Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 10:26 PM

51 posts, read 216,430 times

Advertisements

love2read

Will do. Thank you for your great suggestion. My husband told me this morning that he got the job offer, so that means we are moving. Since commuting is not a factor, I guess it makes it difficult for us to choose as there are too many options. The only closet encounter with the Dallas & FTW areas was my stopovers at the Dallas/FWT airport, so I am a little nervous here.

Thank you for your time and suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 03:29 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,487,504 times
glad to hear that he got the job

lots of people post about how difficult it is to get interview/hired when you are living out of state and wanting to move here

if nearness to DFW is a factor then some towns certainly work better than others--
we lived in Bedford off Cheek-Sparger rd for over 20 yrs--and had a 10 to 15min commute to the airport--was just great for picking-up/dropping off people
now that we live in Hurst we changed our commute and it is about 15-20 min-- still not too bad depending on the traffic
we also used a cab the last time we came home from a trip and that was like $40+ for under 20 min ride
--so getting a friend to drop you off is much better...

coming from FTW or Dallas proper could take as much as an hour

keep us posted--ask any other questions

I enjoy living on the Tarrant side--just think that the traffic and other hassle is much less--but this side is growing as well and there is certainly more traffic on 183 freeway than there was 20 yrs ago

Internet access would be important to you and I would say check it out rigorously--especially for factors like outages...
we have Uverse at our home in Hurst--some areas have Verizon--some are using cable like Time Warner
I know that some people talk about restricted band width and other factors that don't really mean anything to me but might to you

if "walkability" is an important factor to you there are few areas that really work for that in Texas

the heat and our addiction to car culture allowed most suburban areas to ignore mass transit
Dallas does have DART and is growing its structure
and FTW's T is small potato compared to it
but there are some lovely (older) areas of FTW that are semi-walkable
and some areas of Dallas that are much better--
you could check the Dallas forum for that...

Old 09-28-2010, 02:32 PM

1 posts, read 1,335 times
I am having the same problem, since am going to be moving back from Oklahoma to Texas, i have a 16years and 12years old, single parent. Am a nurse not making all that like the wannabis, want to rent first, and a good school for the kids. I am stuck distruct, confused and unhappy and wants to move back.

Old 09-28-2010, 02:47 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,920,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
You're not going to buy anything in Southlake for $350k unless it is a major fixer-upper or a foreclosure. You can occasionally find homes in the part of Grapevine that feeds into Carroll ISD for that price. Personally, I would not put a child into CISD schools because there is too much peer pressure to "keep up with the Joneses" on things like buying the kid a new car when they turn 16, lavish birthday parties, etc.

With your price range and in NE Tarrant, I would look at Grapevine and GCISD. The home prices are much closer to your price range, and the schools do not have that extreme peer pressure like in Southlake.

Good luck!
That's just not true. Here is one for 225K and it's fine. Carroll ISD

Real estate at 3270 Peninsula Drive Southlake TX - Property Details - Realtor.com - MLS #11420391 - Realtor.com® (http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail-alt/3270-Peninsula-Drive_Southlake_TX_76092_M83858-33127 - broken link)

Southlake has scores of mobile homes on up. You can go to realtor.com and search the 76092 zip and you will find plenty of homes that do not need major work under 350K.

Old 09-28-2010, 06:47 PM

the original OP was in June--
the latest post that reopened that thread is probably not looking for home to buy

Old 09-30-2010, 02:09 AM

51 posts, read 216,430 times
Not true. We are still looking. Good news is that we just accept an offer on our house. Once we close in December, we can go full steam with our house hunting.

After much driving around, we have decided that we are going to buy a home in Flower Mound. There are plenty of homes in our price range (250-350), and schools are exemplary. Lots of activities for kids, and people seem to be down to earth. Southlake neighborhood seems somewhat too intimidating for us.

Now I need help again with finding a good realtor who has expertise with the Flower Mound housing market. If anyone knows any good realtor in Flower Mound, please DM me. I truly appreciate it.

Thanks a million.

Old 09-30-2010, 09:17 AM

my post was about someone who tagged on to your original thread--
not your post

glad you got offer on your house--hope that closes smoothly--

Flower Mound IS a good area but my experience with parents there when my daughter was in high school at Trinity in HEB ISD and we played the Lewisville schools was not that sanguine--
found them to be bad sports--and when I say that I mean they went outside the bounds of what normal parents do when they cheer their kids at sport events--
that was long time ago---hope you don't have that same negative impression

Old 09-30-2010, 09:32 PM

473 posts, read 1,194,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
my post was about someone who tagged on to your original thread--
not your post

glad you got offer on your house--hope that closes smoothly--

Flower Mound IS a good area but my experience with parents there when my daughter was in high school at Trinity in HEB ISD and we played the Lewisville schools was not that sanguine--
found them to be bad sports--and when I say that I mean they went outside the bounds of what normal parents do when they cheer their kids at sport events--
I live in FM and know a lot of folks in both the HS here. So far never heard of the kind of negative experience you had. You did not mention how many years back it happened .We cannot generalize due to the bad behavior of a few specially in a sport activity. Even if we generalize, and this happened years back, the whole profile of residents would have changed by now. A home owner on an average lives for approx 5 years in a home.

Old 10-01-2010, 12:29 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,840,314 times
Quote:
My daughter plays varsity tennis NOW and in the past 2 years she has encountered kids/parents from all over the metroplex in team tennis as well as tournament play.
And for 3 years now she has had the SAME expirence with Flowermound Marcus HS... rude kids who will argue points etc... AND overly aggressive parents who make comments to players etc (not allowed at all) they will say it was a bad call etc... The coaches have had to interviene this year.
They are sore loosers ie blaming the kids, the weather, the sun, etc...
And then on the flip side are very ungraious winners, refusing to shake hands, saying it was a waste of time etc...actually laughing at the score from the sidelines!

She was expecting the kids from Southlake Carroll to be rude...but they weren't they were VERY competive and not very "social" but nice and cordial.

every year she has come home from playing Coppell and has stated they are the NICEST kids around (Even when KILLING the opponet 8-0) Very gracious winners and good sports about winning (will tell kid good shot etc...)Social and will interact with players from the other teams etc...

I too like Flowermound its a very pretty area and the schools are very good.... but it's not perfect rosey.

Old 10-02-2010, 10:39 AM

our experience was about a 12 years ago--
and one of them was really nasty--
volleyball game at Marcus HS--students were yelling taunts like "b--ch" and other pejorative racial terms (I am not kidding) at our team...which was ethnically mixed with Tongans, blacks, Hispanics and anglos

the cadre of "supportive fans" moved each time the court was switched--there were admin staff at the game (the school requires them to be there) and parents--neither of which made any effort to make that group (mainly boys) stop or remove them from the gym--
the refs never interfere when "fans" do that unless the coaches make them and our coach felt it was more important to have the girls ignore the taunts--
which I did not and don't agree with...
they also threw ice from their drink cups at our team sitting out on the sidelines

after the game was over--two parents came up to our girls and apologized for the behavior of the Marcus kids--lot of good that did--
also after the game the brother of one of the girls on our team (Tongan) almost got into fight with some of the taunters who were demeaning his sister---
She was great outside hitter for us who had her game hurt by those catcalls--which I am sure was their purpose although I am also sure they were racists or they would not have called what they did...

I have seen the same type of over-the-top bad sportsmanship at softball games my daughter played against Lewisville ISD teams
it was really an elitist attitude carried to the extreme--and not related to any stupendous performance either--they were just rude people and had no idea of what sportsmanship meant
and frankly the coaches are not doing anything to set ground rules for the parents or players which they could very well do...their coaches could have been encouraging that attitude for all I know...

at both the Trinity and Bell schools I have been in the stands as a parent and teacher and seen administrators take out students who were demonstrating worse than usual behavior--using profanity, throwing ice--
I KNOW those students were given punishment for those behaviors--
so don't say that the school can't do anything--they may not be able to PREVENT that type of behavior--I know how unruly today students are--but they can certainly administer repremands
and frankly a lot of it boils down to standards that they grow up with--
some students/people have no sense of shame anymore about bad behavior on or off the court, in or out of the classroom or anywhere else...
shame is actually the opposite of empathy in some ways--
the idea that you can demean another person with words or actions without shame means that you have no empathy for that person--
loss of empathy creates a dehumanizing attitude that is very dangerous...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth