Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Fort Wayne
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 10:08 AM

1 posts, read 5,235 times

Advertisements

It was offensive nonetheless. I would hope you would not make a generalization on the class of a group of people based on their skin tone. Why is it any more acceptable to make that type of sweeping generalization? Such statements are never accurate and always misleading, because no group of people is the sum of one person's acquaintances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2007, 02:30 AM

14 posts, read 89,305 times
As a transplant...I think that this city is somewhat backwards...and I will not say "no offense". I had the worst experience signing my son up for football..In my opinion a child should be able to play for any league if he or she is a willing....the Police Athletic League is very selective and misleading. My son is a forth year player and was not selected in the "draft". They made a decision based on an index card. They knew nothing about him and did not give him an opportunity to even show his skills...then they had the nerve to recommend what in my opinion is a second rate league....of course the recommendation did not include the METRO league....which is where my son ended up playing...and I am very happy and impressed with the league...and yes we live on the NW side of Fort Wayne and can afford to live almost anywhere in the city. I do feel like there was some discrimination there, but I can not be sure. The person who finally called me back with a response as to why he was not selected...started out by quizzing me about where we lived and who we knew....finally, I told him that "I didn't get a warm and fuzzy feeling from the POLICE ATHLETIC LEAGUE and chose to take my son to another league...several miles from my home." Believe me, there are not many black faces that play in that league and it seems that they (PAL) like it that way. They never have to worry about my son playing on any of their teams or receiving any support from my family and I will tell any friends both black and white to stay away from the "selective" group. The funny thing about the whole situation, all the white people I tell about the "draft" seemed not to understand why he was not selected and thought that any willing player would be selected for a team....GO FIGURE!!!!!

Old 08-16-2007, 02:36 AM

14 posts, read 89,305 times
CORRECTION: we actually live on the NE side of town....I'm still learning my way around.

Old 08-16-2007, 08:13 PM

15 posts, read 57,453 times
Default reply to house Hunt

Try of Wheelock Road, Their is Hunters Point (Where I live) Mystic woods, actually a ton!!! Great houses and very nice $. We may actually be moving unexpectedly... our house may be up soon....lol.... Very close to 469 & 69 and we are about 4 minutes from Dupont. Please feel fre to email me. It is a very nice neiborhood and quiet. But very close to everything!!! Cherry Hill golf course is across the street. We looked at Dupont area ourselves but it seems to be getting very hectic!!! I don't want to move but husband my have instant job transfer!!!

Kristen Kristendrew@verizon.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfraley79 View Post
My husband and I are most likely moving to Fort Wayne, with our two young children, by the end of the summer. We've traveled there to house hunt a couple of times and have seen about 25 houses in the $150,000-200,000 price range. We like a few of the neighborhoods in NW, specifically the Pine Valley Country Club subdivision.

Does anyone have any other neighborhood suggestions or any comments on the pine valley sub? We're trying to get more house for our money and still be in a good school district, that's why we chose NW instead of SW.

On a different note...how come there aren't any Costcos in Fort Wayne?

Thanks,
Beth

Old 08-22-2007, 08:16 AM

19 posts, read 81,774 times
Pine Valley is a nice neighborhood. The taxes can be a bit high in there, however. I have grown up in SW schools and currently live in the NE Allen county schools. I think both school districts are good. I, personally, think that NE are a bit better than SW at this point, but I am probably a bit partial since I have friends who teach and counsel in them and they are wonderful people. I would also look at Oak Crossing (off of Tonkel) for a lot of home for the money.

As for the post on sports leagues, I cannot say enough about the Upward sports leagues in FW. They offer basketball, soccer, cheerleading, and flag football. There is a mandatory substitution policy, the draft is computerized based on try out scores and the coaches are so positive!

Good luck with your decision!

Old 08-28-2007, 10:46 PM

3 posts, read 16,634 times
I was a transplant to Fort Wayne for my husband's job. We lived there for 13 years and just recently moved away. Here's my opinion: If you are looking in Pine Valley, perhaps you'll want to consider the neighborhood of Hearthstone - which toward downtown Fort Wayne on Coldwater and turning onto Wallen Road. It is a newer neighborhood than Pine Valley, which I think most people would say is pretty dated at this point.

Many people will suggest living out Southwest - as it's considered more "yuppy" to live out SW. Southwest Allen County Schools (SWAC) are ranked better than Fort Wayne Community Schools. Still, many people will say that there are still drug issues at SWAC and some kids just feel "left out" if they are not doctor's kids at SWAC. Honestly, it's just what kind of people you are in my opinion - My husband is a lawyer, but I hate snotty people - so we preferred the "other" side of town personally. :shrug:

We lived in Cherry Hill - where houses range from perhaps $300K-and up. There are a number of more moderately priced neighborhoods popping up on the NE side of town where Cherry is - and on the NW side - where Pine Valley is at. You don't mention if you have kids - but you might consider a condo as a starting off point? There are some nice condos on St Joe Road called Sawmill Woods Condos - they are a nice starting off point and are well kept up - a nice pool - and 2 bedrooms with a basement run about $110K last I looked. We lived there for a year when we first moved to Fort Wayne and I liked it there very much. We eventually DID insist on having our own home - you know how young kids can get big dreams and not know how much of a pain it is to have to shovel the drive and mow the grass (which is included at Sawmill).

I also give big thumbs up to Upwards sports - they often have the sports for kids at local churches.....and all the kids get to play from my experience. My daughter played upwards basketball at Central Christian School - which is also a church (also where I sent her to school - private education for $2300 a year/they use Abeka curriculum which is excellent - I only wish my current private school would use it - and my current school in Warsaw costs me $4350 a year in tuition now)

Old 08-29-2007, 05:16 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,981,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinglakelife View Post
Many people will suggest living out Southwest - as it's considered more "yuppy" to live out SW. Southwest Allen County Schools (SWAC) are ranked better than Fort Wayne Community Schools. Honestly, it's just what kind of people you are in my opinion - My husband is a lawyer, but I hate snotty people - so we preferred the "other" side of town personally. )
I like the SW vicinity because of the proximity to everything I've mentioned before (highway 69, the FW Airport, Jefferson Pointe mall, the Main library, Lutherin Hospital, lots of great restaurants, two great movie theatres, and lots of businesses in general) plus because the public schools are the top-rated in Allen County. The people here tend to be friendly (as with all of Fort Wayne) and those I've met and socialize with on this side of town have been great friends. I don't know what snottiness people have experienced one side of Ft. Wayne to another. To be honest, it is usually much later in conversation that I even learn which side of town someone lives within anyway and inevitably it makes no difference at all in relationships I've formed... This is not a huge city (you can traverse from the SW side to the NW in what... 10-15 minutes!!?) LOL, if you think a 15 minute drive makes a huge difference in culture in what otherwise is an otherwise ethnographically identical population, then you're more sensitive than I.

Sure there's a lot of "young urban professionals" here - but like my wife and I, I'm pretty certain we were initially attracted to this vicinity of SW Fort Wayne because of the number of things to do, it's relative expansion rate and economic health. Lastly because there is so much to choose from if you have a young family. Is this a bad thing or is this really a turn-off for non-yuppies?

In any case - SW or NW, each to their own I guess. I suspect people are working to promote where they live (consciously or subconsciously) more than anything else. Since like I said, you're only talking about 15 minutes drive between them and an otherwise very similar set of population statistics you fundamentally cannot go very wrong with either.

Old 08-29-2007, 12:15 PM

155 posts, read 766,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinglakelife View Post
Many people will suggest living out Southwest - as it's considered more "yuppy" to live out SW. Southwest Allen County Schools (SWAC) are ranked better than Fort Wayne Community Schools. Still, many people will say that there are still drug issues at SWAC and some kids just feel "left out" if they are not doctor's kids at SWAC. Honestly, it's just what kind of people you are in my opinion - My husband is a lawyer, but I hate snotty people - so we preferred the "other" side of town personally. :shrug:
Your attitude reminds me of my mom's before she moved to Abbey Place Villas in the late 90s. We always lived in the SE part of FW and more than once I remember my mom making comments about the "rich" people who lived on the north side. She had a similar perception about the growing SW area until she moved there 8 years ago. Now she loves living in a newer, safer part of town with many conveniences. And she realizes how wrong she was.

Old 09-18-2007, 01:11 PM

36 posts, read 130,048 times
This town if full of wonderful subdivisions. If you like Pine Valley, I say go for it! Some people might think it is a little "dated", because it is probably over 30 years old. With that you get larger lots and bigger trees, and quite possibly a home that needs some remodeling. The NW school district is excellent, however beware that there has been a huge influx of people to the north, and the younger grades are very over-crowded (until they build another new elementary school) Some kids are in trailers this year.

I live south of Dupont Rd, and I am also very happy with the FWCS in the Northrop area. My kids have excelled there as well.
Good luck in your search and Welcome to Fort Wayne.

Old 11-28-2007, 12:28 AM

52 posts, read 191,813 times
Pine Valley is a great neighborhood. The homes are older, built in the late 60's and 70's, but they have a character that can't be found in newer homes. The mature landscaping looks great, especially those homes that sit on the golf course. My sister bought a huge 3 bedroom ranch on the golf course 2 years ago that needed very little updating and paid less than $115K. You can't go wrong with the NW side of town. Aboite (SW) is extremely nice too, but I am partial to NW. We are thinking of moving to FW also. If we do, it will be NW, probably in Hawthorn Park off Union Chapel Rd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Fort Wayne