U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 11:49 PM

9,223 posts, read 14,511,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladarron View Post
"ESPN has a large footprint," Burklund said. "They need a lot of office space and parking near where they are shooting. Logistically they had a hard time finding it all together here, where they did find it all together there."

Fort Worth beats out others to host ESPN's Super Bowl coverage | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News | Breaking News for Dallas-Fort Worth | Dallas Morning News
Wow, so with all that empty office space in Downtown Dallas, as well as the surface lots, they couldn't find space? Oh well. Fort Worth wins here. With ESPN in DT Fort Worth, as well as it being closer to the stadium in Arlington, it may be safe to say that Fort Worth will be seeing more of the Friday/Saturday night action. Dallas will see the daytime action with the NFL Experience, but now, Dallas just feels so far away from the stadium/ESPN/other events. That article curlysue2006 posted also said the woman who made that decision is a Houston native. Maybe she is just sticking it to Dallas?
Rate this post positively

Old 07-23-2010, 12:27 AM
JJG

13,582 posts, read 20,469,125 times
Quote:
The city as a whole is better than Fort Worth...it's the truth.
Say what ever you want dude. NOTHING is gonna ruin this moment for us....

Old 07-23-2010, 12:36 AM

9,223 posts, read 14,511,629 times
Quote:
The city as a whole is better than Fort Worth...it's the truth.
Moderator cut: can't quote whole articles, only 1 or 2 sentences and link
http://www.beerbrotherhood.com/userimages/April06/butthurt-report-form-internet-version.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 07-23-2010 at 01:53 AM..

Old 07-23-2010, 12:38 AM

4,631 posts, read 7,782,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Say what ever you want dude. NOTHING is gonna ruin this moment for us....
The power in the Metroplex is shifting...here is more proof...LMAO...Nothing like sticking it to Dallas...Looks like Dallasites will be partying in Funkytown for the Super Bowl.

Old 07-23-2010, 01:34 AM

3,261 posts, read 8,111,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
The power in the Metroplex is shifting...here is more proof...LMAO...Nothing like sticking it to Dallas...Looks like Dallasites will be partying in Funkytown for the Super Bowl.
I don't think the power is shifting.

Old 07-23-2010, 02:38 AM

15 posts, read 39,144 times
Quote:
I don't think the power is shifting.
Haha...whatever you need to say to make yourself feel better.

In all seriousness, I like both cities for different reasons. I just personally enjoy the "small town" atmosphere of Downtown Ft. Worth.

Old 07-23-2010, 07:28 AM

338 posts, read 932,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
The power in the Metroplex is shifting
Of course it is, and this decsion by ESPN is proof positive that that's so.
And even further evidence from the link put up by CurleySue2006, there's this:
"There were pluses and minuses about both cities, and Dallas is appealing for a lot of reasons. But our whole checklist was in Fort Worth's favor."
End of story.

Old 07-23-2010, 09:19 AM

32,609 posts, read 51,197,807 times
I just thought it was really a sign of the times that the person making the decision was a WOMAN---
way to go Stephanie Druley--
KUDOS for taking a big job slot in a business (sports) where women are more often the cheerleaders than the players!!!
and not being afraid to maybe make a call that is a little bit controversial--not the "safe" choice--and one where you probably had to go against the instincts of some people in the network...
She kept an open mind and was willing to actually learn something about both areas--and she admitted she was not that familiar with FTW at all--had only been to the Stockyards area once...
PLUS--some of the people on the FTW side of the Super Bowl action committee are Roger Staubach and Troy Aikman (who may head the 2016 action committee)--who I bet had more of an "in" with ESPN than the Dallas Film Society leader--those guys have headquarters for the committee in bldg my husband works in and they are seen going up the elevator fairly frequently--so they are getting to see Sundance Sq for themselves--and personal comments can go a long way when you are asked about certain venues...

and she is right about having people in Sundance--they work there and they play there even during the week...
the only issue--to me as someone who lives in the area--is that getting to Arlington from downtown FTW is not that easy because there is really only one way to go--and if the freeway is crowded or there is accident then you are SOL
Arlington has done lot of work to improve its surface roads and done work on 30--don't know if all of that is really going to be done by Super Bowl
certainly lot of the 114/121 interchange that is undergoing makeover is still going to be under construction which will make driving in from outlying areas a hassle--
but frankly don't know how many people locally are actually going to be at that stadium...

anyway
congratulations to ESPN for having at least one woman in position of power
Looking forward to watching more Super Bowl stuff on that channel when I probably would have been using one of the locals

and take advantage of all the wonderful restaurants in Sundance area--you won't regret a single choice I bet...

Last edited by loves2read; 07-23-2010 at 09:31 AM..

Old 07-23-2010, 05:18 PM

3,261 posts, read 8,111,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curlysue2006 View Post
Haha...whatever you need to say to make yourself feel better.

In all seriousness, I like both cities for different reasons. I just personally enjoy the "small town" atmosphere of Downtown Ft. Worth.
Yeah, I am still angry.

Old 07-26-2010, 12:55 AM

73 posts, read 248,468 times
Dallas is past its prime, what is even there anymore really? Fair park? Victory? West end? Deep ellum? Lower greenville? All those are well past done. Uptown is about the only hip left, but Dallas hasn't got a thing over downtown Fort Worth. Your zoo stinks, and your gardens shrink. Can your private college go toe to toe? You can have your Hicks - I'll take a Bass any day...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth