U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Fort Wayne
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 12:27 PM

137 posts, read 371,151 times

Advertisements

Most places are what you make of it. It is also what you compare things too. Fort Wayne is not Chicago, NY or LA or Charlotte, Indy or Columbus. But, when comparing Fort Wayne to other similar metros with about 500,000, it stacks up pretty well. Great zoo, museums, sports, recreation, shopping, culture, dining and a downtown that its getting a nice boost.

I always find it interesting when people say things like, city X is so boring compared to city Y. Without taking into account that city X has a population 500,000 and city Y has a metro of 10 million or even a city of 2 million. There is a very good chance city Y has more to do than city X.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2010, 03:15 AM

202 posts, read 708,748 times
read the Fort Wayne Reader and pick one of the many things they mention to do. The Art Museum is free on Thursdays and Sundays. Go to the Brass Rail and see great bands pretty much every night of the week. Go to Henry's and eat great food.

Old 04-13-2012, 04:06 PM

1 posts, read 1,540 times
Best place to find a good pool table without everybody wanting to shoot for money

Old 04-15-2012, 08:29 AM

20 posts, read 43,931 times
Grab a little magazine called "Visit Fort Wayne." Lots of suggestions. Also, the art museum is good and has a very nice gift shop with all local artists.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:22 AM

12 posts, read 32,217 times
I am bummed that there isn't a fun water park here. I know a theme park like Kings Island isn't something that would happen but people here tell me it is because Fort Wayne is small. Here I am thinking " thats crazy! Fort Wayne is said to be the 2nd biggest city in Indiana." I also wonder because if that is the case, why is there a nice water park near Merrilliville/Portage Indiana. I guess I was just spoiled living in Cincinnati OH with 3 awesome water parks and a great theme park. It does make me wonder what activities when we have children, we will be doing.

Old 06-07-2013, 12:53 PM

2,775 posts, read 3,253,190 times
To follow-up The Jorgensen YMCA now has an outdoor pool and waterpark area that just opened a few days ago... it is actually really cool. Additionally, since this thread was first begun, there are now bike trails connecting most of Southwest Fort Wayne so that you do not need to jump in the car to go everywhere. There's also a lot of "splash pads" in the city parks (Buckner Park on Bass Road for example in Southwest Fort Wayne) so that families with young kids can enjoy the hot summers. It's not Kalahari, but it is free and clean! Painting Fun Spot is still in existence at the corner of Scott Rd and Illinois Road and it has a much larger location and more things appealing to adults (ceramics/pottery items which are fired), and a lot for children of all ages as well.

Overall I just feel like this area has grown significantly since this thread was first created, heck we even have an IMAX Theatre at Jefferson Pointe too! As I've gotten older, Fort Wayne has gotten better for sure.

Old 06-08-2013, 08:50 PM

202 posts, read 708,748 times
Cinema Center, Cinema Center : Fort Wayne, IN, is a great art house movie theater with film screenings daily.

Old 03-29-2018, 02:40 PM

1 posts, read 588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperTrail View Post
Local music.

That was the biggest highlight in the years I had lived there. I moved away in 2004, and I miss the Fort Wayne live music scene something fierce. There is such a variety of music there to see, from the acoustic acts at places such as Henry's, the Green Frog, or the Dash-In; to the rock/metal bands at Columbia Street West and Legends; to the karaoke at 412 Club; to jazz at Club Soda; to the just plain fun and weird music at Mad Anthony Brewery.

The site is down now, but at some point, check out Home @ FortWayneMusic.com Bands :: Local Music, Shows, Festivals and More!. It's a great way to get a handle on what bands are there.

I was single and was there right out of college. Overall, I had a great time there. Most of my friends lived in West Central, which is the historic area next to downtown. Just walking the area during summer, I bumped into lots of people out enjoying the day...walking dogs, playing guitar, painting the neighborhood or the river.

If you like more outdoors sort of things, Franke Park has some really great trails to go mountain biking on. I've wrecked more than once on those hills and wouldn't trade it for anything. Also, as was mentioned before, there is a local hockey team as well as a local baseball team.

And in the summer, Fort Wayne has more festivals than any place I'd ever been before or since. It was like there was one almost every weekend.

Lastly, I can't forget to mention the local art scene. I loved it! Artlink, Castle Gallery, Avante Garde Gallery, 1911 Gallery.....the list goes on. Making the effort to go to some of those shows will be well worth it. There's an ecclectic mix of people.

There is a free weekly publication called WhatzUp that will have some good ideas, and The Journal Gazette runs lists in its Friday Weekender section. Those two publications should guide you even further.
Sites up...

FortWayneMusic.com

Sorry for the 14 year delay in responding. Haha...

Chris

Old 02-25-2019, 10:43 AM

380 posts, read 189,765 times
I grew up just outside Indianapolis but spent 33 years in Fort Wayne. Comparatively, I'll take Fort Wayne any day over Indy. The cost of living in Fort Wayne is so much less than Indy and Fort Wayne has many great neighborhoods to live in. You have to get involved in Fort Wayne to feel a part of it. Fort Wayne has many fine things to offer. They have a Philharmonic, a semiprofessional baseball team, the Coliseum with many fine concerts, the Komet hockey team, many beautiful city parks. I grew up within 15 miles of Indy but I'd choose Fort Wayne over Indy any day! Much nicer community than Indy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Fort Wayne