap and travel the many paths. Or if like me, I just walk.

If you're feeling fancy, Club Soda, Hall's Gas House, The Park Place. Are all nice choices for food.

There is also the Arts United Center which does events every so often, I just watched the Philharmonic play there Saturday. And speaking of the Philharmonic you can usually catch them at the Embassy.

There is also the Botanical Gardens downtown, I like it.

The Grand Wayne Center does things every so often, I've just been meaning to go there ever since it expanded to see it.

There is Georgetown. They have bowling and shopping.

There is also Fox Island(nature preserve). There is also an observatory there. It's not big, but if you like to look at the stars.

There is also Lakeside park. Very nice place. If you want to know about that one, you'll have to look it up! :P I don't want to spoil it.

Like I said, Fort Wayne is what you make of it. If you feel there is nothing to do and bored. Then that is all you'll ever get out of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Fort Wayne