U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Fort Wayne
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 03:35 PM

155 posts, read 729,108 times

Advertisements

I'm a former resident who goes home every year for a visit. We usually hit The Tavern at Coventry and Biaggi's. Would love a few new recommendations. Recently learned about Opus 24. Anyone have a review to share?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2007, 04:41 PM

17,700 posts, read 37,351,037 times
Josef Decuis in Roanoke is supposed to be one of the best restaurants in Indiana.

Old 01-24-2007, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Josef Decuis in Roanoke is supposed to be one of the best restaurants in Indiana.
Someone on another forum, I think it was Cooking Light, mentioned the same restaurant. Have you eaten there?

Old 01-25-2007, 05:30 AM

17,700 posts, read 37,351,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyM View Post
Someone on another forum, I think it was Cooking Light, mentioned the same restaurant. Have you eaten there?
No, but I hear it's top notch.

Old 01-25-2007, 10:01 AM

2,775 posts, read 3,412,312 times
I've been to Joseph Decuis a couple times --- good food, unique romantic atmosphere. It's what I would describe as fusion cuisine. I've had fish, veal, and chicken there with my wife... all tasty. I remember the deserts being beautiful and good too. The restaurant rotates Chefs and the menu changes... so you never really know what will be available.

In downtown Fort Wayne is a very nice restaurant called Parkplace... went out with my wife there last year via a friend's recommendation and I highly recommend it as the food there was delicious. There was a live piano player and singer, everyone was all dressed up and service was excellent. It has an indoor parking facility attached and you can actually catch a carriage ride in the park next door in front.

A lot less formally, my family and I really enjoy both Flanagan's and for mexican, Cebolla's. Local places that have good menu's, food, and value.

For great hibachi shrimp/steak/chicken - there's a place on the east side of downtown FW called Takaoka of Japan.

Nearby Takaoka is a place called Club Soda - a unique atmosphere which is hard to describe, it has great food and drinks.

In all honesty - my entire family loves Biaggi's a bit more than all the other places I've mentioned. Food is a value as portions are huge, the bread they give you with the Biaggi's butter is awesome, and any of the meals are delicious. Lastly, the atmosphere is great for both a date night or going out with the kids.

Fort Wayne also has many other restaurants - if you have a particular cuisine in mind let me know - my wife and I consider eating out a hobby. If you want to be adventurous, I will absolutely recommend an Indian restaurant called the Taj Mahal. It is in the plaza across from Flanagan's and oh my gosh the Chicken Makhani is amazing. Most people don't know how to order Indian food unless they are of that ethnicity or have friends of that culture. I am one of the latter... if you order a combo platter or go during the buffet you can try all the different flavors and textures unique to Indian cuisine. You will not be disappointed. As with Biaggi's my entire extended family loves Taj Mahal when they visit.

Old 01-25-2007, 07:18 PM

95 posts, read 431,950 times
Paula's Seafood on Main street is fairly good.

Old 01-25-2007, 07:29 PM

Joseph Decuis sounds like a place dh & I would thoroughly enjoy, but we're home visiting my almost 90 year old mom and I don't think that would really fit her style. I asked about Opus, because that's close to where she lives and has just enough variety to make it sound interesting for all of us.

I'm not familiar with Flanagan's, but that's also in the area according to my Google.

Have to be honest that I've only been impressed by Mexican food twice in my life. First time when we spent a month in Mexico City and the second when we found a little hole in the wall here in Baton Rouge. Unfortunately, it was gone after a couple years, but great while it lasted.

Indian food is something I've never really tried beyond curries and lentil soups. Again, not likely my mom would be interested.

Club Soda looks like it may cater to the young professional? I wouldn't mind trying it, but probably not with mom.

Takaoka of Japan is a Don Hall's restaurant isn't it? I recognize the name from the gift certificate I give my mom at least once a year. LOL That might be a fun dining experience for her!

You've given me lots of great ideas and I'm printing this thread just so I don't forget next visit home.

Thanks a lot!!!

Old 01-25-2007, 07:32 PM

James, missed your post while I was posting. I'll add Paula's Seafood to the list. Might be a nice lunch spot. Thanks!

Old 02-04-2007, 03:57 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,281,980 times
For an outstanding Hot Dog you need to hit Coney Island in downtown. I think it's on Main. I grew up on them and whenever we get back to Indiana I always drive from Indy to Ft. Wayne and get at least 2 dozen to freeze and bring home to Minnesota...they're much better fresh though.

Old 02-06-2007, 07:32 PM

95 posts, read 431,950 times
If you wanna try some coney dogs, venture into New Haven. Right where IN14 and IN930 split stay on IN14 then swerve right into "Cony Dog Cafe" right there by Arby's.

They were voted number one by the guy who writes reviews in the Journal Gazette in Ft Wayne, even over Jeff's Coney and Coney Island.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Fort Wayne