Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 11:19 AM

38 posts, read 58,482 times

Advertisements

In need of (2) SUVs. Used with decent mileage. Best dealerships or online recommendations? Thank you for any help. Was referred to Craigslist as well - any thoughts on that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 12:05 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
Craigslist can have scammers. Take any used car to a mechanic for a check before buying. A reputable dealer has used cars and they offer warranties. yes, it is more expensive but maybe safer.

Old 06-23-2010, 12:08 PM

44 posts, read 148,274 times
Default Car Buying

I would suggest Metro Pacific Group. They are located in Grand Prairie. It is a wholesale, not a traditional dealership. They have unlimited access to auctions all across the US. Just call Ed, (903) 736-7691, tell him Jon gave you his number. Tell him what you are looking for also if you have a trade, they will do that too. Just bought a 07 Lexus ES350 from them and the detail job on that is 2nd to none and couldnt be more happier.

Old 06-23-2010, 03:33 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
check Edmunds.com and get some background what what SUVs are better deals than others---what are the areas likely to be problems with certain makes/years
check the prices for something with under 30K
make sure you get a VIN check for accidents/prior ownership

I would watch out for any that might have come from areas where there was flooding--and would definitely want to get a mechanic to check out any used car that did not come from reputable dealer

some people think CarMax is high but they give some semblance of order to buying used car

you might also check with Classic chevy in Grapevine--they are the largest SUV/Truck Chevy dealer in the US currently--
you might be surprised what a deal you could get on a demo SUV and check their used cars--they only keep the cream of their tradeins...

Old 06-23-2010, 03:37 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
You can also go to the library and check Consumer Reportsf fr what used cars are good and the price range. the April issue is the one with all the car reviews.

Old 06-29-2010, 01:29 AM

2 posts, read 3,636 times
Hey, thanks for giving me an excuse to make my first post!

I make a habit of buying/selling cars often and will shamelessly promote Craigslist. The car/truck section is VERY active in DFW area.

I do agree with some points mentioned earlier:
-there are definitely scammers, but often these ads are very obvious. Just make sure you talk to the person before giving out any personal info, and you should be okay.
-definitely get a pre-purchase inspection. I would say, if you know how to examine cars, you don't need it, but that's bad advice. A mechanic can check the inner workings of the engine, etc. Any reasonable seller should agree to let you take their car in to get it inspected before you make an offer.

One thing I like to think when I deal with private parties is that often times, the seller likes/took care of the car, but is ready for a newer one, or has any number of other situations in which they just need to get rid of their car. A dealer is a business. They are selling cars to make money, so it seems to me that it would be just as easy (or easier) to end up with a lemon from a dealer.

One great thing about Texas is that there are many big cities (and towns) fairly close to each other....so, don't forget that you can check Craigslist for these other places as well. There are websites like Craigzoom which allow you to surf listings in multiple cities very quickly.

If you have a specific model in mind, look for forums on that car. These forums are filled with enthusiasts and often have classified sections that could connect you with a seller who really cared for their vehicle.

I wish you the best of luck!

Old 06-29-2010, 04:29 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,629,228 times
Autotrader.com is a great resource to locate vehicles with, both dealerships and private. Look for what you want, then see where it is located and check on the reputation of the dealer its located at, or if its private, make a call and see what you think of the person and then you can go see it and definately have it checked out by a mechanic.

Old 06-30-2010, 01:53 PM

1,895 posts, read 3,415,903 times
make sure you get a carfax and autocheck report if you're dealing with wholesalers...check the date on them as well...if they are giving you the one they pulled prior to or right after picking it up from auction, then have them pull another while you're at the office. don't ask me why, just trust me on this.

if you're looking to buy new, i've had good trips out to classic chevrolet out in grapevine...not too far of a drive, they have about the largest invetory in America. good luck.

Old 06-30-2010, 04:26 PM

368 posts, read 1,785,440 times
I've found my last two cars on Craigslist, and have been quite happy.

First, you have to have a head for mechanical things. Second, you must absolutely know exactly what you're looking for. Otherwise, it's a giant waste of time.

Carfax is helpful, but some of us shop in an era before Carfax. How else do you think I drive a Mercedes in this economy?!

Old 07-09-2010, 09:11 AM

38 posts, read 58,482 times
Mckelly - hear you! Will keep this in mind when I'm looking for my new ride in TX. Can't wait!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth