U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2010, 12:13 AM

6 posts, read 8,634 times

Advertisements

I am so looking for a clinic or low cost vet that can do a laser surgery for my sweet caylee(3lb4oz yorkie).she cannot survive without it.I rescued her when she was two, very under weight 1lb 5oz.I was told this type of surgery cost was 1,500 and up.I contacted a clinic called animal trustee in austin,texas.they will call back monday.although she wasnt aware of this type of surgery been done there.is there anyone that could give me any help on finding a low cost clinic or vet to do this type surgery..thank you for your time..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2010, 06:41 PM

339 posts, read 1,333,105 times
A lot of run-of-the-mill vets are simply not capable to handle ESP surgery or have preformed so few that it's hard to trust they won't botch it. Unfortunately 'low cost' and qualified surgeon don't go hand in hand; more often than not with this procedure, a referral to a dedicated surgery center is the safest bet. Since this condition is quite often seen in Brachycephalic breeds, you may try searching for various local Pug, Bulldog, Boston Terrier, etc., rescue/club groups. If you explore the websites, they'll usually have a 'links' or 'vets' page listing thanks to the surgeons and vets that have offered their services; these vets are most qualified with the unique health issues of a specific breed. (In my experience many vets pretty much go cross-eyed when you approach stenotic nares, ESP, ingrown tails, intubation/anesthesia for at-risk dogs and other concerns not commonly found in mutts, Labs, and a lot of the popular, larger and more genetically sound breeds.) Plus, vets who work with rescue groups are just generally more big-hearted.

If you don't qualify for Care Credit (which I've used and recommend) here's some more links :Having Trouble Affording Veterinary Care? : The Humane Society of the United States

If none of these suggestions pan out, you just way want to make call after call to find a vet (sometimes well qualified 'country' vets are more flexible and even more experienced) that will work with you on a payment program. I have an acquaintance whose Boston needed the ESP surgery and I've been looking for the Dallas-area clinic she used because I believe I recall that she worked out a payment plan...but only because she was able to provide a down payment. But it is a $1500+ procedure so understandably vets usually need to see some good faith. If I can get that info I'll post it here. I do know her dog suffered a fairly severe infection post-surgery so that's why Care Credit is helpful in case follow-ups are necessary.

I'm so sorry you're going through this and as an owner to several special need dogs, I understand the stress for sure! Hang in there.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth